bike for first vehicle - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 06:23 AM Thread Starter

bike for first vehicle

has anyone had a sportbike for thier first vehicle, before a car? i am slightly worried about doing this because i havent driven on the road before so i would be learning with a bike.
thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 09:26 AM

Obtain a car FIRST & learn how to do normal servicing on it---think of what it would have been like in a situation like a small fender bender IF you were riding a sportbike. Drive the cage for a season & around next spring sign up & take the MSF Course which will teach you the bar basics of riding with two wheels.

Around the same time you can start to look around for a 'used' bike to lean on & NOT a sportbike as a first bike. You need something simple to learn on due to balance co-ordinations, timing, traction, & just so much more.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 01:42 PM

+1

You should learn how to be on the road before learning how to ride a bike AND be on the road.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 01:48 PM

Re: bike for first vehicle

Quote:
Originally posted by armstrong*short
has anyone had a sportbike for thier first vehicle, before a car? i am slightly worried about doing this because i havent driven on the road before so i would be learning with a bike.
thanks
My first vehicle was a motorcycle, learned to ride my friend's dad Honda cruiser on the road. Then got my motorcycle license at age 16. Took the MSF class of course. That was 18 years ago.

Then was out on the road on my own. Would I recommend a bike as a first vehicle?

I did it, but crashed once, one month after getting my own first bike (Kawi EX500). Minor, low speed drop...minor damages.

Just be extra careful, you may want to practice with a friends bike like I did, before getting your own.

Use your better judgement.
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

if i got one, it would probably be a kawasaki zzr250. and i dont know if this means anything, but i am a gymnast and my balance is a lot better than most
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 03:40 PM

I don't have a bike yet, but I'm in the same boat you are pal. Just got my drivers license and, honestly, after going to a dealer and just looking around, I gotta agree with the guys on waiting for a year in a cage. Those things are more intimidating than they look!

The only way I'd even consider it is if you raced motocross since the age of about 10.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 03:45 PM

Got my bike license at 14, cookee wasnt even born yet, but i had driven a truck since i was 8, so i guess I dont count...

Life on the farm
is a little laid back
early to rise
early in the sack...

Thank God Im a country boy
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 06:49 PM

Bro,

Drive to school everyday for a year or two first.

I was driving for nearly 5 years before I started riding. I would recommend starting out after you get completely comfortable with handling the random situations that daily driving in a cage brings. It may seem like awhile but in the meantime you can ride dirtbikes and still haul ass on those. Don't get too far ahead of yourself, trust me, you'll enjoy it much more if you're better prepared. Don't be rushed into getting a sportbike; they'll still be there when your in college, just sexier and faster the older we get.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-05-2007, 08:57 PM

where do you live? how populate is your area? if you live a busy town/city, forget about it being your first vehicle. Traffic laws and pattern is a killer to learn when first starting out and doing it on a bike is almost suicidal...

Buy a cage 1st and learn the rules of the road, then get a bike and relearn the rules for the road, but this time on two wheels (or one , jk).

The safest thing when your on your bike is to be aware of your surroundings and if you don't have any experience on the road, you won't know what to look for. At least driving a car for a bit will get you in a habit to look around. It's much more important on a bike since you are invisible out there. MSF will teach you how to "survive" with safe techniques and practices that will increase you odds of being noticed. It's actually quite simple and any idiot could have figured it out, but most of us don't realize these simple tricks or don't use it in real life until we are shown it.

btw, I started driving at 18 (I know, late start, but I was lazy in HS...) and got my bike at 19. I'm no expert at driving, but I can guarantee you that I've ridden a lot more miles on my bike than my cars. 1st year, I only drove 6k on my car. 1st on the bike, 15k+.

Last edited by JBaz; 06-05-2007 at 09:00 PM.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 06-06-2007, 04:51 AM

Besides all that's mentioned, it's kinda nice to have a car first because you can get around in relative comfort regardless of the weather.

Not saying it has to be a new car, but a car none the less.

Also, it's kind hard to sleep in your cycle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode