Sportbike World banner

Abate charity ride safety

5K views 49 replies 12 participants last post by  mkeeney 
#1 ·
Abate handles the MSF training courses, as best I can tell from MSF's site. So it was with great surprise that I heard about the following:
On July 29, 2006 the Region X is hosting a 1000 mile ride to be completed in 24 hrs for charity. All donations are being collected for the Muscular Dystrophy Association. The ride will go through 5 states including Ohio, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Kentucky and Indiana.

This motorcycle ride will be pretty challenging as the riders will not stop to sleep and rest stops will be minimal. If you would like to make a donation on Isaac's behalf, there is a donation sheet on the Purchasing Services Department "goodie" table. Please come and sign up if you would like to sponsor my husband in this charity event. All checks should be made out to ABATE-MDA. Any donations would be greatly appreciated! Every dollar counts. Checks and cash need to be given to <person> when you sign up for a donation.
Maybe I'm just becoming an old fuddy duddy but "riders will not stop to sleep and rest stops will be minimal" seems contrary to the very purpose of ABATE :confused:

As a moderately related aside, anyone an ABATE member? How long and why are you one? TIA

#2 ·
kanwisch you ARE an old fuddy duddy, but then I agree witth you on your post though what the heck I am the old fuddy duddy on this board. Still that is asking for trouble no matter how you look at it. Are they going to show the newbies that they still have the stuff to stand up to such grueling rides????

#4 ·
Riding long distance with minimal rest is completely idiotic. As if there weren't enough hazards on the roads to kill motorcyclists - some bone head dreams up riding as far as he can with little to no rest??!!!

That's just retarded. If it were just one person that would be one thing - but to organize a long ride with others based around little to no rest is just about criminal.

Whats up with all the :squid: logic out there?!!

#6 ·
Well, ABATE does good things like rider training courses (aka the MSF we often tout) and track legislation of interest to all motorcyclists. Those things are really honorable regardless of whether they have a lean to cruisers or sportbikes :2cents:

But I'm still curious what one gets for annual dues. Perhaps its like being in a club like Redline.

#7 ·
Isn't ABATE the group that constantly tries to repeal helmet laws?

#8 ·
Hi All-

A thousand miles over the course of twenty-four hours averages about forty-two miles per hour. If they can ride most of the trip at seventy miles per hour and include a handful of bathroom, catnap, and coffee stops they should be able to do it successfully. I've never tried riding that kind of distance, so it seems like a huge challenge to me.

~ Blue Jays ~

#10 ·
It doesnt seem too dangerous to me, at least......... I could get it done in about 10/11 hours, waaaay before sleep dep kicks in.

Look. Hit the freeway, cruise at 100, stop, get food, rest ass and eyes, coffee up, cruise 100 mph etc etc.

If you maintain average speed of 100, which isnt all that hard on a freeway, you have an extra 14 hours to relax. So if they maintain like 80 or so, its not ALL that dangerous.

Still kinda stupid though, even if you make it, your butt's gonna pay the price.

#12 ·
Blue Jays said:
Hi kypdurron62-

There are very few places in Ohio, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Kentucky & Indiana (where this ride will occur) that could have scores of riders zipping along at 100 m.p.h. for several hours on end.

~ Blue Jays ~
Agreed. IN has some of the lowest speed limits in/around cities that I have ever seen. 465 around Indianapolis is 55, so if you're crusing through at 100MPH, you're going to attract unwanted attention.

Kan, you're not a fuddy-duddy, I agree that it doesn't make sense for an organization that promotes safety classes for riders (I haven't read up on them yet, so I am taking you at your word) to support something like this. :dunno: It would be interesting to see the stats after the ride happens.

#13 ·
Have a question kypdurron62, being your roads are with max speed limit of 100mph including all bends & such? All the cops have to do is get wind of some riders to be churning at these paces & you will end up with speeding tickets & then be bitching away.

That is 160kph in Cdn & 95% of the hwys are 100kph===60mph to some even as slow as 55 or 60mph. I think there are a few set at 110kph, but none in my area.

Easy to say what you think you can do, but different to actually doing it. So in reality said people that planned this thing needs to have their heads examined for one thing only being stupidity.

#14 ·
Fine, I was gonna let this go.

Ok. So you guys envision someone driving at 100 mph for hours.

Thats part one of your rebuttal.

However, I said average.

Lets say im your abusive boyfriend ladies. Now I beat you an average of 100 times an hour, but I cant do it when anyone is looking. So we spend 50 minutes of the first hour of the day at breakfast at denny's, so in the car, I smack you in the face 100 times in a row........ and then when we get home, in our leisure, i can just pop a few shots off ever few minutes, and still hit my 100/hour limit.

Now i dont condone hitting women, but men who post in forums whining like women, thats different.

For my next trick, I ll show what happens when 2 cops get passed by like 200 m/cs.

Oh wait, thats right, its self evident, 2 m/cs can pull over maybe...... 4 bikes, if you assume that some people will stop because they are friends. I doubt this whole ride is going to be made of fast friends, and Im also pretty FUCKING SURE that people will be accepting possible tickets as a risk when they go on a 24 HOUR / 1000 MILE ride.

For the record, when you guys stop and think about this last sentence here, You'll realize why I posted again. Because you guys are being asinine, and im being my usual self, witty and intelligent. Ok heres the sentence.

HOW DO YOU THINK THEY ARE GOING TO DO IT THEN YOU NUMBSKULLS, DO YOU REALLY THINK PEOPLE ARE GOING TO DRIVE 60/70 MPH FOR 24 HOURS, OR DO YOU THINK JUST MAYBE POSSIBLY COULD THEY GO JUST A WEE FREAKING BIT FASTER SO THEY DONT HAVE TO DRIVE FOR AN ENTIRE GODDAMN DAY AND NITE, BARRING PISS STOPS AND COFFEE?

#15 ·
Oh and by the way..... ABATE has nothing to do with MSF.

Nothing.

As a matter of fact, In arizona, MSF had the local courts step in and stop ABATE from using MSF training materials because the ABATE training programs they occasionally provide do not follow the safety requirements for MSF.

So........................................... I just wanted to wait to post that until enough people could post in a tizzy about my little speeding post.

#16 ·
kypdurron62 said:
Fine, I was gonna let this go.

Ok. So you guys envision someone driving at 100 mph for hours.

Thats part one of your rebuttal.

However, I said average.

Lets say im your abusive boyfriend ladies. Now I beat you an average of 100 times an hour, but I cant do it when anyone is looking. So we spend 50 minutes of the first hour of the day at breakfast at denny's, so in the car, I smack you in the face 100 times in a row........ and then when we get home, in our leisure, i can just pop a few shots off ever few minutes, and still hit my 100/hour limit.

Now i dont condone hitting women, but men who post in forums whining like women, thats different.

For my next trick, I ll show what happens when 2 cops get passed by like 200 m/cs.

Oh wait, thats right, its self evident, 2 m/cs can pull over maybe...... 4 bikes, if you assume that some people will stop because they are friends. I doubt this whole ride is going to be made of fast friends, and Im also pretty FUCKING SURE that people will be accepting possible tickets as a risk when they go on a 24 HOUR / 1000 MILE ride.

For the record, when you guys stop and think about this last sentence here, You'll realize why I posted again. Because you guys are being asinine, and im being my usual self, witty and intelligent. Ok heres the sentence.

HOW DO YOU THINK THEY ARE GOING TO DO IT THEN YOU NUMBSKULLS, DO YOU REALLY THINK PEOPLE ARE GOING TO DRIVE 60/70 MPH FOR 24 HOURS, OR DO YOU THINK JUST MAYBE POSSIBLY COULD THEY GO JUST A WEE FREAKING BIT FASTER SO THEY DONT HAVE TO DRIVE FOR AN ENTIRE GODDAMN DAY AND NITE, BARRING PISS STOPS AND COFFEE?
You're kinda funny. I'm not sure I'd use the terms witty and intelligent, but semi-funny fits.

Apparently not too firm a grasp on basic math though. No need in going into gory details though. If you already don't get it then further explanation won't help much.

Oh, and calling the rest of the forum asinine will get you nowhere, so let's cut the keyboard warrior shit out. :thumb:

#17 ·
#18 ·
Hey supermod, I love the site, and I love this forum. I wasnt calling the ENTIRE site asinine, just the two people who came down on me.

For the record though, if anyone really thinks the guys who are actually going to DO this, not just argue about it in the forum, are going to drive the speed limit and drive for 24 hours, feel free to post and say that, cuz everyone here knows they will be pushing the speed up on straightaways, to make up time so they can rest more.

All I was trying to say is if you go 130, then go under 100, then over, then under, you end up averaging......................100.

I didnt feel like breaking out math formulas.

Does anyone know the exact route anyway? Cuz if not, this is a hypothetical argument that cant even be solved.

#20 · (Edited)
And for shits and giggles, I just called ABATE of Wisconsin, and asked the guy who talked to me what he thought of MSF,

"A bunch of corporate bought pussies who push helmets as if you will die if you dont have it on 24/7"

To which I asked, "what do you ride", when he stopped ranting about them.

After replying harley, I said, oh, well your H/D bandanna will keep what little brains you have in your head when you slam into the pavement at a fart machine's maxxed out speed of 20mph.

ABATE = fat rejects with children who's eyes dont both look in the same direction, probably from when their rat tail haircut gets flipped forward and they go cross eyed staring at it.

Oh and for the record, the REAL ABATE is not to be confused with other ABATE's, some of which I found while searching online that actually do seem to care about safety.

I'm sorely tempted to kick over a harley today, after talking to that dude. I never thought I would want to kick over a bike, but H/d guys are really on my shit list.

#21 ·
Hi kypdurron62-

Try getting on a highway located in Ohio, Pennsylvania, West Virginia, Kentucky or Indiana and attempt to ride your motorcycle at an average speed of 100 m.p.h. for hour after hour after hour. One simply can't do it because they would eventually encounter traffic congestion, police coverage, poor road conditions, construction zones, or a combination of all four.

An average speed of 100 m.p.h. is extremely fast in virtually all parts of the United States, especially considering that very few areas permit that speed legally.

~ Blue Jays ~

#22 ·
Wooo man was I wrong about the connection between MSF and ABATE. I had done a search sometime ago on the Advanced rider course and ended up being redirected to ABATE, which is why I thought they were running the programs. But now that's not happening. Strange.

So, after all that hoopla, I'm thinking "whatever :rolleyes: "

#23 ·
kypdurron62 said:
Hey supermod, I love the site, and I love this forum. I wasnt calling the ENTIRE site asinine, just the two people who came down on me.

One of whom is another supermod, both of whom are female.

Guess that explains us whining like women, huh?

Sorry that we're "asinine" for thinking that an average of 100mph is unrealistic. :rolleyes:

And BTW - namecalling definitely doesn't make you seem witty and intelligent, it makes you look base and unable to come up with an intelligent argument. Oh, and it's not something that's allowed on SBW, so you might want to tone it down in the future.

#24 ·
kypdurron62 said:
Lets say im your abusive boyfriend ladies. Now I beat you an average of 100 times an hour, but I cant do it when anyone is looking.

I can ban users when no one is looking, wanna find out? :D

#25 ·
kypdurron62 said:

All I was trying to say is if you go 130, then go under 100, then over, then under, you end up averaging......................100.

I didnt feel like breaking out math formulas.
Obviously.

Ok, let's say that a rider can average 70 mph for 75% of the time (which is pretty generous considering gas and food stops, traffic, construction, etc.). In order to average 100 mph they would need to average 190 mph the other 25% of the time. No complicated math formulas, just simple weighted averages.

That being said, nevermind the fact that very few bikes can even reach 190, do you really think that if they could they would get away with it for 2.5 hours (1000 mile trip @ 100 mph = 10 hrs, times 25% = 2.5 hrs....just in case you wondered ;) )?

#26 ·
Sorry for the women comments, was just trying to make a comment in the nature of ABATE, as in, ******* harley riding losers.

I was calling people names AND making arguments however.

I can only go off what I know, and what I know, is I never have a problem personally maintaining 100 mph averages.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.