Riding with a passenger. - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 02:34 AM Thread Starter

Riding with a passenger.

After I get a few thousand miles under my belt I plan on taking my wife with me on rides. Any suggestions on techniques that will make us as safe as possible?

P.S. She will be dressed from head to tow in gear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 06:40 AM
TMP

Everything will take longer to do... Braking, Accelerating, Reaction inputs... Just make more time and space around you and go for some short rides in low traffic environments for practice.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 06:52 AM

Make sure to tell the passenger to "be a part of the bike" and DON'T lean when you lean OR counter lean. It really sucks when you lean to go left and when you straighten up to find out that your passenger was counter leaning and that throws you to the right.

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 06:59 AM

great to hear your gearheads, the key to being a good passenger is to kinda stick the the driver. get as close as is comfortable and just mimic the driver. people trying to counter lean as a passenger is probably the worst thing a passenger can do. go with the flow.....drag a knee....haha!

oh and be sure she has got a good forward lean when you take off or you'll lose her
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 07:15 AM

Send a message via AIM to saturntangerine Send a message via Yahoo to saturntangerine
Having both been a passenger, and having taken passengers, the easiest "technique" for the pillion rider to take is to bear hug the driver. If they are holding on as tight as possible, they can't really lean too far, nor can they not lean far enough.

Just as someone mentioned, everything takes longer. There is added time needed for acceleration, braking, and cornering does have a slightly different feel depending on how the suspension is dialed in.

Once I learned to pilot a bike, I found how I rode as a passenger changed... I then wanted more "input" into the ride, and found that I already knew what lean angles to expect and didn't need to "hold on for dear life" anymore. Then I started to put one hand on the tank (to brace for hard braking) and one hand holding the "oh sh!t handle" on the tail (to brace for hard accelerating).
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 06:40 PM

Send a message via AIM to bittersweetryan Send a message via Yahoo to bittersweetryan
A few things I've learned along the way. First always make sure your passanger looks over the inside shoulder of the turn. Second it feels better for myself if my passanger uses her legs to squeeze me instead of bear hugging me. Third for stopping have her place her hands on the tank to support herself.

A good little thing to get is stomp grip as well. It will help you stay in place a little better while you are stopping.

"Let us celebrate our arrangement with the adding of chocolate to milk."
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 12:55 PM

Send a message via AIM to conrice
before hand, id make a signal between you and her. if you're going to pick up the pace a little bit, and she isnt ready for it, it will scare her and she'll tug on you... i suggest when she has her hands around you and you're ready to pick it up a bit, say you'll tap her hand two times and then go. this way its not unexpected.

that made dropping acid seem like a mild cure for boredom

'95 F3 Smokin Joe - tried to kill me, so i returned the favor and parted it out

'03 "Titanium" CBR 954 - frame sliders, reupholstered seats, cut and gutted stock exhaust, -1/+2 520 conversion, BMC race filter
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 06:16 PM

Tell her to never ever ever to take her feet off the pegs while the bike is in motion or even when you are stopped. Always check with eachother before she gets on and off the bike.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 08:20 PM
jd7

the big thing i hear all the time from my wife is that i brake to hard.guess that would explain the marks on the back of my helmet and the ones on the front of hers.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 11:01 PM

for the love of god tell her to lean with the bike, not against it. thats the most awkward and challenging situation when with a passanger.

I also always tell my passangers to put their hands on the tank when slowing down. so my balls dont meet my stomach.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode