lowsided today - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy lowsided today

So it finally happened to me, I was with a group of riders going through the local twisties and took a different route (one I had gone on last weekend) to get to a bike shop that was holding its annual summer BBQ. I distinctly remember this one turn as it scared me last weekend, and felt prepared for it, but boy howdy was I wrong. It was a decreasing radius righthand hairpin turn, that was also slightly banked along with a change of elevation (the difference from the top and the bottom of the turn was about 1-2 stories in height.)

I was following a guy in a gsxr600 who was going into that turn at a decent speed, I had slowed down to initally attempt to take that turn slightly wide and follow a line to cut into the inside. Apparently the guy didn't realize how sharp the turn was and braked midturn to stay in his lane and at this point my face is like because although I wasn't putting on much throttle I was coming up behind him. I was still trying to look through the turn but I just kept looking at him and the bike instead. Due to his braking, I didn't wanna try to cut him off on the inside of the turn so I decided to run a bit wide (I was already a bit past the double yellow lines) and completely run into the opposite lane and brake a bit, my tires didn't wanna stick and off I go sliding into dirt and a guardrail.

Thank god for gear as all I have is this dull pain on the lower right side of my abdomen and as soon as I made it home I started to feel a slight pain on my right ankle as if I may have sprained it. In hindsight, I should have gone a bit slower through the turn and been much further behind the other rider. I also need to slow down a bit more in general, these last few weekends I have really been asking for it up in the mountains... and it all started with me breaking my cardinal rule of not dragging a knee, so instead I drag my entire right side on asphalt and dirt

Damage was minimized thanks to my frame sliders, my exhaust looks a bit dented, but the major problem is my subframe. I think the mound of dirt and guardrail bent/pushed it up since the the tail portion of my rear fairings don't line up to it anymore. I had to borrow someone's cargo net to secure the fairings as I still made my way to the BBQ to feed myself full of free food. I'm just gonna rest up a bit and go back outside to take my bike apart and be able to further check for damages.

And this was after I commented on the other thread about not crossing to oncoming traffic... one point for the canyons today, because I got owned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 03:52 PM

Sorry to hear it man, but it sounds like you came out of it easy enough (atleast on your body). I don't like following people into turns for that exact reason, you never know what the guy ahead is gunna do. I hope the fairing mounts are just bent and not the subframe. Go at it with a ruler and a level when you get around to it. Take a nice hot bath or your muscles might lock up, and put some ice on that ankle. I can mail you some vicaden that I have left over from my accedent if you need You won't have to worry about feeling your sore ankle... or feeling anything for that matter Get some rest.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 05:16 PM

Now you can see why some of us do not ride with others, though some do ONLY they know the other riders that might just be two or three & exactly how they ride & think.

Also good riders leave each other lots of room, just in case something comes up for some unknowen reason. Your riding a bit to close to someone you did not know was your downfall when you look back on it. It was all on him going into the turn to fast, applying brakes & you trying not to cut him off or create any trouble to his riding or him--------when it should have been YOU that you thought about AND if you have been riding a bit to fast lately then time to slow down & not get yourself into any riding problems of where you nearly scared the heck out of yourself. For you do something like that on Track Days.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by Smitty
For you do something like that on Track Days.
Yeah, I really should get myself to a track

Oh, and thanks for the offer for vicadin Sepias, but I refuse to take anything unless I'm in real need. My take on it is that people take medication as a convenience and not as a necessity. Far too many will pop a pill at the slightest complain, then get up and go when it should be a sign to rest up and let your body heal itself.

but if I do start feeling worse I'll go ahead and leave you my address and you ship it to me ASAP! Jeez, you'd think working in the medical field would mean I'd have easier access to some for myself, but nooooo
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-15-2006, 07:21 PM

Yeah, I stay a ways behind other riders myself, and I prefer to be in the back of a pack if I dont know anyone in the group. Im much more comfortable riding ith ppl I know well.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 04:48 AM

Send a message via AIM to saturntangerine Send a message via Yahoo to saturntangerine
Sorry to hear you went down, but it sounds as though you've done a pretty darn good job of looking at the hindsight and picking out your original mistake(s) that led up to it.

Heal up, get back on, and remember those things for next time you're out riding.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by saturntangerine
Sorry to hear you went down, but it sounds as though you've done a pretty darn good job of looking at the hindsight and picking out your original mistake(s) that led up to it.

Heal up, get back on, and remember those things for next time you're out riding.
Agreed. Sounds lke an honest mistake really. Im glad your ok.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 11:54 AM

Re: lowsided today

Quote:
Originally posted by Lost Nomad
So it finally happened to me, I was with a group of riders going through the local twisties and took a different route (one I had gone on last weekend) to get to a bike shop that was holding its annual summer BBQ. I distinctly remember this one turn as it scared me last weekend, and felt prepared for it, but boy howdy was I wrong. It was a decreasing radius righthand hairpin turn, that was also slightly banked along with a change of elevation (the difference from the top and the bottom of the turn was about 1-2 stories in height.)

Yeah those type of turns tend to wake me up also Important thing is you're ok
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 12:13 PM

Hey, man... sorry to hear about your downer. Good job on assessing what happened. Learn from it, and keep it a bit more mellow up there. You were doing really good on that 200 mile ride last sunday, and I guess you inched over your limits today. How are you feeling? Did you take apart the bike yet? Get rested, and I look forward to riding with you on ACH yet another time.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-16-2006, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by lateott_156
Hey, man... sorry to hear about your downer. Good job on assessing what happened. Learn from it, and keep it a bit more mellow up there. You were doing really good on that 200 mile ride last sunday, and I guess you inched over your limits today. How are you feeling? Did you take apart the bike yet? Get rested, and I look forward to riding with you on ACH yet another time.
I've been sleeping all day due to general laziness so I haven't taken my bike apart yet. this turn was the same one we took last weekend, it's probably the one that you said scared the crap out of you, I guess I just felt confident since I just did it the weekend prior. Oh, and 200? it was more like 300 miles.

thanks for the well wishes everyone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode