Rear Rubber - 180 or 190? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 03:44 PM Thread Starter

Question Rear Rubber - 180 or 190?

When taking my bike to get its heart transplant the other day, I stopped to get a new tyre put on the back. The old one was toast.

I had every intention of replacing the 180 with another, until I spied a 190 on the tyre rack while I was waiting. My mind started racing. The 190 looked 6" wider than the 180 and I thought to myself, "That would look sooooo cool on the back of my girl!" It was around AUD$15 (US$13) more expensive than the 180.

So, I approached the guy who looked to be in charge of the workshop and asked him about the different width and how it would affect the ride. He told me that, essentially, the only thing that would change would be the rate at which the bike leaned; the bike being more docile when hooking into a corner. All other aspects of riding would remain pretty much the same.

I thought about it for a good ten minutes. I knew I'd have a hard time justifying the extra cost to Mrs Tree. I was in lust with the look of the 190, but also love my balls! Eventually, I decided to stick with the 180.

It wasn't the cost or love of my balls that was the deciding factor. Instead, I figured that, since I'm still learning to ride this monster (remember, she's 220lbs heavier than the 250) and have yet to really start trying to throw her around, the tyre that allowed the bike to turn easier would be the better option. I figure that, by the time I wear this one out, I should have a good enough grasp of the new bike to "fiddle" with it.

So, what do you reckon? Did I make the right choice? What is everyone else running? I'm not concerned with brands, just size and why you run it.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 04:57 PM

For your interest both my Honda 929 & 954 were originally with 190 rear tyres, but the replacements have always been the 180 for the reasons you mentioned & especially as I live in the Cdn Rodkie Mountains.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 05:01 PM

agreed, stick with the 180, only reason the liter's have a 190 is because they need the extra rubber to keep the wheel stuck to the ground under acceleration. smaller tire = better performance in the twisties

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 05:39 PM

Hate riding on a fat rear tire. There seems to be more straight line stability but cornering doesn't feel as sporty. They do look nice though. I think you made the right choice by sticking with the 180.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 07:33 PM

Send a message via AIM to Xx954HxCafexX
heart transplant a new tire? i thought you were getting a new engine
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Xx954HxCafexX
heart transplant a new tire? i thought you were getting a new engine
I am. On the way to the mechanic, I stopped at another shop and got a new tyre.

C'mon, mate, try to keep up.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-24-2007, 08:40 PM

Doesn't the rate of turn depend more on the aspect ratio (the second number on the sidewall) of the tire then the overall width? I've heard that the larger tire actually can allow for more extreme leans if the bike itself is up to the job. I've heard a nice upgrade is a 190/55 tire. Read a lot of this on the rc51 rogue owners group site. Pretty sure they're trust worthy...
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 05:20 AM

On FZ1s Gen1 190s have a no benefit reputation. I tried one when the dealers 180 in stock sale turned out to be 190, wouldn't do again.
Gen2 FZ1s come with 190s, sportier riders mostly prefer the 180s .
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 06:48 AM

Also, if your stock rear is a 180, and you don't go with a wider rim, you will end up squeezing the 190 into a narrower shape and pushing the center out, which will screw up the profile and handling, so you don't end up quite getting what you wanted in the first place.

Regarding the extra leaning capability made possible by the wider 190, I suppose it might be true in theory, but it doesn't seem to be so in practice. Few riders are able to push a bike with either tire to its full leaning capability in the first place. Most people that make the swap on 600 and 750 class machines usually swap them back.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-25-2007, 07:24 AM

you can get the bike to change directions faster with a 180 vs a 190, i think its smoother. but thats just my experience. just look at those 250's fly back and forth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode