Sportbike World banner

I Finally got a bike

2K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  kanwisch 
#1 ·
No, I really did.

After the numerous threads I've started in search of knowledge about a bike I am viewing or a bike I need to view, I acually took a 6 hour drive to the farthest away city away from Green Bay that is still in wiscosin, forked over 100 dollar bills of my hard earned waiting-tables money, and drove back with it on the trailer behind me.

"It" is a 2002 Kawasaki Ninja 500r with 10k on the bike, new tires/chain, good sprockets, new battery, great clutch, and a few very small scratches from a fall over from the previous owner.

It was the deal I have been waiting for. Everywhere around here they want blue book plus. Its because these stupid ill-minded people who want to pay obsene amounts of money on a scooter/motorcycle to save on gas. (Which with paying high prices on the bikes, they will never get back)

The price I got it for was $1800 dollars even. The Blue book excellent condition price was $2965. Its funny because a local motorcycle dealer wants 3495 for a 1999 500r, dropped on both sides, and then this: (this one really gets me)

As I was walking into my bank to retreive the hard earned cash, I spotted a bike on the "For Sale" board. It was a 2002 Ninja 500r. Same color, same miles, same year. Freaky right? It was 3500 DOLLARS. I Just though that was a good omen, and I got a good laugh out of that.

Sadly, Since I am 16, (turning 17 on saturday) I have yet to get my motorcycle licence, and without so much as my temps, I do not have a licence plate. And with that said, I can't ride it for a day or two. AHHHHHH!!!!!!

Well I got a bike. Its not a 600, its not a Liter, its not a hayabusa, its a intermediate sports bike, and I am proud of myself for being responsible.

Just thought I would let the people who helped me find out what I need to know, know that I now have a bike.

See less See more
#2 ·
Sounds like your got a great first ride. Get your tags and liscense, and get all your gear. Then take it for a ride. Be easy on it. Even though its only a 500cc, it still has alot of power and would be more than capable of tearing you in two. Just make sure your legal before you get started, cops love pulling sportbikes, especially when they sense fresh meat on them. Good luck, and congrats! Post some pics when you get a chance.

#3 ·
Awesome!

Way to go man! Nice to actually see a newbie do the right thing.

By the way, you got a smokin' deal. Hell, at that price, you could ride it around for years and still sell if for your original purchase price. Seriously, that is one of the best deals I've seen lately.

You won't be disappointed with your Ninja 500R. It really is a great all-around bike. Have fun!

#4 ·
Nice bike & the slight delay will be easy to accept since you HAVE the bike now. Start looking for some sensible riding gear.

I take it you have take the MSF Course which is a MUST to anyone new to m/cing for your experience amongst the traffic is going to be so different rather then watching while you sit in the passenger seat of a car or possibly with one of your parents guiding you? Motorcycling is the mad, mad world of trying to stay alive when cage drivers do not see you nor can they judge your pace.

#5 ·
Wow, you got a great deal on that bike. Think the seller left some money on the table!

Just be careful out there, take it slow. You're young, and still learning what it's like to be out in traffic, while at the same time learning all the controls of a motorcycle. Resist that temptation to screw around on it.

Good luck...keep us posted on your progress.

#8 · (Edited)
I beleive that I am a little intimidated and frightened about riding in the traffic around here, but I guess thats a good thing, It should keep my head level and me focused. I think fear is a good thing in this case, and I am a little fearful of a cager pulling out in front of me or somthing.

I have had a lot of m/c experience, just not on street bikes! I do plan on taking the MSF (WHAT DOES THAT STAND FOR ?!?!??! ITS KILLING ME!!!!) so I can be refreshed on all of the key points. My dad has been a rider for quite a while, taught me all the basics, and tips and tricks.

I've been driving alone in heavy traffic/moderate trafic since the day I turned 16 and got my licence. I''ve logged over 13k on my mustang since that day. (now turning 17 in 4 days) So I have had quite a bit of experience with trafic, but of course I can't say I've seen it all, im only ~17!

Staying on the side/back roads is my plan until I feel I am in complete control of the bike, and know how to get out of danger.

Thanks for the encouragment!

My DMV closes at 3:30pm everyday, and I work till 3 everyday this week. So my temps are getting FARTHER and FARTHER away!!!!!!!!! AHHH!!! Oh well, Ill get some good gear in the mean-time. My father's friend has a sponsorship with Buell so I acually have access to a lot of gear that he uses/doesnt use.

EDIT:

OH I forgot to mention, there is a Vance & Hines Exhaust on there. sounds GREAT> Ive seen other videos and heard the stock pipes, WOW this V&H sounds good!

#11 ·
The V&H may sound good, but let me tell you from experience, they don't do much other than sound nice. V&H pipes primarily for HD's with a side market in SB's, so they ain't the cats meow. Don't get me wrong, they are probably better than the stock pipes and I'm not trying to burst your buble on your new ride either, I just didn't want you to get lead off in the wrong direction by the sound of your pipes like I was with mine:crying: :D

#12 ·
Don't waste you money on upgrades for a bike you might not be keeping for a very long time. Other than improving something actually makes riding the bike hard, use the cash to either get better gear or shove it away into an account for a future upgrade. Its NEVER too soon to start saving for a new ride.

And damn, that's a smokin' deal :drool: Congratulations :cool:

#13 ·
Great deal Oreo. You'll be happy with the bike for a good long while.

Congratulations! :thumb: Have fun with it, and remember to always wear gear.

I drove through Wisconsin a couple of weeks ago, and I couldn't believe the number of riders I saw with out so much as a helmet on.

#14 ·
I think a few of you got the idea that I put the Vance and Hines on myself. I did not, It acaully came with the bike! If I were to have the option of the stock exhaust or this exhaust, I might have taken the stock dual, but for 1800, I didnt have a choice. lol

I have 3 other windows up on my computer right now, purchasing gear. Its kinda hard for me to discover some good deals on gear, but hey, no price for saftey right?

#17 ·
Well I got up at 7am today, (the earliest I've ever gotten up except for waking up at 2am to drive to get the bike) and I went and got all my paperwork and got my temps for driving the 500r.

I have droven it around my neighborhood, (about 3 miles MAX roadway) and Ive put on 56 miles. Love the thing. Idk if its just because its my first street bike but damn I still havent gotten bored of my neighborhood.

I dont have a licence plate for it since the title is still being trasfered so I havent dared take it farther than my neighborhood.

Do you think If I took a copy of the title, and the bill of sale, they would let me off if I got pulled over? I dont think so but Im hoping someone could enlighten me!

#18 ·
oreo321321 said:
Well I got up at 7am today, (the earliest I've ever gotten up except for waking up at 2am to drive to get the bike) and I went and got all my paperwork and got my temps for driving the 500r.

I have droven it around my neighborhood, (about 3 miles MAX roadway) and Ive put on 56 miles. Love the thing. Idk if its just because its my first street bike but damn I still havent gotten bored of my neighborhood.

I dont have a licence plate for it since the title is still being trasfered so I havent dared take it farther than my neighborhood.

Do you think If I took a copy of the title, and the bill of sale, they would let me off if I got pulled over? I dont think so but Im hoping someone could enlighten me!
With bill of sale and the title you could simply use the excuse that you just bought it (which you did). If you've already started the formal paperwork for title transfer, bring that too and you're perfectly legal. Didn't you get a temp plate from the DMV? I presume, of course, you've got a learner's permit and that its legal for you to ride it around in your state with just a learner's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.