Tire switch - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Tire switch

I put so many miles on my R6, over 12,000 since Feb, that I'm thinking of making the tire switch from the Pilot Powers, to a Diablo Strada EMS on the rear, and regular Diablo on the front.

Anyone made this switch, or similar? It sounds like it will hold up to the high mileage better, I really have to make some kind of switch, im burning through the pilots like no ones bizness, and I'm not made of cash, so I think this will save my pocketbook quite a lot, but im a bit concerned about the performance change.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 06:11 AM

I am not a pirelli guy so I can't give you imput on the specific tire you're asking about but on a side note I know that each type is designed to be used as a pair so I don't think mixing would be recommended but this is probably more of a track/performance concern than a mileage concern. If it helps you any I got a little over 4000 on a set of Bridgestone 010's.

Is it hot in here?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 06:33 AM

what's the milage your getting out of the powers

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 07:57 AM

wow dude, i thought i put a lot of miles on my bike. hmmm...i looked up the strada's and i think there worth a try. If you plan to do some hardcore twisties i wouldnt put em on but just for street and some fun in the twisties i think they'll be ok. and yes you can mix ur tires, just dont put two drastically different tires like a track tire on with a street tire or something similar but i think that goes without saying.

I'm just at 5000 on my dunlop 208's and still going. but this rear hasnt seen ANY twisties so keep that in mind. and there getting harder and harder to find. i guess i'll try the qualifiers next.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

Well from what I've read about the strada's they seem to be a good mix of longer mileage but good grip, and the different tires in front was actually recommended by my mechanic, according to him, putting a sport tire on the front while keeping the back tire as the Strada EMS will keep some of my grip, while saving me some bux.

So I dunno, is he filling me up with bullshit? Is mixing tires really a bad thing? Cuz it sounded right to me when he said it, sport front, touring back, for someone who will prolly put another 18,000 on the bike this year.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 08:23 AM Thread Starter

Oh and as for the mileage on the powers, I was getting around 6k miles, that seems about standard for the pilots and I. I run them pretty ragged, but too much of the time spent on them was on distance traveling, not even getting full performance on them.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 08:46 AM

Tire

I would think that the back is the one you need to worry about breaking loose.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 09:10 AM Thread Starter

Mostly yes, but this strada seems to be a very good tire on grip too, and frankly, I cant shell out for pilot powers almost once a month any more.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-20-2006, 09:26 AM

I just put powers on yesterday. This is my 3rd rear tire this year and my 2nd front. 7600mi so far. With the qualifier's I was getting about 3500 a rear.

Last edited by mainerdr; 07-20-2006 at 11:47 AM.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2006, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Meat_Shield
wow dude, i thought i put a lot of miles on my bike. hmmm...i looked up the strada's and i think there worth a try. If you plan to do some hardcore twisties i wouldnt put em on but just for street and some fun in the twisties i think they'll be ok. and yes you can mix ur tires, just dont put two drastically different tires like a track tire on with a street tire or something similar but i think that goes without saying.

I'm just at 5000 on my dunlop 208's and still going. but this rear hasnt seen ANY twisties so keep that in mind. and there getting harder and harder to find. i guess i'll try the qualifiers next.
Actually you shouldn't mix tires with different trea patterns. So if those two tires he wants have different tread patterns he shouldn't mix them as they will hand wet and dangerous roads differently. It just isn't a good idea to mix tires EVER!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode