What does being smooth mean to you? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 06:48 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to bittersweetryan Send a message via Yahoo to bittersweetryan
What does being smooth mean to you?

If you've ever ridden the track most likely you've had a control rider tell you that the main key to going fast is being smooth. The same principals apply to street riding, if you want to go fast comfortably you need to be smooth.

What exactly does being smooth mean to you? To me it means smooth on the throttle smooth off the throttle. Smooth on the breaks, smooth in shifting your body around.

I think the biggest thing thing in being smooth is being prepared and thinking ahead. For instance if you are making a right hand turn and try to hang off, apply the brakes, downshift, and countersteer all at once there is no way you can be smooth doing it all at once. Now if you shift your body first, then do your downshifting and breaking all before your turn in. You can use all your attention on each action. Then when it comes time to turn all you have to do is countersteer.

I dunno, I just want to see what other peoples interpertation is.

"Let us celebrate our arrangement with the adding of chocolate to milk."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 07:16 AM

To me, it means not getting bitch-slapped in the club trying to score.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 07:18 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to bittersweetryan Send a message via Yahoo to bittersweetryan
Quote:
Originally posted by Mister Tee
To me, it means not getting bitch-slapped in the club trying to score.
Thats being a pimp.

Being smooth is geting bitch-slapped and STILL scoring with the girl! Or is it the other way around...

"Let us celebrate our arrangement with the adding of chocolate to milk."

Last edited by bittersweetryan; 06-13-2007 at 07:27 AM.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 10:40 AM

Word.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 12:03 PM

Ryan's right - being smooth is key.

When I make a run through the twisties and look at the video I shot with my tank-mounted camera I can see and hear exactly what I've done wrong. My three biggest mistakes are not being in the proper body position early enough before the turn, not having correct throttle during the turn, and not feathering the handlebars throughout the process. What happens is the bike headshakes when I get my lazy ass off the seat and I drop revs being in too high a gear... then realize I could be going faster.

One major part of being smooth is how you hold the handlebars. If you move around with your legs you're good - if you're lazy like me and use the handlebars to help you move the bike will headshake/wobble which isn't good.

Smoothness applies to driving cages fast as well. if your car has a chassis made of wooden planks like mine you have to take smooth inputs into account to accommodate the flex you deal with.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 01:19 PM

smooth is about attitude, being prepared, and executing correctly. Throttle control plays a part, but mostly it's your attitude in riding and your reaction. If shit happens and you keep your cool and not freak out, then that's smooth.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 05:10 PM

Smooth is as bittersweetryan has put it for basically all I do in riding now is hitting the twisties & here in the Cdn Rockie Mtns where we have a lot of them to just lovely bends for this has been my home land for since '60 & prior to that it was Banff National Park in Alberta Cdn., to Calgary & Edmonton Alberta so always trecking to the east to sample out the mtn roads even if many were in gravel way back then. Error & you could be out of control & going over a mtn side with a L-O-N-G drop to your death or could be plastering yourself into the hacked out wall face of the mtn.

You do that during 75% or 95% of your riding days & you have to be smooth & knowing what you do.

It is a bit like being smooth in Downhill or Giant Slalom skiing to speedskating, to Amateur Wrestling, to h/gun shooting. Note all of these are individual sports I use to compete in or still do in a few cases.

Also at 76+ yrs of age & this being my 61st year of riding to including 42 yrs of tough m/c competition I must have done something more or less on the correct side. Tack on not one automotive accident, of where I was in the wrong, is again hard for many to keep up to ALL because I road or drove in a sensible manner with correctivness being in mind.

Last edited by Smitty; 06-13-2007 at 05:14 PM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-15-2007, 03:32 PM

Everthing u do on a bike u needs to be smooth. Thats the key to going fast.

Now how can u be quick and smooth?, to go fast???
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2007, 03:56 PM

being smooooth is not having to make any abrupt CORRECTIONS to something you shouldnt of been doing in the first place...
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-16-2007, 07:18 PM

Smoothness to me is the ability to go from one action to the next w/o upsetting the chassis.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode