Twin headlights and foggy visors don't mix! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation Twin headlights and foggy visors don't mix!

So, there I was, riding to work yesterday morning. It was damn cold and the sides of my visor were a little foggy. I approached a T-intersection, looked both ways and saw a vehicle coming from each direction.

A second look told me that the vehicle in the near lane (on my right) was far enough away for me to pull out. Through the fog on my visor, the other vehicle appeared to be even further away, so I pulled into the intersection.

Part way into the intersection, I glanced to my left and realised, to my horror, that the vehicle to my left was a bike with twin headlights and it was a f*ck of a lot closer than the "car" I had mistaken it for! I shot across his lane and pulled straight onto the edge of the road (only about 2' wide).

Thankfully, the other rider was on the ball. He slowed and went wide enough to avoid a collision, then hung his hand out at me as if to ask, "What the f*ck are you doing?!"

I stayed in the emergency lane for about ten seconds, thinking about how close I'd come to taking out a fellow biker.

Lessons learned:
  • Make sure visor is always free from fog.
  • Twin headlights don't always mean a car that's a long way away. Take a second to check that it's not a bike with twin headlights.

Anyone else ever been in a situation where they've made an error in judgement and almost taken out another bike?

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 05:22 PM

Cookee---it is time to lay off the idea of a snort or two before you go riding again. LOL

Yes I can see how that could have been a fatal error. The Fog well I am hopless & cannot drive or ride with fog or fogged up visor.

Still I have noted a few chaps have the headlamp cut off & only the two lights to the left & right of the main headlamp on their HD or Cruisers. Personally I thought that was a good move upon their parts.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 08:00 PM

Johnson and Johnson "No tear Shampoo" is a great anti-fog substance. they use it a lot for scuba diving.. just wash it on the lense for a second and you're good to go

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-12-2007, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Raichu
Johnson and Johnson "No tear Shampoo" is a great anti-fog substance. they use it a lot for scuba diving.. just wash it on the lense for a second and you're good to go
Thanks, mate, I might try that.

What I really need is a better helmet with improved ventilation. However, we've just spent AUD$1500 (US$1275) on a jacket for Mrs Tree and pants and boots for us both, so a new helmet will have to wait.

(Must take some pic's of Mrs Tree in her leather to show y'all. )

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 06:04 AM

Glad to hear you got out of that one in time, cookee..
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 08:07 AM

I've bought this (after reading some reviews) but haven't had a chance to put it on...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cat-Crap-Anti-Fo...QQcmdZViewItem

Ironically, it is in Melbourne so it will get to you faster then it got to me =)
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 08:16 AM

The other thing that works really well, both on the inside and outside your visor, is Rain-X. You can get it at any auto parts store. I don't know if it's available in Australia, but I'm sure if it isn't there would be a similar product.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 10:33 AM

+1 on the Rain-X, that stuff is amazing. I have it on the cage, no need for wipers unless its REALLY coming down.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2007, 10:59 AM

Cookee, are you back on the ZZR-1100?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-14-2007, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the tip, Mister Tee. Yes, it is available in Aus. Might even look into that Cat Crap.

ZX - Yep, the big girl is back up and running. Just gotta get the carbs tuned for the new motor. This one's got standard cams, so it's running a little rich.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode