Serious mechanical help required! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-09-2007, 02:53 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Serious mechanical help required!

MY BIKE DIED THIS MORNING!!!

Was cruising at around 75mph, doing 5k rpm, when I thought I could hear a clattering sound over the noise of the pipes / wind. I slowed down and the noise got louder, then really loud, then the engine "clunked" and died. All of this happened within about 5 seconds, tops.

The back tyre didn't lock-up at all and I kept the bike coasting as far as I could (I was only 5 mins from work). I couldn't see inside the fairings, but the bike smelled oily. However, there wasn't any signs of oil on the road, bike or back tyre.

Luckily, a collegue, who lives close to me, was five minutes behind me and he stopped when he saw me. He has a tray-back ute, so he continued to work, got another guy and a scaffold plank and came back to load the bike up.

I've had a look at it in the daylight and I still can't see any signs of oil leaking anywhere. The oil appears to be low (below the minimum line), but the bike is on the centre stand, so it's not quite accurate. There is some there. When I checked it a couple of days ago (off the stand), it was just above the line. The oil light hasn't come at all.

I have no idea what I've broken. I'm not game to try to kick it over in case I do any more damage. I would have suggested it's siezed, but the back tyre never locked-up, so I've ruled that out (I'm no mechanic, but that just seems logical to me on a bike that doesn't have a slipper clutch).

Anyone with knowledge have any ideas??? No nonsense stuff, please, this is going to cost me $$$$ and I don't even know how to break it to Mrs Tree. We really can't afford this. It's not something I'm going to be able to fix myself. I'd like to be able to give her some probabilities so she doesn't stress out too much.

Thanks in advance...

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-09-2007, 03:47 PM

wow sorry to hear that bro, to me it sounds like someting to do with the cam chain, tensioner could have let go and caused it to jump time, its hard to diag from across the big pond but i would recomend pulling the valve cover and taking i look inside, you can also drain the oil into a pan and look for any metal and hope you dont find any. you are rite to not try to kick it over just incase.

scott
2002 CBR 954 RR
when you are on a honda you are on the best
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-09-2007, 03:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by sscottab
wow sorry to hear that bro, to me it sounds like someting to do with the cam chain, tensioner could have let go and caused it to jump time, its hard to diag from across the big pond but i would recomend pulling the valve cover and taking i look inside, you can also drain the oil into a pan and look for any metal and hope you dont find any. you are rite to not try to kick it over just incase.
Thanks, mate. Draining the oil is probably about as far as I'd be willing to take things myself.

One of Mrs Tree's collegues used to own the local bike shop, so I'll give him a call. He's done minor work on the 250 for us, but mightn't want to get too deep into this one.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-09-2007, 04:58 PM

Agree it probably did sound as if a piston was about to weld up, though I feel it could be the cam chain & tensioner have screwed up. As you have a friend that use to have a shop then good chance he can come up with better answers as he will be right there at the scene. Sorry to hear this, but these things do happen to so many of us. Tap wood that it has not happend since way back in the 80s.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-09-2007, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
Agree it probably did sound as if a piston was about to weld up, though I feel it could be the cam chain & tensioner have screwed up. As you have a friend that use to have a shop then good chance he can come up with better answers as he will be right there at the scene. Sorry to hear this, but these things do happen to so many of us. Tap wood that it has not happend since way back in the 80s.
Thanks, Smitty. I think "the friend" is def going to be the way to go. Hopefully, he's keen.

Would you believe, this is the first time in my driving / riding career that I've had a mechanical breakdown in a vehicle! Not that I've babied them, they just learn to take the punishment I guess.

post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-09-2007, 08:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to Xx954HxCafexX
seized a ring on one of the pistons, burnt valves maybe?
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-10-2007, 08:17 AM

that sucks!!! I had an older ZX9, it lost a rod bearing but it never threw the rod it still ran when I sold it but it made a deep knocking noise.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 09:27 AM

I hate to say it, but you're looking at either an engine rebuild, or a replacement engine either way.

I'd suggest seeing if someone can bore-scope your engine - that way you might be able to tell if there is major valvetrain and piston damage before tearing into the engine. The labor for a rebuild is the expensive part, and depending on the number of parts that need to be replaced, you may be better off swapping the engine out.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 10:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Mister Tee
I hate to say it, but you're looking at either an engine rebuild, or a replacement engine either way.

I'd suggest seeing if someone can bore-scope your engine - that way you might be able to tell if there is major valvetrain and piston damage before tearing into the engine. The labor for a rebuild is the expensive part, and depending on the number of parts that need to be replaced, you may be better off swapping the engine out.
I'm hoping things aren't that drastic, but I guess we won't know until the thing comes apart.

If I can get "the friend" to do the job for me the labour cost will be less than a mechanic, but the time taken to fix it will be longer as he works as a teacher. Of course, depending on what days he worked on it, I'd be available to assist as much as possible, which might speed things up.

I really don't want it to be off the road for too long.

Thanks for your help, everyone.

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy Update...

Okay, so I started taking fairings off this morning to try to get a look "inside". Things have gone from bad to really f*cking bad.

First thing I noticed was a bit of oil on the pipes under the front of the engine. Then, nestled amongst the pipes, I found this...

Here's a pic of the front of the engine, showing the oil and the area that the piece came from. Anyone know what componentry area this is and what the piece might be from???

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode