Camera Questions - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
Camera Questions

I recently got a tank cam mount from e-bay and was hoping to catch some footage of myself hitting up some twisties. I want to show a few friends that are interested in getting sportbikes that you can have just as much fun with both wheels on the pavement as you can stunting. However, the footage that I've gotten so far is not very convincing. I consider myself to be at about 75% when it comes to twisties (that's where I spend most of my riding time, and I've only found 2 other people that can hang with me so far). Even when I'm carving through some s-turns at 60mph, the video makes it look like I'm on a Sunday drive doing about 30. You can see the lean angle, but the sensation of speed isn't there. I had to double check to make sure that my speedo wasn't in kph. Anybody know any tricks on how you can capture the sensation of speed with a tank cam?

Thanks

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 04:20 PM

Is your camera also recording the engine noise? I would think that if you could add some high rev engine volume to the video that could help. Getting a camera mounted lower to the ground will help to provide a point of reference.

Or you could just go faster
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 07:11 PM

Try getting an external lens (which is no more than a camera lens with a wire that hooks up to your camera) and mount it on the side fairing or under your front fairing. Having less fixed items in the frame of the camera will give viewers a much bigger suspense factor. The eye tends to stay on fixed items.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-14-2007, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Thermide
...Or you could just go faster
ROFLMAO!!

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
Quote:
Originally posted by Thermide
Is your camera also recording the engine noise? I would think that if you could add some high rev engine volume to the video that could help. Getting a camera mounted lower to the ground will help to provide a point of reference.

Or you could just go faster
Yeah, it catches the noise pretty good.

150 looked like 75.

JBaz. I might try your idea. I've been kicking around the idea of a helmet cam, so we'll see.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 11:49 AM

Yeah, I know what you mean- Camera footage never looks nearly as dramatic as the real thing. It's very frustrating. I was following my best friend up in the canyons with a tank cam and captured him saving himself from an amazing 75 mph high-side. And even THAT wasn't as dramatic on film as you would have expected!

One thing that helps on this- I set up my tank cam to look through the fairing windscreen but position it to keep the speedometer and tachometer visible at the bottom of the screen. Everyone can clearly see the speed and rpm you're doing.

Last edited by zxrider; 06-15-2007 at 11:52 AM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by snakesht
...I've been kicking around the idea of a helmet cam...
I don't like helmet cam shots; too much movng around.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 07:16 PM

Hey Snakesht,

You're half way to a great video. Here's how you make it exciting. Pick the twisty route you want to run. Run the route with your camera mounted on the tank. Now run the exact same route 4 more times with the camera mounted in these positions on your bike:

Run 2: Left passenger peg.

Run 3: Right passenger peg.

Run 4: Left passenger peg facing rearward.

Run 5: Right passenger peg facing rearward.

If you can borrow a friends helmet cam or something that would be great additional footage too. I have a samsung sports cam that does pretty well - even comes with a external lens. Get some footage of the rear wheel in motion accelarating and slowing down. Be creative and have fun with your shots.

Now that you have your footage (I'll just assume you've got a cam that shoots to a hard drive rather than a tape) import it into a non-linear editing program like Sony Vegas, Movie Maker, Premier, etc. any will do really.

Lay each run you recorded into a layer on the timeline. Once you lay all the different runs into their own layers on the timeline you can sync them up and begin to cut between the different runs you recorded. Once you've cut between camera angles you'll have what appears to be one moment in time captured from multiple angles all at once. To make it exciting cut fairly quickly and pick a really good soundbed.

Mix it up and have fun - you'll have a kick ass video for your friends and for us of course.

Good luck with the video and let us post a link for us to watch when you're done.

Don't forget to include me in your credits either

Threemo

Truth is incontrovertible; malice may attack it and ignorance may deride it; but, in the end; there it is.

Winston Churchill

http://www.cortavine.com
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 07:42 PM

...and don't forget to submit it to Mrs Tree for grading.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 07:59 PM

threemo's got it down. I'm planning on grabbing an HD cam and getting a bunch of video at different angles to edit in Final Cut Pro into a schweet movie.

Its better to have someone very skilled with a camera waiting for you to go by at a curve and its 2x better to go riding with someone with a similar camera rig.

Can anyone say Ghost Rider?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode