CA Emission tests with non-CA Bikes - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 12:15 PM Thread Starter

CA Emission tests with non-CA Bikes

With about 1 month left before I move to CA, I am still trying to get everything organized, so bare with me, haha.

What is the difference between CA emissions-equipped bikes and non? More importantly, is there any way at all to get a non-CA bike to pass? I can't afford to buy another bike, but there is no way in hell Im going to give up riding... so I have to find a solution here.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 12:22 PM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
IIRC any non-Cali purchased bike needed 7500 miles before it could be registered there (to avoid people going to Nevada to avoid the emissions stuff). As much as it sounds like you ride that should be no problem. As far as passing the test that shouldn't be hard either. I bought my F4 in Indiana and had it tested out there and passed with no problems. It was stock though, so any mods may make a difference.

Overall it was fairly easy, but dealing with the BMV out there is a pain in the ass (long waits, no forms in English, etc.).

Good luck!

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by spicersh
IIRC any non-Cali purchased bike needed 7500 miles before it could be registered there (to avoid people going to Nevada to avoid the emissions stuff). As much as it sounds like you ride that should be no problem. As far as passing the test that shouldn't be hard either. I bought my F4 in Indiana and had it tested out there and passed with no problems. It was stock though, so any mods may make a difference.

Overall it was fairly easy, but dealing with the BMV out there is a pain in the ass (long waits, no forms in English, etc.).

Good luck!
+1

btw, where in cali are you planning to move to? actually, that shouldn't really matter, seems like there are plenty of good roads everywhere. good luck w/ all the aspects of moving

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 05:26 PM
Some days are like this.

As long as you have your driver's license and info from your previous state of residence showing the bike registered there, there's no trouble registering your bike, regardless of mileage, in CA.

Also, last time I checked, there was no emission requirements in CA on bikes. You might want to try looking up the CA DMV for more info.

"I often wonder why I talk to you, then I realize, although you put me down, you do it with love." - Jester
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by spicerke
As long as you have your driver's license and info from your previous state of residence showing the bike registered there, there's no trouble registering your bike, regardless of mileage, in CA.

Also, last time I checked, there was no emission requirements in CA on bikes. You might want to try looking up the CA DMV for more info.
It may be heresay on my part but I've heard about that 7,500 minimum miles thing before. and yes, nobody's bothered us with smog tests for bikes, which is another hassle to go through with cars.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 07:36 PM

Do a search here http://www.dmv.ca.gov/ or just call them.

Where are coming too out here? SoCal?
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 04:34 AM

Motorcycles are exempt from smog testing in california -

So is a car that you brought from another state
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 06:10 AM
Some days are like this.

Quote:
Originally posted by Lost Nomad
It may be heresay on my part but I've heard about that 7,500 minimum miles thing before. and yes, nobody's bothered us with smog tests for bikes, which is another hassle to go through with cars.
The 7500 mile thing applies if you are a CA resident and are attempting to register a new purchase motorcycle in CA. I doubt if you are a legitimate move to the state, are they going to tell you to leave your bike in your previous state, or ride it illegally just to have the 7500 miles required.

It was put in place mainly to dissuade folks from going to NV and purchasing bikes that didn't meet the CA emission standards.

"I often wonder why I talk to you, then I realize, although you put me down, you do it with love." - Jester
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 01:37 PM

Good to know as I'll be moving there next year.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2006, 05:17 PM Thread Starter

wow, thanks for all the replies!

Spicer - Bike was purchased in sept 2003, and currently has 28,000 miles on it.

I am moving to Bakersfield. I hear there really isnt anything there... But there is one particular reason I am moving.. so its all good. Ill work the rest out when I get there.

As far as mods... only a pipe and PCM at the moment, both of which shouldnt be a prob. I can bypass the PCM and throw the stock pipe back on.

Just as a side note... if bikes are exempt from smog testing... then why do we have 49 state legal bikes and cali-legal bikes? Why not just simply 50 state legal models?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode