radar/laser detectors - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-07-2007, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
TMP

radar/laser detectors

Who's using what and how is it rigged to your bike???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-08-2007, 02:53 AM
Strength and Honor

I use a Passport 8500 but not on the bike (yet). Attachement seems pretty simple since it comes with an easy electrical splicer. Suction cups to windshield, ear bud speaker.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-08-2007, 03:44 AM

the big question is does it work?

'Tell the truth and shame the devil,' my mom used to say, but she forgot that sometimes you can't shame Mr. Splitfoot sober. The Irish know, but of course they're God's white ni##$rs and who knows, maybe they're a step ahead."

Beer, of course, is actually a depressant. But poor people will never stop hoping otherwise.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-08-2007, 06:13 AM
Strength and Honor

Quote:
Originally posted by Karmastuntra
the big question is does it work?
On the car, yes, very well. To properly use any detector successfully you have to understand that you depend on bounced radar/laser signatures. Thus, if you're out by yourself speeding along your detector is highly unlikely to be helpful.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-09-2007, 09:13 PM

detectors do work against radar, but laser (since it travels at the speed of light) is hard to react to.

Althought radar is easy to defend against, cops are getting smarter and waiting till you are 20 ft away from them to turn on their radar, therefore, you have no time to react (just like laser)

Fortunately, some cops are lazy and keep it on, thus saving you a few bucks

http://www.radardetector.net/

^^^they'll set you up with what you need, its a great forum
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2007, 05:04 AM

I know up here in mini they are illegal to have.... I cant amagine trying to hide one while on a bike!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-10-2007, 04:04 PM

I use one in my truck and, to be totally honest, I think it's one of the best investments I've ever made. Now, I'm no fan of speeding, but on some roads there's just no way that it's supposed to be 45, and don't get me started on highways.
So, for whenever I'm in a rush, a bit of insurance never hurts. And, it's really fun listening to it go off and try to guess how many more seconds will pass before I see Mr.Blue&White sitting on the side of the road.

Make sure to check your state laws. They were illegal in CT until about 6 years ago, and the "scramblers" are still illegal. But the detectors are all you'll need.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by WSU Tony
I know up here in mini they are illegal to have.... I cant amagine trying to hide one while on a bike!
Actually, the precedent has already been set in Federal case law that you are entitled to receive any broadcast signal that may be present at your home, on your person or in your vehicle. Of course, the challenge would be an expensive proposition, but it would be winnable if you wanted to push it.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mister Tee
Actually, the precedent has already been set in Federal case law that you are entitled to receive any broadcast signal that may be present at your home, on your person or in your vehicle. Of course, the challenge would be an expensive proposition, but it would be winnable if you wanted to push it.
Maybe it's legal to receive them, but is it legal to use said transmissions to aid in the commission of a crime?
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Whoaru99
Maybe it's legal to receive them, but is it legal to use said transmissions to aid in the commission of a crime?
Short answer - yes.

We're talking about different issues here. It's legal to receive said transmissions. It's illegal to commit a crime. This argument is the basic cause-and-effect fallacy that you learn in first year law school. There are numerous legal (and illegal) activities that one could do that would aid in the commission of a crime, but unless there is specific legislation that prohibits an activity in the aid of a crime, the two are not connected.

An example of such a law would be the use of a firearm during the commission of a crime - many States have laws that address this, and it is a standalone and separate charge count. Another example is some localities have laws allowing for the confiscation of vehicles, if a car is used for the purpose of soliciting prostitution. Again, a separate law, and a separate charge.

I honestly don't think a law that defines the use of radar detection as an aid to speeding would stand up in the appellate courts (and I'm not aware of any such laws at the present.) It would fail on a few tests - for example, radar detection is a passive activity, unlike the use of a car or a firearm. Secondly, it doesn't constitute a threat to others. Thirdly, appellate courts have already found radar detection to be within the doctrine of reasonability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode