Splitting Lanes - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

Splitting Lanes

Hi all,

I live in Delaware and have searched the entire Delaware DMV website and cannot find anything about splitting lanes in this state. Traffic usually isnt bad here however our beaches get extremely crowded in the summertime and traffic + heat can become unbearable in full gear. (stand still trafic and a heat index of 100 with a leather riding jacket on can really cause problems after the first couple minutes)

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find and official answer as to whether or not splitting lanes in DE is legal? If no one here knows, maybe someone could point me in the right direction to find out?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 11:19 AM

I am pretty sure california is the only state where lane splitting is legal.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 11:25 AM

Send a message via AIM to 97yzfinwyo Send a message via Yahoo to 97yzfinwyo
lane splitting

its only illegal if you get caught. I think Cal. is the only state that does allow it though.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Taken from the 'net
Here's the text (verbatim) from the CHP's site: "Lane splitting by motorcycles is permissible under California law but must done in a safe and prudent manner." The text used to also include "The motorcycle should be traveling no more than 10 mph faster than surrounding traffic (without exceeding the speed limit) and not come close enough to that traffic to cause a collision." but has since been removed. Perhaps they wanted to give cops more latitude to interpret what they thought was safe so they removed it.
If you lane split, avoid weaving between the two lanes and don't exceed traffic speed by more than 10 mph. The former could get you a ticket for changing lanes without signaling while the latter could get you a ticket for reckless driving.
Your odds of getting ticketed also increase if you lane split between the carpool and fast lane. A double yellow line divides the two lanes and those are illegal to cross (with rare exceptions that would never occur on the freeway); I know of riders who have been specifically ticketed for crossing the double yellow while lane splitting between those lanes.
Lane splitting on surface streets is probably not addressed in city or county laws so I would do this with caution, as individual cops will decide whether or not they like what they see. I split lanes on surface streets if I don't see any cops, but I stop immediately if I spot one.
There's a little bit of information on "lane sharing" in the DMV Motorcycle handbook. They say to discourage its practice, but never say it's illegal.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

thanks for the help guys - i'll just use my own discretion in heavy traffic when cops arent around.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 01:03 PM

Thing is how do you know cops are not around? I was sure of it about a month ago only an RCMP Ghost Car in dark grey finally nails me on the bit of four lane & was peeved off over the fact I was clocking around 140kph ---- 85mph on a narrow twisty up & down part, which was really slow for me, like just one of those days to take it easier, & ended up with a speeding ticket of $196.00 & up goes my m/c & cage insurance next time.

Best to realize Calif is the only State that can split lanes & if you are in Cdn the fine, if cought, in splitting lanes is darn big & close to double solid line when passing.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-13-2006, 07:47 PM

I shun away from lane splitting now, not because I know I can do it or feel as though I should be able to do it given we have the size advantage to bypass stopped traffic, but because cop's really hate it. Expecially now that every cop car are going undercover.

I'm a bit on edge whenever I see a cop car because last year, a cop car swerved me off the highway because when I clutched in and started to break, he thought I was gonna down shift and run. Cop came out of nowhere and scared the shit out of me. I thought I was gonna wreck. I turned off the bike and was shaking pretty bad. It was nice the cop gave me a verbal warning. I think I waited about 15 mins to calm down before I got back on the road.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2006, 10:35 AM

Re: Splitting Lanes

Quote:
Originally posted by drumtap600RR
Hi all,

I live in Delaware and have searched the entire Delaware DMV website and cannot find anything about splitting lanes in this state. Traffic usually isnt bad here however our beaches get extremely crowded in the summertime and traffic + heat can become unbearable in full gear. (stand still trafic and a heat index of 100 with a leather riding jacket on can really cause problems after the first couple minutes)

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find and official answer as to whether or not splitting lanes in DE is legal? If no one here knows, maybe someone could point me in the right direction to find out?

Thanks
Your right the heat most be unbearable in delaware and those beaches must get so crowded. Thank god I live here in florida where it is cool, there is no humidity, and nobody comes to our beaches.

Sorry man, but I will bet it gets way hotter and more uncomforable in full gear here than there. Just obey the laws and deal with it or sell the bike!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2006, 10:42 AM
Strength and Honor

Splitting lanes where its done is not specifically legal its just not illegal (so I've read). So a search for that kind of thing is nearly impossible. You're much better off just calling your local police or stopping by the next one you see and striking up a conversation. They are generally friendly folks, believe it or not.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-14-2006, 11:42 AM Thread Starter

kanwisch -
I know a lot of the police force in my city as well as most of the state troopers stationed in this area. I am going to school to become a cop actually and I work at the local probation office. I'm well aquainted with the law around these parts. hehe

MikeMirage -
I didn't say Delaware was the most crowded place on earth with the worlds most popular beaches - I simply said the heat is annoying and I asked a question that could possibly shorten the time i spend it in. Theres no way I'm selling my bike because of a little sun buddy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode