New bike question 600 vs liter - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 11:03 PM Thread Starter

New bike question 600 vs liter

Need some help but a little background first.

Learned to ride at 8.

Road dirt until I was about 15.

Got my MC license at 16 and started on a basic honda 500
standard.

After that it has been all older liter bikes.

Ninja, FJ1200, Vmax.

I haven 't owned a bike for about 7 years ( I am 36 now) but I do ride my friends BUSA all the time. I don't have any other riding experience on newer sport bikes other then my friends BUSA.

I am thinking about getting a new bike and at first I was thinking about a 600 (something different etc.. ) but I sometimes think it won't be fast enough for me as far as shear accelleration performance.

I also drag race cars, mostly low 10sec fox bodied mustangs.

I am not planning on any track time. Mostly rides up in the mountains of Colorado.

I am not to sure about a bike that is all upper RPM power with little in the mid range.

What do you guys think? Go for another liter bike, thinking about a busa or gixxer 1000, or maybe get a 600?

How do the newer 600cc bikes compare in power/accel/speed compared to older liter bikes?

I live at 8,000' and I am also wondering how much the altitude will effect performance.

Any suggestions? I am really having a hard time since I have never ridden a 600cc sport bike before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 04:46 AM

A new 600 has gobs of power and will getting u going and keep u going just fine. Even if u are a big person. U will be able to suprass any speed limit in the US in under 5 secounds on a 600.

A new 1000 has gobs and gobs and gobs of power. and will be just that much faster.(bikes is only as fast as rider) If u can see if u can test ride them. If u are going to be doing a lot of twisty stuff. I'd say get a 6 becuase they are a little more nible.

Even though u ride a bit now, it also may not be a bad idea to get ur first as a 600 evne for a year or two just to get reunited with bikes in general Then maybe upgade to a 1k.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 06:41 AM

The reason for getting a 1000 vs. a 600 is not for power, as mentioned, but if you're primarily doing street riding, particularly a lot of freeway riding, a 1000 will be less buzzy at freeway speeds, and it will be easier to ride around town because you don't have to do so much shifting.

The tradeoff is that for the most part they are less agile than 600's - not so much due to the increased weight (which is very minor) but they typically run a larger rear tire and wheel size. The other tradeoff is that (at least in the case of Suzuki's) you have to run a minimum octane of 90 in a 1000, vs. 87 in a 600, which can be an issue if you ride a lot.

Personally, I love my 750 - identical to a 600 in size, weight and handling, but with close to the kick of a 1000.

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 06:56 AM

In terms of sheer acceleration, the 600's are really not that far behind the liter class. 600's run mid 10's in the quarter mile vs. a literbike at high 9's. The big difference is that 600's make all their power up top- 10,000+ rpm, vs. literbikes that just make power and torque everywhere, all the time. Personally, I like having the instant, on-demand power that a literbike affords. And yes, altitude make a BIG difference to motorcycles in terms of performance. (a literbike at 5000 feet is about as quick as a 600 at sea level)

On the other hand, it can be fun wringing the neck of a 600 at 15,000 rpm, they get good gas mileage, are not nearly as hard on tires, and are cheaper to insure.

Can't really go wrong either way, it just mostly comes down to what you plan on using it for. As an example, for two-up riding, the occasional longer distance sport-touring trip, or highway riding, the literbike would be better. For lots of canyon carving or track days, the 600 would be a good choice.

Either way, I'd suggest you swing a leg over a 600 and give it a good workout to see for yourself. You may like it or you may not, they are very different.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 08:51 AM

600's today are as fast and mostly faster than older 1000's.

At high altitudes...I have no idea of the differance so i cannot toss my input in on this one.

zxrider is right, its hella fun ripping on a 600 as compared to an effortless 1000.

I would say if your at 8000' sea level, try a GSXR 750...light but has awesome power. But definetely test drive some 600ss's before you purchase.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 03:08 PM

I agree with the gixxer 750, but if you like fast acceleration/power with out high revs, look at getting a nice v-twin 650 or even a liter. V-twins have a lot of torque in all gears and there are some nice liter bikes out there such as aprillia's or ducati's.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 04:04 PM

The advantage of my Honda 929 & 954 is that with the FIS I do not have to worry about altitude even though ALL my riding is up in these Cdn Rockie Mtn roads.

The torque from the bike is a blessing for you are not continually going down a gear or two or three to get by one or two cages in front. Sometimes if you are up in 5 though it is simply turn up the wick & scoot buy them, but if you need to move fast then down a cog or two & the bike is on pipe immediately to simply explode under you.

They are light for mine are dry weight of 374 to 370 & with factory crank power of 150 to 155hp well the power to weight ratio is outstanding.

You know all his by riding your friends Busa, so it is up to you. True they use up a bit more fuel, but even in town they pull nicer at low revs where a 600 looses out. Still if you love shifting like mad then a hot trotting modern 600 is the thing.

Also it will be up to you IF YOU WILL BE SAFE in riding a big one with your experience & do remember the Busa is more towards the Sport/touring class while a 1000cc Sportbike is not that comfortable for long runs.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

I love having the power and mid range torque, being able to just roll on the throttle at low rpms with no fuss while just cruising etc......

At the same time I want something that is lighter and handles better then my previous bikes.

The 929/954 just might be the ticket. Haven't these bikes been discontinued? What years are the better ones to get?

Gixxer 750 would be nice, I have ridden one. Maybe a large twin or V4?

I like the BUSA but it is a huge bike, not to mention cost/insurance etc..... Even though it is very fast/powerful, I find the bike very easy to ride.

Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
The advantage of my Honda 929 & 954 is that with the FIS I do not have to worry about altitude even though ALL my riding is up in these Cdn Rockie Mtn roads.

The torque from the bike is a blessing for you are not continually going down a gear or two or three to get by one or two cages in front. Sometimes if you are up in 5 though it is simply turn up the wick & scoot buy them, but if you need to move fast then down a cog or two & the bike is on pipe immediately to simply explode under you.

They are light for mine are dry weight of 374 to 370 & with factory crank power of 150 to 155hp well the power to weight ratio is outstanding.

You know all his by riding your friends Busa, so it is up to you. True they use up a bit more fuel, but even in town they pull nicer at low revs where a 600 looses out. Still if you love shifting like mad then a hot trotting modern 600 is the thing.

Also it will be up to you IF YOU WILL BE SAFE in riding a big one with your experience & do remember the Busa is more towards the Sport/touring class while a 1000cc Sportbike is not that comfortable for long runs.

Last edited by High Altitude; 07-09-2007 at 04:38 PM.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 04:43 PM

Send a message via AIM to Xx954HxCafexX
if i were you i would contact Jay Leno on purchasing his jet bike, sounds like it would fit you great!!
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 06:32 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to sportbikes
Jet bike is nice!

I have ridden both the 600s and liter bikes. If you want to be a better rider.. the 600 will force you to be, especially on the track.

What I mean by that... the 600 will demand that you do keep it buzzing at high revs to get the power. It will force you to shift and DOWNshift going into a turn to ready for the exit. The liter is a lazy man's bike. Flick the throttle and it will get you going even if you forget to downshift.

Check out some of our new motorcycle forums:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|

|
|
|
|
|

|
If you are interested, we are looking for moderators and admins to help grow
these sites.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode