The addiction grows! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2007, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

Talking The addiction grows!

Back when I did MSF(2005) I was really getting into the whole motorcycle thing. I got my bike in early '06. I've noticed that my love for motorcycles has grew steadily as time has gone on. As well as knowledge but I'm far from perfect of course. I've been twitching to be able to ride whenever I want for some time now.

FINALLY, my bike is getting shipped from my home state up to the base I'm currently at and I get to ride again.

I'm curious though, when did you all actually start getting into sportbikes and why? My reasoning, oddly enough, was because of my ex-GF.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2007, 08:44 AM

Send a message via AIM to bittersweetryan Send a message via Yahoo to bittersweetryan
If you think you are addicted now, try riding the track once. I swear its worse than crack, thats why its called the "Track pipe".

My curent fiance got me into sportbikes. Now everytime I go out on it she loves to remind me, "You owe me for getting you started."

"Let us celebrate our arrangement with the adding of chocolate to milk."
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2007, 08:46 AM Thread Starter

I was actually looking around this area for some tracks to play on.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2007, 09:03 AM

i just like toys...although sprtbikes have become a way of life for me now. next is a quad, then a dirt bike, then a jetski...maybe not in that order but eventually.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2007, 10:08 AM

Re: The addiction grows!

Quote:
Originally posted by Vipes
...when did you all actually start getting into sportbikes and why?...
I got into rding because of fuel costs. Lucky, too, since fuel has risen from 75c/L back then to $1.30/L now!

I always said I'd never ride a bike on the road, but I'd moved to a rural area (to be closer to Mrs Tree - we were only dating then) and felt a lot safer than if I were starting out in the city. Of course, now, riding in the city doesn't bother me.

I found a dealership that ran a course similar to the MSF. Turned out, they also had a free, two-hour introductory course, designed to see if you really liked riding or were any good at it. So, I took Mrs Tree there for her birthday. She was stoked, we had a great time and we both fell instantly in love with being on a bike!

It's great now that we've got two bikes and can ride together again.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2007, 12:41 PM

In late 1948 basically I started to modify normal street/hwy bikes for road racing. In those days there were no bikes off the m/c floor for flat tracking, dirt hill climbing, scrambling as called then, Observed Trials, Enduros road racing, cross country racing or such.

So what I like on the road racing bikes was transferred to the hwy/street bikes & later it became called "Cafe Racers" by the Brits so well before the Jpn big four started to produce sportbikes some of us were producting comp bikes & some were street legal. Finally the Jpn makers offered comp bikes of different forms & some yrs later on sportbikes. SO as some were ttying to stretch out the front forks to build so called choppers some of us were way ahead of them or even the m/c makers.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-08-2007, 01:09 PM

To me, a sportbike is the closest thing I can get to flying an F-16, which is something I probably won't get to do in my lifetime. Pushing a bike to it's limits is also one of the best on-ground training exercises one can do for aerobatic flight.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-09-2007, 07:22 PM

I have a dirtbiking friend from back in high school that always wanted me to come out and ride with him. After my first year of college I finally went over on a good day thinking "yeah, bikes are cool but I'm not really sure if its my thing but what the hell, I'll give it a shot". I went riding twice over his house and I was *totally* hooked. I wanted to ride harder, faster, and on actual roads. I started reading everything I could in any free time I had and I frequently dreamed of being on a bike to the point where my left foot and right hand would twitch, so I've been told.

A few months later I bought my CBR and its probably the best thing that's ever happened to me. By the way, riding my CBR was the third time I've ever ridden; I even blasted it down the highway my first run to open it up and get that immense satisfaction which hasn't worn off yet.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-10-2007, 12:05 PM

Send a message via AIM to saturntangerine Send a message via Yahoo to saturntangerine
I got started on 2 wheels in general as a kid riding a 50cc Honda in the backyard with my little brother. After I grabbed a handful of front brake and flipped that bike head-over-heels, my parents thought I'd feel safer on a 80cc fat-wheeled dirt bike of some kind... I think Yamaha, but I'm not sure. Then my dad sold off all our dirtbikes (my brother's 50, my 80, and both his dirtbikes).

First, I got into cars (yes, F&F started it, but I soon learned F&F had nothing to do with anything). Then about a year later dear daddy came home with a BMW F650GS Dakar dual sport. I took one look at it and thought "gee, that looks like fun". It also helped reaffirm my inner strength, for at the time I had gone through a lot, so it kept me strong and focused.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode