Hello - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-21-2007, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Hello

I've been lurking for a bit, and thought I'd introduce myself and perhaps ask a couple of questions

I'm in Portland, OR. My first bike was a '91 Kawasaki EX500, an awesome little bike that I rode to South Dakota and back with my father and brother.

I currently have a '94 Yamaha FZR 600 that I bought brand new back in '94, and I love it It's in great shape, as it spent some time in storage when I went to college. But its got a couple of issues...

The mirrors - the stock mirrors suck! I *think* remember reading somewhere that the mirrors from a newer model Yamaha (I don't remember which) can be bolted right on with no modifications. Anyone know which they are?

I store it in my parents shop/garage in the winter, as I only have a carport at home. But, one day, my father somehow ran into it with his tractor! Wtf. He didn't knock it over, but the exhaust has a nice long orange scratch along half the length of the can. I'd like to put something new on it, but I'm not sure what. I confess ignorance on the issue. I don't want to mess with the carburator or anything like that, I would just like a simple, relatively cheap fix. Suggestions?

Thanks for reading

Last edited by ddot; 06-21-2007 at 06:44 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 12:06 PM

I don't know about the mirror, but I'm not sure I'd put a new can on a '91 vintage 500. Unless it has a big dent or deep scratch or something like that, I'd just get the orange off with paint remover and maybe put a wire wheel to the can to buff it out.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 12:36 PM

Welcome to SBW! (<- standard greeting)

Cheapest fix would probably be just an after-market slip-on can. Not sure which would suit your bike best, though.

Plenty of knowledge on this board. I'm sure someone'll get back to you with the answers you seek.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mister Tee
...I'm not sure I'd put a new can on a '91 vintage 500...
He's currently got a '94 Yamaha FZR 600 that he bought new.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 12:45 PM

Unless the can of your FZR600 is messing up the power of your bike then leave it "as is". Put the money into helping to pay for tyres, sprockets, chain & such or a GOOD pair of gloves as so many are riding around with junk gloves. I have four set so I can change from one to the other due to hot weather & sweating, to riding in the rain.

On June of '03 my Yamaha YZF600r & I pranged (crashed) into the shoulder of a series of twisties. Had to replace the complete nose piece, right panel, signal light & mirror to other minor things--The fuel tank is a bit messed up, but all it does is carry fuel. I was simply amazed that owners of the same bike had changed their 600r for sound only & garbaged the can. I would have payed them $200.00 for the one left over.

Took me four months to rebuild the bike, but within days of the prang even with three broken ribs along with toren muscles of my right shoulder front & back I was back to riding my '00 Honda 929 just to keep in shape.

The scuffed can throws away the idea of someone stealing the bike which is fine for me.

As for the mirrors on all sportbikes the mirrors are not like a Cruiser so pull in your elbows to make a glance, but better still learn to make a proper shoulder check when you wonder about who is behind you or to your left.

Last edited by Smitty; 06-23-2007 at 12:55 PM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-22-2007, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Smile

I suppose the scratch may be a good theft deterrent. And I admit I didn't even think about the paint remover option *smacks head*. But just having this big scratch there is bugging me, and maybe I can get my dad to pay for a new can (he ran into it in the first place) Is a slip-on a do-it-yourself kinda job? I'm no mechanic, but I do some things myself - oil, spark plugs, brakes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode