Stuck at light! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Stuck at light!

As some of you know im getting a gsxr-600 in october. Till then however just to get to school and back im riding a little 49cc scooter. Well today i was on my way to put gas in it (1.2 gallon tank, lol) and stopped at the light right before it. I waited for probly 6-8 mins and the light would not turn!!! there was no one around and i knew it wasnt gonna change so i just ran the red. Was i wrong in doing this? has this ever happened to any of you guys? It has something to do w/ it not being heavy enough to be detected, correct?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 07:46 PM

Some lights are weight detected, others timed and still more are laser/inferred. In the MSF class they taught us that is there is no traffic and its safe, then running it is alright and that most cops won't say anything. It's always best to wait for the light, but I've run lights in less than 8 minutes. The one leaving my college campus is weighted, so if I leave out of line of the major crowd, I have to run it. There is a police sub station right across the street from the light, and they have never said a word or even taken particular notice to it. Just do it safely and only when you need to.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 08:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by SepiasSoul
Some lights are weight detected, others timed and still more are laser/inferred. In the MSF class they taught us that is there is no traffic and its safe, then running it is alright and that most cops won't say anything. It's always best to wait for the light, but I've run lights in less than 8 minutes. The one leaving my college campus is weighted, so if I leave out of line of the major crowd, I have to run it. There is a police sub station right across the street from the light, and they have never said a word or even taken particular notice to it. Just do it safely and only when you need to.
SepiasSoul, im begginning to wonder if your as big of a computer geek as me . Your alwayz like the first one to answer my questions and you have posts in almost every topic. Two thumbs up to you my friend. I didnt know that cops would be ok with it, but i guess youd be sittin their all day if you didnt run it.

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 09:07 PM

The amount of cast iron & so much more steel & other metals is what trips the magnets. Obviously ideal for a cage or possibly a big Cruiser or HD.

I have raised stink, especially on my way to work & home, in the past & agreed to be there. So instead of a Yamaha FZ 750 I would be there with the Yamaha TZR-250 two-stroke with so little weght, for I often like to ride that to & from work. In several cases they had used an old system from another road, so I would hound them till they put in a newer one.

They do not like to put them to sensative, but I could care less for I was the one stuck with a m/c & would have to ask someone to roll their cage over the magnet as I pushed my bike behind them.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-18-2006, 09:34 PM

A minor point, but I'm fairly sure that there are metal detecing loops under the ground, not weight detectors. Often times, at least around here, they have replaced or added new loops, and you can actually see where they are at and stop with your motor over the loop.

There are one or two lights that I've run into that I just can't get to change when I'm in the left turn lane, in those cases I jump over a lane and go straight when the light is green, and loop back around. But yeah, if you can't get the light to change then you will just have to go through it somehow.

Fortunatly Oregon is really bicycle friendly, so on a lot of left turn lanes there are bicycle spots, marked with little bicycle logos, that will detect the presence of a bicycle, or a motorcycle if I happen to be riding through there.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 03:47 AM
Strength and Honor

Stolen from another forum http://www.humantransport.org/bicycl...nals/green.htm

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 05:52 AM

Hi All-

Or make a "right on red" if your state permits that technique and loop around to continue the journey without fear of tickets.

~ Blue Jays ~
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 07:46 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
Attach a few of these to your ride....

http://www.unitednuclear.com/magnets.htm

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 08:57 AM

Funny story, I was stuck in a light today because the car in front of me wasn't on top of this white line for the left turn signal. The driver wasn't too far off from the line however, may be 2 feet. And we were waiting there for 5-7 mins, big traffic jam on the back, and it's the freeway exit. So I was wondering what the hell is going on, that signal should detect the big ass Mustang even if it's a bit off the line. So I pull up the driver and ask her to move a bit, she seemed pretty confused. She pulls up way ahead of the line, that didn't do much good. So I bring my bike on top of the line, and fortunately the minivan behind me was smart enough to figure out and also pull out on the line. 30 secs later, it goes green.

I hate these vague sensors, they should have detection radius of 20 feet.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-19-2006, 09:33 AM

Its ironic we try and make life better. Those sensor are supposed to be an improvement from the old timer system.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode