bike vs animals? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-06-2007, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

bike vs animals?

I was driving (in a cage) a few nights ago when this fox lept out in front of my car. Luckily I was paying attention and was able to swerve out of the way while going 45 mph. At those speeds, i felt the G-force effect my body.

Since then I've thought, "If I were on a bike, how would i respond to such a situation?"

And since I do not own a bike yet, I am asking you guys.. what would you do? Would you continue straight and hope the poor animal leaps out of the way, or would you swerve, risking the chances of flipping over and hurting yourself
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-06-2007, 01:28 PM

Re: bike vs animals?

Quote:
Originally posted by Raichu
I was driving (in a cage) a few nights ago when this fox lept out in front of my car. Luckily I was paying attention and was able to swerve out of the way while going 45 mph. At those speeds, i felt the G-force effect my body.

Since then I've thought, "If I were on a bike, how would i respond to such a situation?"

And since I do not own a bike yet, I am asking you guys.. what would you do? Would you continue straight and hope the poor animal leaps out of the way, or would you swerve, risking the chances of flipping over and hurting yourself
Mate, if you're in your cage, don't be swerving to avoid anything smaller than a large deer. No sense losing your life to save that of an animal!

The common rule on a bike is that, if it would fit on your dinner plate, run over it.

Also, don't get caught out target fixating on the animal. Look for the exit, not the target.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-06-2007, 08:43 PM

My girlfriend will swerve for a flying bird in front of her car..... But then again she has that estrogen stuff flowing in her. I have cookee's attitude, if I can avoid safely I am happy to save the animal, but at the cost of the car or my safety, THE ANIMAL WILL GET MESSED UP!

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-06-2007, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Re: Re: bike vs animals?

Quote:
Originally posted by cookeetree
Mate, if you're in your cage, don't be swerving to avoid anything smaller than a large deer. No sense losing your life to save that of an animal!
I made sure I wouldnt swerve into anyone. I was the only one on the road at the time (1 am on a weekday)
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-07-2007, 09:49 AM

don't be swerving to avoid anything smaller than a large deer.

Yum, venison. we're told in Wi. NOT to swerve at all. You have more of a chance of getting injured by hitting a tree or pole, or worse, another vehicle by swerving than just hitting the animal. I've also heard of people not getting their vehicle paid for by the insurance Co. because they deviated from the road. Now on a bike.... I'm damn sure gonna try to miss the deer.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-07-2007, 12:03 PM

I have heard of people hitting dear on bikes at 65mph+ and the bike stayed upright. I seen the deer hair in the head light.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-07-2007, 12:49 PM

I'd like to edit my comment. Was written too early in the morning to be thinking clearly.

If you can do so SAFELY, try to avoid hitting animals that will damage you, your bike or your car. No different to trying to avoid another vehicle really.

If you can't do it safely, run 'em all down!

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-07-2007, 04:55 PM

Quote:
[i]If you can't do it safely, run 'em all down! [/B]
Unless it is a moose. If it is a moose and the only choices are the moose or a bunch of trees, I think I will lay the bike down and pray the my gear dose what it is supposed to do.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-07-2007, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alaska
I have heard of people hitting dear on bikes at 65mph+ and the bike stayed upright. I seen the deer hair in the head light.
Paging JBaz... oh wait... LOL

I'm living proof of that situation. And yes, my avatar tells all.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-07-2007, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

heres a video that an fz6 can stand up to a deer. i see this video all the time on youtube when i am trying to look for bike videos

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...arch&plindex=0
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode