Help needed buying/shipping bike 1st time! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-21-2007, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Help needed buying/shipping bike 1st time!

Hello fellas,

I am trying to buy a '99 ZX11 and have never bought nor shipped a bike with a shipper such as Forward Air. I am a little nervous I must admit, for fear of being taken advantage of by the seller (He seems like a nice older guy anyway).

The seller would not give me the last 5 numbers of the VIN. Is this a red flag?

Is an inspection of the bike at a shop necessary? It looks minty and the owner's an older guy. The bike has 8,500 miles on it.

I am planning on flying to Florida to see the bike first, and then arranging for shipping. I do not want to drive it back to MD, so can you recommend any other way of getting it back, perhaps renting a Uhaul? Forward Air's shipping fee is $500 (+100 if I want insurance). Its going to be more expensive to do the Uhaul route, whenever you drive it one way only.

If anyone can help guide me in any way I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks again,

Curt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-21-2007, 04:47 PM

Re: Help needed buying/shipping bike 1st time!

U need to inspect the bike first before u buy it. I would think that the vin would be the first thing u want to check to make sure u can register it and its not stolen or salvalge title. When I bought my first used bike from private party guy had no problem giving me the full vin number so I could make sure it was good.
Fly to FL, Rent u haul and bring it back ur slef. I wouldn't trust it with somebody else.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-21-2007, 04:49 PM

Red flag.

I wound request the whole VIN number with a carfax report AND a picture of the VIN number on the bike. Call your local DMV or cop to do a VIN background check on it to see what the status of the title is. They are legally able to give you info on that, specially if it turns out to have a totaled or stolen VIN.

Do this before you spend money on flying down there and getting it.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-21-2007, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

J and Edge,

Thanks for the invaluable information. I just shot an email to the owner. I think he thinks I can gain info about him with the VIN and possibly rip off the bike, but who really knows?

I will also have the bike looked over...He says that's quite alright. If you have any othe buying suggestions, please let me know!

Thanks

Kurt
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-21-2007, 07:07 PM

Agreed. Check that guy out.

As for shipping, I bought my F4i in Florida and had it shipped here to Ohio for $599 through J.C. Motors in about a week; practically regular UPS Ground shipping times. It was delivered through North American Special Transport which has people trained to transport bikes and they did an alright job.

Whoever you end up using, do NOT use DAS; they're a standard agent and overcharge big time. They're also super mega assholes to deal with.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-21-2007, 07:24 PM Thread Starter

OSU- Thanks a bunch! I am planning to go with Forward Air or putting it in the back of a Uhaul.

Take care,

Kurt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode