Getting New Bike! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Getting New Bike!

Hey everybody,
Ive posted a couple times before and thank all of you for your excellent support and advice. Ive decided to go with an 06 gsxr-600 (Red/Black). I just turned 18 and im 5'9" 200 lbs. Ive got my finances and everything setup to buy it in october. The reason i went with this bike instead of comparable bikes is because:

a) Lighter than all 600's
b) Cheaper than all 600's
c) Seat height is lower than all 600's and is the only one i can flatfoot. (fits me best)

This is my first bike w/ my only experience being on dirtbikes. a 250 is the biggest ive ridden. Im really excited to buy this bike, cant wait to join all you guys out there on the road. Ive signed up for msf and have already bought a red/black suzuki leather jacket, red/black gloves and a black arai helmet ($599!!!)

I dont really have any ?'s for you guys but if you have any input on my choice or if you think ive overlooked anything, please let me know! I just lost a 19 year friend from a horrific crash on a crotchrocket. There was nothing left of him, literally. It seems like every week i read of a squid w/ no helmet dying. RIDE SAFE OUT THERE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 02:07 PM

my input would have been not to buy a brand new bike but do what you want to do. your 18 how much is insurance rofl.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by SkinnyJ
my input would have been not to buy a brand new bike but do what you want to do. your 18 how much is insurance rofl.
An arm and a leg. ($200/month)

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 02:54 PM

another reason to maybe think about getting a used one why spend 2400 dollars on fucking insurance a year. get a bike and try to pay it off quickly or get somthing older
i have an 01 and pay 200 a year......
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 03:18 PM

New Gixxer

Quote:
Originally posted by golfskiplay
An arm and a leg. ($200/month)
OUCH!

Well, if you've got the money to pull it off, all the more power to ya. Glad to see you got yourself some good gear too.

Best of luck and be careful out there!
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 03:22 PM

.... and so you went ahead and bought a "crotchrocket" anyway as your first bike, and a 2006 one that. Real smart. Btw, I think the sales guy pulled a fast one on you, gsxr600 isn't the lighhtest 600, in fact, according to the review I have, it was the heaviest.

Not to be rude, but you should have known better. Gears don't save a rider from poor decision, it's only the last line of defense.

Didn't you just recently crash on a scooter?
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 03:26 PM

have fun on that thing bro
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 03:36 PM

I have to agree with Z and Skinney. Buying a new bike as a starter isn't smart, let alone a new GSXR as a first bike... But to each his own. I just hope your around to ride again next season as well...
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 04:46 PM

Congrats on your bike purchase and future enjoyment. I am glad to see you started out with a 600 versus a 1000 and that you have bought gear as well as signed up for classes. Every one will say you should have bought smaller, older, etc, do not take it to heart, but you know your experiance, finances and mental state better than us. Sounds as if you put some thought into this.
Bike power now a days is no joke, but the life saving elements have also improved, brakes, suspension, etc. Be careful no matter what/where you ride.
A bike only goes as fast as the person twisting the throttle, however environmental awareness is crucial and the class will help develop that more.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 07:28 PM

go easy on the kid guys. He signed up for the classes, which is more than I can say.

I was 24, but my first bike is a gixer 600, brand new off the showroom floor.

Im fine, I dont ride like an idiot, and I dont push myself more than I can handle.

If he already got good gear, and signed up for the classes, hes doin alright, especially for an 18 year old. Leave em alone. Hes got safety in mind its obvious, and is taking this very seriously. (not askin how to pull wheelies n whatnot.)

Save that raggin for the dumbasses that buy a liter for a first bike and just go out and try to stunt it and shit.

Congrats on your bike, well, when ya get it. Be careful. These thing got lots more power than the dirtbikes. These employ whats called "half throttle"

What does this mean to you? Turn it a LITTLE and you get ALOT.

good luck bro.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode