New boots..... and not feeling good with em. - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2006, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

New boots..... and not feeling good with em.

So I finally fully de squiddied myself, picked up a pair of boots. Icon Super Duty 2, I looked at a bunch in my mechanics shop, he gave me a deal on them, and they fit well and seem pretty sturdy.

So........ its an early conclusion but im starting to feel like boots fucking suck. Either I'm going to have to adjust my pegs and what not, or im going to have to go back to the shoes. The only thing I know is right now I really do NOT feel comfortable riding with these boots. I dont know how people ride with them now honestly, I barely have any input at all on how hard I'm on my rear brake. The shifting is fine, but my right foot position sucks now, and the damn boots feel like this monstrous freaking club on my foot that I can barely do anything with. I do NOT lock up the rear very often, and I did it no less than 5 times today, a few of them in not very pleasant situations. So I'm just a tad bit concerned that I'm stuck with an 80 dollar boot that I'm not going to be using.

Did I buy a boot that just sucks, or are boots just something you have to get used to when riding? Or is it a matter of adjusting my pegs?

Oh, and yes for the record, I know contemplating going back to the shoes is a squiddy tendency, but honestly right now I'm not sure which is worse, wearing the shoes, or flubbing around for my rear brake at 100 mph to get ready for a turn.

Last edited by kypdurron62; 07-07-2006 at 08:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2006, 08:20 PM

I ride with the same boots, they take awhile to break them in and get use to the size, but its much better than riding in tennis shoes. Wear them out to the store or just around the house for a day or two and you should be adjusted to the size and weight. I'll admit they aren't the best shoes in the world, but they are good entry riding boots. If you don't want to drop a good bit more into a pair of better boots, then they will do just fine. Don't rest your foot on the rear brake or you will lock it up every time. Keep your heel on the peg and lower your toe onto it. The shoe by itself weights almost enough to lock the brake fully.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2006, 08:23 PM

Took me some time to get used to as well. They are a bit heavy, but I do not ride without them except for trips to work in the steel toes. If not these then the Alpinestars, now those take some adjusting too, shifting position is different for me.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2006, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Good to know that its mostly a matter of getting used to them. I guess just one more question, Im not able to use my rear brake without moving my foot, my ankle just doesnt flex that much. I have the heel resting and the toe under, and then have to readjust to get on the rear brake. I should probably lower the brake pedal I guess, or is that pretty standard. Can everyone else here just move their toe out and place it over the brake without moving the foot? Cuz I cant do that with this boot.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2006, 09:05 PM

When I first put those boots on, man i was pissed. I got mine about a week ago.

I just wore them around the house to get em softer. They are still rough, but better. I always rest my foot on the brake side, like the ball of my foot on the peg. When its brake time, i just move my foot up and press down with my toe. I always did that even with shoes. The shifter for me is WAY different. Ill go to downshift and not make enough clearence cause of the thick ass sole. So I gotta do it again and lift my foot even higher. Its annoying no doubt about it. But I figure, as long as im not making things worse on the ride, its better this way.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2006, 09:09 PM

I had to move my foot at first until I broke the spine on the back of the boot. The leather at the ankle is weak and will become supple over time. I move my foot a little to get it onto the brake, but not to much. It's just better to try and keep it on there until you get use to the weight. If they really bug you and you think you can get your money back, check these out. They cost about twice as much, but they are nice. I am getting a pair for a birthday gift, but I had to try them on to make sure they fit. I just know they are comfy, short term atleast. Don't get me wrong, I like the Icons too, I just want a more boot boot, if that makes since
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2006, 09:25 PM

I take if you are not accustom to wearing BOOTS period. If you are at home with sneakers then you are closer to being at home in slippers. Boots need to be broken-in this is a given factor & many a person has obtained any type of boot & found they ended up with bleeding blisters in trying to use them fully right off the bat & not breaking them in. Like a mountaineer with a pair of full shanked boots for some weeks of climging in the near future will SLOWLY break them in or go at it in the wrong way in wearing them at the climb only to be crippled in a day. Yes I have seen new climbers needing to be taken to the first-aid tent as they wore the boots, the first time, in the 12 or 28 miles walk to the base camp.

I use to sell boots to police, wardens, mountaineers & such. So believe me I know what I am saying for I to was a climber.

If you are locking up the rear wheel then you can lower the brake pedal so the foot will not come on it like a lead boot. ALL hand & foot controls on m/cs are adjustable to the riders.

Last edited by Smitty; 07-08-2006 at 12:58 PM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-07-2006, 09:48 PM Thread Starter

Actually smitty I work construction and rock climb, so I'm pretty much in boots 24/7, except on the bike till today.

The response I've been getting so far makes me think maybe just a bit of adjustment and some breaking in will make things work out... so I'm not too concerned at this point.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2006, 04:30 AM

u defentally need to adjust the break and shift lever.. it is a must.. i pefer wearing my sidi boots over anything else.. but i had to do tons of adjustments..

adjust, then get comfortable.. its gonna take awhile...
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-08-2006, 06:52 AM

Hi kypdurron62-

Give the boots sufficient break-in time and you'll easily get accustomed to them. A little bit of mink oil might help the process along and simultaneously nourish the leather. I can't imagine putting my feet on the pegs in anything but dedicated motorcycle boots!

~ Blue Jays ~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode