Tire PSI? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 02:29 AM Thread Starter

Tire PSI?

I have a 97 GSXR 750 and am looking for suggestions as to the tire PSI. I would also like to know if I should change it on wet roads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 02:35 AM

The tire PSI should be indicated on the bike itself or in the manual. Stick to that.

As for changing them for wet roads, I've never heard of anyone doing it. Wet roads are dangerous enough and lowering the pressure in your tires changes the way it leans and performs, which is also dangerous.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-08-2007, 02:58 AM

Always by the book, and I have never changed in the rain either.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 07:02 AM

Send a message via AIM to bittersweetryan Send a message via Yahoo to bittersweetryan
Tire pressure is something you should be very aware of. Your tires will react very differnetly with differnet pressures.

The most important fact you are leaving out is WHAT KIND OF TIRES DO YOU HAVE? Every tire has a different reccomended street and track pressure. You will also need to clarify if the reccomended pressure is a cold or hot pressure.

If they give you a hot pressure you should typically set it 2-3 psi below their reccomended. On the track I usually set it 5psi lower and take a pressure reading right after a session to see where i'm at.

To get reccomended pressures I usually e-mail the manufacturer directly.

"Let us celebrate our arrangement with the adding of chocolate to milk."
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by bittersweetryan
Tire pressure is something you should be very aware of. Your tires will react very differnetly with differnet pressures.

The most important fact you are leaving out is WHAT KIND OF TIRES DO YOU HAVE? Every tire has a different reccomended street and track pressure. You will also need to clarify if the reccomended pressure is a cold or hot pressure.

If they give you a hot pressure you should typically set it 2-3 psi below their reccomended. On the track I usually set it 5psi lower and take a pressure reading right after a session to see where i'm at.

To get reccomended pressures I usually e-mail the manufacturer directly.
The rear tire says to not inflate more then 43psi (cold) and the front is a little less (cold). Dose this sound about right?
I did not look at the type of tire because I am planning on replacing them this week.

Any recommendations on tire type. I want something that STICKS.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-09-2007, 12:09 PM

Send a message via AIM to bittersweetryan Send a message via Yahoo to bittersweetryan
What you have is the MAX pressure and i'm sure its not the optimum pressure. If you'll be replacing them soon I wouldn't worry too much about it.

When you get new tires there is a lot of information on the internet about reccomended pressures, however, like I said before I like to go to the manufacturer and get it straight from the horses mouth.

As for which tire to go with, everyone has their own opinion of whats best. Mostly it depends on what kind of riding you do. Track, aggressive street, touring. Most ultra high performance tires these days are more than most of us will ever use on the street. They all do have their own differnet subtleties that make them unique.

I swore I'd run nothing but Pirelli Diablo Corsa III's as I do a lot of track days but also my fair share of twisty riding. I'll be slapping on some Metzeler M3's next month and see how they stack up.

"Let us celebrate our arrangement with the adding of chocolate to milk."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode