Friday the 13th struck. - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Friday the 13th struck.

I went down today, but given the choices going down was the best option.

I was going down route 1 in maine from Bangor to Rockland, on my way to the north Atlantic blues festival. I came around an right hand corner that is on a small hill. To the left of the apex is a gravel yard so the road was dirty on the blind half of the turn (going south). I was going threw the turn at around 35-40ish and as I peeked the hill leaving the apex their was an suv stopped in the middle of the road trying to turn left into the gravel yard to turn around. I had seen them enter the turn in front of me at the same speed I was going so I definatly wasn't expecting them to be stopped in the road. I braked as soon as I saw them and thought that I had enough time to stop, but I didn't count on the road being dirty as I didn't know their was a gravel yard there. I realized that I wasn't going to be able to stop and have just a close call so instead of trying to slow enough to not get hurt badly by hitting them I leaned the bike over then locked the front wheel (my mistake, I was letting up on the front brake as I leaned but not enough soon enough so it went down hard and slid into the ditch as I rolled to a stop behind it in the emergency lane.

What I Learned.

Don't ride on friday the 13th.

Apparently that turn is well known for being trouble, the EMT's told me that.

Buy a motorcycle rated jacket, leather alone is not close enough. Even if it's not the one you want most.
(my right sleeve pulled up on my arm.)

Icon Gloves work well.

HELMETS ARE A MUST!!!
(but you already knew that.)

If you think you have time to think after you start going down your wrong it's just too fast.

People are really nice after they cause an accident.

Every biker that passes you after a crash makes you feel worse.

You can't predict when your going to go down so always be ready.

If you have ever wondered what you would be thinking when you crash it's some thing like this. (pre-crash) Is all about looking for an exit, enough said.
when I was going down I thought what is happening? I was trying to get my bearings and get oriented, but rolling and sliding weren't helping that at all.

After I stopped rolling these were my first four thoughts,
Am I Dead? no
Can I get up? maybe.
Am I still in the road? no
How bad will this hurt in a few minutes?
(is the bike ok would be in there somewhere if it were a nice one.)

The bike melted/scraped/cracked the right fairing too much but it's still on the bike.
that is the only visible damage.

At 3000 rpm their is a really bad sounding clanking, My thoughts is that one of the friction pads in the clutch dropped off.

here is all I walked away with (thank god).

I just really want a bike with a turbo, because their are those times when you pull up too a stop light next to a cop, and I think a really loud PPTTTSHIIISHHHHHHHH would make his day. =P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 07:17 PM

Ouch, sorry to hear about that, man. Glad you were able to walk away, and that the bike is still rideable.
heal fast mate!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-14-2007, 01:03 PM

Kiss the helmet good-by for it did its job. Good helmet to have around so as to remind you.

Yes a good jacket can really help out. So you testes the gloves & that makes one realize they or better models will be worth the money.

Gravel on pavement it like marblies on pavement & unless it is a straight run through all should be well, but if something is forcing you to drop the anchors------well it is going to be painful & hurt the bike & you.

In almost daily practicing for Observed Trials, MXing, Cross Country or tough enduros I would basically come off at least once or three times in a day and same thing like "Am I alive----can limbs move, what happened, where is the bike" & thing along the same line. Mind you sometimes I realized it was a bit more serious so I am wondering how long have I been knocked out (consussion) to go over to the bike & find the fins of the bbl were cold as was the header pipe which told me I was out for at least 30 minutes or more----no one around to help or tell me, for I was a solo in practicing dirt comp just as I am in riding street irons.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-14-2007, 01:15 PM

Shame to hear about your crash, mate. Hope you and the bike heal quick and get back on the road.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-14-2007, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
Kiss the helmet good-by for it did its job.
I'm still using mine after my lowside; its just too expensive to buy another $350 helmet. I bought it less than a week before my fall, too.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-14-2007, 09:14 PM Thread Starter

I will defiantly will be buying a new helmet, and jacket, and most likely gloves (one seam wore threw the stitches) I can't suggest using a helmet after a fall. even if it looks alright, it really isn't one of those things you want to be wrong about.

I will be getting the Shoei X11 in monza red, and the Icon motorhead leather jacket in white. I will look like a clown but people will see me.

[EDIT]
I'm not going to keep the helmet I was wearing. The driving school that I took my permit class in collects the helmets of former students that have crashed, to show the new students that you really do need one.

I hope I never get into a situation where I crash and no one is around. When I was riding quads I would never ride alone, if it would get stuck or you get into trouble your not going to find someone to help you. It makes me think twice about riding the bike alone. where I live it's not a long ride to places that it would take hours for someone to drive by.

I just really want a bike with a turbo, because their are those times when you pull up too a stop light next to a cop, and I think a really loud PPTTTSHIIISHHHHHHHH would make his day. =P

Last edited by SexieWASD; 07-14-2007 at 09:23 PM.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 04:18 AM
Strength and Honor

Quote:
Originally posted by OSUrid3r
I'm still using mine after my lowside; its just too expensive to buy another $350 helmet. I bought it less than a week before my fall, too.
Helmets are designed for single crash only. The cracks you can't see make them far less viable as safety instruments after they've been dropped from a significant height or involved in a crash. All you're really doing is fooling yourself by wearing a broken (and often, used) lid.

The cost is high, such is the hobby of motorcycling. That's probably a reason most senior members have basic color helmets: they're cheaper

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 04:21 AM
Strength and Honor

Re: Friday the 13th struck.

Quote:
Originally posted by SexieWASD
I went down today, but given the choices going down was the best option.
Very sorry to hear that. Jackets that are tight fitting at the wrists and zip or have other mechanisms to make them tight around the wrist are important. Gauntlets help cover that area further. The jacket should also fit tightly around the waist, though zipping it to your pants is a FAR better choice.

Quote:
If you have ever wondered what you would be thinking when you crash it's some thing like this. (pre-crash) Is all about looking for an exit, enough said.
when I was going down I thought what is happening? I was trying to get my bearings and get oriented, but rolling and sliding weren't helping that at all.

After I stopped rolling these were my first four thoughts,
Am I Dead? no
Can I get up? maybe.
Am I still in the road? no
How bad will this hurt in a few minutes?
(is the bike ok would be in there somewhere if it were a nice one.)
I recall having a similar set of thoughts. The disorientation is unlike anything I've ever experienced.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Just ordered the ICON Motorhead leather jacket, I will have to wait to get money for the helmet so I'm not going to to be doing as much riding for a while. My father is willing to share his helmet (we are the same size).

As for the bike, the clanking sound has disappeared. My father suspects that it was caused by oil filling the cylinders when it was on its side, causing and increase in compression. I'm not so sure so I will be taking it to a parking lot tomorrow to give it a test ride.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 05:21 PM

Send a message via AIM to Tippmann Send a message via Yahoo to Tippmann
That pic really makes me want to break out my half helmet and go for a ride.

Quote:
Originally posted by sidewaysducati
SWIPE THE CARD GRANDMA!!!
SWIPE THE GODDAMNED CARD!!!!
WARNING
If you are reading this then this warning is for you. Every word you read of this useless fine print is another second off your life. Don't you have other things to do? Is your life so empty that you honestly can't think of a better way to spend these moments? Or are you so impressed with authority that you give respect and credence to all who claim it? Do you read everything you're supposed to read? Do you think everything you're supposed to think? Buy what you're told you should want? Get out of your apartment. Meet a member of the opposite sex. Stop the excessive shopping and masturbation. Quit your job. Start a fight. Prove you're alive. If you don't claim your humanity you will become a statistic. You have been warned...... Tyler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode