Pipe Comparison - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 05:19 AM Thread Starter

Pipe Comparison

So I have narrowed my selection down for a slip on and need some suggestion making my decision. I have a 2005 yamaha R6. I am looking at either the Yamaha factory carbon fiber race pipe from GYTR or a carbon fiber Scorpion slip on. What is your opinion? At the same time I am doing a K&N air filter and possibly a power commander. Suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 05:23 AM

a slip on is a slip on. One is as good as another since all they really do is make noise (we are talking a 2hp improvment, who will notice?). Pick the one that looks/sounds best

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 05:38 AM Thread Starter

True. I know that there won't be much improvement, but I may go full on somewhere down the road, so I am curious if there is much difference between the scorpion and the GYTR. I haven't heard much about Scorpion, but I know that the Yamaha is decent.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 06:51 AM
Honda Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Vash
a slip on is a slip on. One is as good as another since all they really do is make noise (we are talking a 2hp improvment, who will notice?). Pick the one that looks/sounds best
Oh god here we go again... the problem with these message boards is that you ignorant people spread your ignorance to others perpetuating lies & myths to those that actually need the real answers.

A slip-on is not just a slip-on... There are companies out there like Sato & Arata that offer slip-ons that outperform many other companies full systems! it's all about doing proper R&D & getting the most out of the system instead of just grabbbing a generic cannister off the shelf & bending some tubing to make it fit the bike like so many crappy companies like Two Mothers, Micron & Scorpion do.

1. Read my exhaust article. it is oriented towards the RC51, but the basic info rings true. http://www.rc51.org/exhaust.htm

2. Look at this dyno chart & tell me again how slip-ons are only for noise

3. Keep your mouth shut if you don't know what you are talking about
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 07:12 AM

feeling a touch grumpy this morning are we?

Well this ignorant person noted a 2hp improvment over stock, when referring to 600cc machines. You are showing a liter, with a 3-4hp improvment (also a better midrange).

So what would a good slipon set you back? $400? $500? Which is about the price of a front end revalve, or getting close to a good set of tires. Now which one will shave more off a lap time, 4hp, better front end, or better tires?
I'd like to think that most people are aware that its not going to be the 4hp. Yet what is the first mod you see on 90% of the bikes out there (ok, probly a fender eliminator, but whats next?) and if there are better ways to get performance for the money, why would people insist on putting slip ons?? could it be the sound?

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 07:20 AM
Honda Moderator

Starbuck's wasn't open yet on my way in to work

In a perfect world without posers everybody would mod their suspension first to get the most out of their bike, but that's not where we live. So we start small & if you can show others the difference in performance of a crappy exhaust brand versus a quality exhaust brand then they might just later get the idea to pursue other top tier performance enhancements like suspension parts & rearsets instead of chrome windscreens, Fender Eliminators & LEDS...

Don't get me wrong I agree with you 100% in terms of lap times via horsepower or suspension, but that doesn't change the fact that your statements about all slip-ons being for noise is blatantly incorrect, but I digress & suspension work is where the real benefits come in.

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 07:32 AM

you telling me. I'm trying to decide if the coffee machine malfunction is a curse or a blessing (it makes really awfull coffee. But is it better than none at all? Still unsure).

I'm not arguing that there is no performance benefits from slips ons, or that some aren't any better than others. But I do like to carry a "pick your battles" attitude when it comes to performance. Few of us are operating with an open budget. So decisions have to be made, and the first one is "What exactly am I looking for". If its performance you are after, then go with tires, suspension, then a full system. If on the other hand, one is after "cool points", then save your cash, and get a D&D or a hotbodies, or whatever exhaust is considered "in" right now. Use the spare cash for vynil stickers, or maybe some "how-to" riding books.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 07:36 AM Thread Starter

So then- all rants aside, I hear you about the suspension, but I am looking for a little power, some cool points and some sound. I know how to ride pretty well- I have 11 years on a 600, but anyhow - Yamaha or Scorpion?
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 07:47 AM
Honda Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by MSMYTH
So then- all rants aside, I hear you about the suspension, but I am looking for a little power, some cool points and some sound. I know how to ride pretty well- I have 11 years on a 600, but anyhow - Yamaha or Scorpion?

Yamaha

You'll literally learn more in one day of track riding than you will in 10 years of street riding & one of the first things you will learn is that you don't ride near as good as you think you do. The second thing you will learn is the value of a properly set-up geometry & suspension.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 07-06-2006, 09:40 AM

Beleve me LDH is so right on the one day on the Track. There are some darn good people out there teaching advanced riding for Track Days to even racing. There you will pick up a maze of info on believed necessary extra power, suspension & how your ride compared to how you SHOULD ride the circuit & its bends.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode