license test - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

license test

I schedule a license in Pa. does anyone know what the test consists of and what is needed to pass?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 05:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to saturntangerine Send a message via Yahoo to saturntangerine
Are you referring to the test to get your motorcycle permit or your motorcycle license? I live in PA.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 05:45 PM

weave through some cones, emergency stop, couple u turns, prety simple, the fastest i hit was 15 right before the emergecy stop, saw 2 guys fail though, one of them previously had a license but had to take the test to get renewed he was harley rider said hes been riding his harley for 20 years looked like hes never rode before to me

this test is crap theres no way weaving through some cones prepares u for driving on public streets with cages o well good luck

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-26-2006, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by FormallySmoke

this test is crap theres no way weaving through some cones prepares u for driving on public streets with cages o well good luck
How much would they have to pay you, as a license examiner, to get on the back of someone's bike, knowing they have no experience, and let them take you out in the street......
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-30-2006, 05:40 PM

Probably more than they would pay you to follow behind in a DOT car with a radio talking to the guy on the bike with a DOT headset in his helmet.

Derrrrrrrrr................
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 07:16 AM

Hi All-

Years and years ago it was emergency braking around a painted barrier, stopping with the front tire in a box, U-turns within the confines of two painted lines, and a cone weave. I personally found the U-turn to be the most challenging on a normal-sized streetbike.

The secret to the cone weave is carrying enough speed so the motorcycle can be effectively leaned. If you ride 2 m.p.h. and try to "finesse" it through the cones at slow speed, one is bound to eventually nick one of them with the rear tire.

Nobody needs the hassle of returning to the testing site on multiple occasions due to failing a section. Either practice in a parking lot using an exact copy of the test (made with masking tape) or rent a 125cc bike for the roadtest.

~ Blue Jays ~
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 09:39 AM

I live in OH, so I can't vouch for consitency in tests, but should be similar. Nobody rides on your bike or follows you in a car, but you do it in a parking lot with cones and a test official. Three exercises:
1) Enter a 90 turn to the right, accel., then brake to your entry speed before you hit the cones, then continue through ~150 right turn, come to a stop at the cones.
2) Enter a box. Ride to the end of the box, do a U-turn. then do a U-turn the other way. Effectively a figure-8. Exit the box and make a hard turn either left or right.
3) Speed up to between 12-18 mph, wait until your front tire gets past the cones, then emergency brake. Your distance will be measured.

This test is easy. If you think you might not pass, take the MSF course. You will have much time to practice, the course is only $25 (the same ast taking the test,) and when you pass the course, take the certificate up to the BMV and they will just give you your license.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 11:35 AM

Dunno about your MSF course, but Wisconsins is about 90 dollars, and the wait list is about 10 months... so that might not be an option for him.

Also in WI, they do just give you a headset and follow you on the road and you just perform standard driving techniques while someone gives you instructions over the headset.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kypdurron62
Dunno about your MSF course, but Wisconsins is about 90 dollars, and the wait list is about 10 months... so that might not be an option for him.

Also in WI, they do just give you a headset and follow you on the road and you just perform standard driving techniques while someone gives you instructions over the headset.
Wow, 90 bones? Yeah, ours is 25, and about two months wait. I didn't think it varied that much from state to state since the MSF is a nationwide organization. Maybe it has something to do with the sponsor??? Ours is sponsored by Honda. I know that about every major make sponsors various schools around the country.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kypdurron62
[B
Also in WI, they do just give you a headset and follow you on the road and you just perform standard driving techniques while someone gives you instructions over the headset. [/B]
Sounds kinda like talking on the cellphone while you're driving.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode