GF is learning...kinda - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 04:39 AM Thread Starter

GF is learning...kinda

Hey, folks. Looking for some possible advice. My GF is picking up riding and bought a used SV650S as per my insight. She was thinking of a GSXR 600 at one point. heh Anywho, she's really short. The bike has been lowered 2 inches so far but should have been lowered 4 for her. The problem is 2 is as far as the fairings will allow. The bike has been modified a lot with a whole different set of fairings just for everyone's info. Just sitting on the bike with the 2 inch lowering, she's on her tippy toes because she's only 4'11".

I'm military and not around to help her very much. She doesn't really know any other riders and is scared to learn by herself in case she dumps the bike. She's nervous right now, and having problems keeping the bike steady. She's got that "turn right" issue too.

Is there any hope for her? Personally, I think there is and her biggest issue is her nervousness. She doesn't like the fact she's on her toes at a stop though and she feels like she doesn't have enough control for the bike itself. She is getting better at a few things though. Doesn't stall it near as much anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 04:52 AM
Strength and Honor

Check out riding boots that can help with elevation. And as usual, the MSF can dispel much of the apprehension.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 06:50 AM

MSF class would be a great idea for her. It will help her with the skill set for riding. As she picks this up she will be able to concentrate on touching the ground. MSF is a good thing.

Is it hot in here?

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ski Bum
MSF class would be a great idea for her. It will help her with the skill set for riding. As she picks this up she will be able to concentrate on touching the ground. MSF is a good thing.
+1. Definitely MSF course would help. I'd let her use their little 125/250 cc bikes instead of bringing her own.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 11:29 AM

good god, 4' 11"? Hope she can figure out how to ride with high-heels and sit on phone books.

SV650 is low compared to street bikes, but honestly, I don't know of any street bike, even if you lowered it 3", would fit your gf properly. Perhaps a cruiser would suit her better as they have a lower seating position (such as a rebel or perhaps a buell, they are fairly low riding positions).
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 12:23 PM

I agree with Baz for with extended soles & heels this bike is massive in size & power. Besides the "home coaching" is good but not up to snuff of the MSF Course is.

True young women are cute at 4'11" to 5.2" though riding a m/c is almost a different story in life.

I had a gal I tought that stood 5'9.5" & could look me straight in the eyes when standing bare footed. Also she was an excellent skier, mountain climber & had an amazing sense of balance, timing & co-ordination so I tought her to ride an Observed Trials bike being a 200cc Greeves & often she beat out most of the men for I was probably one of the best in Cdn & she trained with me & more into my toughest of sections I practiced. Her long legs & amazing strength, probably better then most men thanks to being slim, payed off for she was Chinese & came from the North.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

Ack! Sorry for not mentioning it in the first post. Assumed you guys would know before I'd even want her on a bike she'd have MSF. She's already done the class.

Sorry, folks. I already took care of the obvious. The boots thing is a good idea though. Anything else?

Last edited by Vipes; 05-30-2007 at 01:57 PM.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Vipes
...Anything else?
Pocket-bike wheels???

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 05:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by cookeetree
Pocket-bike wheels???
I should suggest it. She'd probably think it was funny.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 06:09 PM

Im kinda in the same boat as you. My GF is learning how to ride as well. We picked her up a 2004 Kawasaki 250R. Price was right and she did not mind it.

The first day I brought her out was interesting! After I showed he what all of the controlls were I had her jump on it. We had to have gone over the controlls for a good 10 minutes.

After she felt comfortable with knowing the controlls "Mentially" she wanted to actually ride. I said alright! So I asked her what to do. She explained to me how she would go about getting the bike going. No problems.

I asked her how to stop. She showed me what to do. Everything was flawless, so I told her to give it a go. I ran ahead about 50 feet. She started to go, She was doing pretty good. Then she panic'd. At that time i was holding on to the front of the bike running backwards. Telling her to get off the throttle. She was like "I can't, I can't". Still running backwards I hit the kill switch.

After that she did pretty well! She was still VERY uncomfortable. So I called my uncle up to see if we could get her on there dirtbikes.

We went down and put her on a PW70. After about an hour of her riding that she was riding like a pro. She got real comfortable with accelerating, breaking, left turns, right turns and so forth.

Unfortunately we have not had a chance to bring her back out and her MSF is scheduled for this weekend. I have faith in her that she will do fine.

I think you should deffinitly start her off on something small where she feels comfortable. Comfort is key in learning. Makes you a little less nervious.

Thats my 2c.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode