Oh god. idk what to think. 250 or not? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Oh god. idk what to think. 250 or not?

Well its came upon me again. My first road-legal road bike. At my local dealership.

a 2002 Ninja 250 Lime Green in PRISTINE condition with 3,??? on the speedo. They want 2700 for it, but obviously they are out of their minds, the blue book is 2140 in perfect condition. So they are going to have to come down to that for a 2002.

But disreguarding money, I have a tough decision.

To buy a bike that I will probably be sick of in 2 weeks or not to?

I have been deeply involved with motocross bikes, and had several two stroke KX's. So Im not sure what to think.

Im concerned that I will get completely sick of the bike and want to shoot myself in the foot. But I love the idea of 60mpg+, and the idea of having a motorcycle.

Im 145lbs, 17yrs old, 5'11, Starting my last year of Highschool. I am a sponsored BMX rider by my local bicycle shop, drive a 95 Mustang, and I have a thurst for power as do 99% of the guys out there do.

Please convince me into or out of it. I need some good points to go back and forth with.

Thanks a lot guys

Last edited by oreo321321; 07-09-2006 at 08:40 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-09-2006, 08:16 PM

umm... They are 3,000 new from the dealership. Good first bikes. I'd look into a gs500 or a ninja 500. Also SV650's are nice 1st bikes too.

http://kawasaki.com/product_detail.a...tag=motorcycle
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 06:12 AM

I don't think you will be bored with it that fast. And also, you would probably not lose that much money if you owned it for a few months then sold it again.

It would at least be something to get some experience down on.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 07:17 AM

No, get the 250. You're not going to be "sick" of it. ANY bike you buy, you're going to get used to the power, and it's only natural to want more. However, you're a young guy with an admitted thirst for power. You want to keep your head on straight while riding. Get the 250, they're a lot of fun and corner great. You don't need a bike that's going to propel you from 0-60 in 3 seconds. When you're ready to step up to a bigger bike, you'll have no problem selling the 250.

Check out the 250 forums. Ninja250.net or something, not sure. But there's a lot of experienced riders on there, who use the 250 as their everyday bike, and a lot of people will keep them as a 2nd bike after getting something bigger. I had one as my first, and still miss how light and fun it was to ride around. My point is, it's a great bike for a beginner, but also fun for the experienced.

Also, take the MSF course first.

Last edited by slaps76; 07-10-2006 at 07:19 AM.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 08:18 AM

Hmm.....

Well, i guess I cant really give too much on this since I never rode a 250 street bike...

I was in the same boat as you man. But im 25 now and just last year got my first bike..

I rode BMX when I was your age, from about 14 till I was 17 or so. I rode lots of dirtbikes, owned a snowmobile, (arctic cat zr600 i think was the model, it was a few years ago. sold it cause i didnt like the cold.) Had a few quads over the years and moved to streetbikes last year.

Had a 97 Trans AM too.

I wanted something not too crazy, since I had 0 experience on a sp bike.

I went with a gixxer 600 2005. LOVE it.

I figured a 600 was modest, and that wasnt correct. Even tho its the smallest bike suzuki makes in a race replica, its nuts. The acceleration on that bike is rediculous. I dont think Ill ever get sick of it and wish I had a bigger one.

Basically, I learned something after I rode it a few times. Actually, the first time I cracked that throttle open in first gear. When the front came up like a wild bull for like, oh..... 1.5 seconds and i let off the throttle, when I came back down, the speedo said like 78. was goin about 25 when I hit it in the first place.

What did I learn? These bikes run on souls.. They are possessed by the devil. This little ol' 600 has more power than anybody I know has ever experienced elsewhere. Once you realize that, you immediatly know you have to respect that demon your sitting on, or its going to kill you. Plain and simple.

Use common sense man. They are different from anything you've done thus far. WAY different. A 500 isnt a slug either. so you may get sick of it and you may not. But going thru the bike first and learning is better than getting a beast the first time around and gettin hurt.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-10-2006, 08:26 AM

Having ridden a Ninja 250 alongside my CBR, I can tell you that the 250 is a heckuva lot of fun. You do have to have thick skin, though, since every squid out there on a 600 is going to disrespect your choice.

Every rider I know that started on a 250 is alive today. I can't say the same for those that started on 600s. Every rider I know that started on a 250 climbs the learning curve of riding motorcycles much quicker than those on 600s -- they are generally faster, much sooner on the track or in our favorite twisties. The only time they are not as fast is in a straight line, but they know the right lines... "I can't twist the throttle in the straights to make up for my poor technique in the turns".

I say go for the 250! If you still can't get over it, then get a used EX500.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 07:38 PM Thread Starter

Thanks a lot for the advice, I think I am going to get it

That is, if I dont get this:

a 1993 Yamaha FZR600 with 13k miles, aftermarket exhaust and well kept up. $1800

Sound good?
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 08:43 PM

yup, sounds good.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by oreo321321
Thanks a lot for the advice, I think I am going to get it

That is, if I dont get this:

a 1993 Yamaha FZR600 with 13k miles, aftermarket exhaust and well kept up. $1800

Sound good?
If you get that bike, make sure it runs smooth and/or doesn't have a jet kit, jet kits didn't run so well on that bike if it wasn't precisely done. Good luck. The bike should come with a choke and check for speedo cable (the big round cable that runs from the instrument cluster to the left side fork near the brake caliper).
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-11-2006, 09:15 PM

I say most jet kits aren't reliable on sport bikes. I have a few friends who jetted their bikes and they have to get it retunned every 2k or so. And its a pain in the ass.

One of my friends kept having the engine flooded and cutting off when he hits 8k. He spent about 1000 bucks in labor tryin to get it fixed and when it was fixed, he got 25mpg. So not worth it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode