got a ticket :(, should i fight it? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

got a ticket :(, should i fight it?

My roommate just got pulled over by a motorcycle cop on the freeway for "unsafe passing." apparently he was "not occupying my designated area" and speeding at 80mph. if any of you are near irvine, it was on the 55s to the 405s. anyway basically he was riding on the carpool lane and he decided to pass a car so he sped up and crossed into the double yellow, and passed. im not sure if thats legal. any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 03:30 AM
Strength and Honor

When you're guilty, you're guilty. Accept responsibility for your own actions.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 04:27 AM

Find out if it really was illegal. I could have had a speeding ticket dropped by going to court and stating that laser was inadmissible. I had no idea. It might not be worth the trouble to fight it, depending on the fine. A lawyer would probably be able to get the whole thing dropped or reduced to something else, but in most traffic cases the cost isn't worth it.

-
"We didn't trade shoves; I did all the shoving." -Bobby Knight, 1981

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 04:45 AM

Call the court and see what you can do to keep it off your record. Maybe they will let you watch a movie, or something like that. The fines arent bad, its the insurance thats a bitch

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 06:33 AM
Resident Smart Ass!

Send a message via AIM to Jester Send a message via Yahoo to Jester
Crossing the double yellow in any lane is illegal, not to mention speeding. He MIGHT.... MIGHT be able to get away with saying the car was tailgating, but doubt it will fly. If the carpool lane had a break in it where he was allowed to get out then he might have been ok.

Help control the squid population, have your squid spayed or neutered

"it's not the smart ass behavior that gets to me... it's the dumb ass behavior that is a problem..." -Quote from my Aunt.

Only motorcycle riders understand why dogs stick their head out of car windows.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 12:46 PM

yea im pretty sure speeding, and crossing any double yellow line at any time are both illegal
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 01:02 PM

In Canada that would have lead to a Criminal Offence called "Dangerous Driving", bike is confinscated, one is throwen in the clanger for mug shots & finger printing. Then have to wait for a lawyer, at his charge, to get you out of jail.

So pay the minor bill & be happy that is all it cost. I got dinged for speeding & simply said "Yes Sir" time & time again to cost me $196.00 & consider myself as lucky.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 01:04 PM

what if you were color blind? It would look like double white lines..
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JBaz
what if you were color blind? It would look like double white lines..
but one could call bs, because there is no such thing as a 2 solid white lines.... am i correct?
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 01:30 PM

I can see the speeding ticket doing 80mph. I run the carpool all the time and run between the double lines to pass. But if traffic is doing the speed limit you cannt do that to pass. Splitting lanes is only legal when traffic is slowed below normal speeds. If the traffic was doing like 20 mph and You were doing 30 mph I would say the cop would never had bothered you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode