Cell Phone Drivers in More Wrecks Than Drunks! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 06-30-2006, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

Cell Phone Drivers in More Wrecks Than Drunks!

http://health.msn.com/healthnews/art...38628&GT1=8211

No Kidding!

I was at an intersection the other day and EVERY cars driver was on the phone. Even when there's a passenger the drivers were yaking!

Hang up!
Back off!
And Drive.

A few ccs short of a full litre.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-01-2006, 05:31 AM

This has been known already by riders for years, since we are the only ones besides cops that actually notice whats happening on the roads. Atleast now, there's an actual study done on it. I'll print it out, keep it with me in my wallet at all times and when I get pulled over and complain about the cell phone drivers being worse then drunks. I'll have evidence to back it up if the cop doesn't agree.

Btw, Myth Busters proved it as well recently.
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-01-2006, 06:29 AM

They just need to pass a friggin law on this crap already. I yell at everyone in my family for talking on the phone while driving, but it isn't enough. Mabey a law would help.

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-01-2006, 08:09 AM

yeah, I'm suprised that there's little difference with hands free systems then talking normally on the cell phone.

For me, I never talk on the cell phone when driving. If it's important, they'll leave a message or call back later. If the same person is calling me 2 or more times, then I'll pull over and call them. If I'm in a bad mood, I'd just turn off the cell phone.
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-01-2006, 08:16 AM

Same here. I have also been known to crank my music really loud, answer long enough for them to kill their ear drums, then hand back up
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-01-2006, 08:32 AM

I pissed off a cell phone driver yesterday when I got off work. Saw her in my rear view mirror as she was weaving between cars and speeding. I guned it a bit to get in front of her and then paced the car next to me at the speed limit. Haha, man, she was pissed off for 15 mins.

And the funny thing is that she also drives an 03 acura TL. I think I taught her a valuable lesson... I'd say since I bought this car last month, I find myself driving the speed limit since I'll have more time to listen to my music and relax with the comfy leather seats. I could drive down to Florida right now and actually enjoy the 12 hour drive.
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-01-2006, 02:01 PM

I enjoy nice drives in my 99' protege with the leaking sun roof to Kenwood system with my Ipod hooked up to it. Cheap seats with ciggarette burns, smelling of mold and stains all over... I love it... Its like an old shoe, it may not look pretty, smell funky, and not be able to run like it use to... but its just adapted to my lifestyle
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-01-2006, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SepiasSoul
They just need to pass a friggin law on this crap already. I yell at everyone in my family for talking on the phone while driving, but it isn't enough. Mabey a law would help.
They did! Problem is, its local, only in Detroit. Its a 500 dollar fine if ticketed for use of a cell phone while driving. The offense is, "failure to use both hands on the wheel". Hahah! I know about 6 detroit cops, and they all told me the same thing.

If you fail to use both hands on the wheel while using a cell phone, 500 bucks. No deals.
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-02-2006, 02:40 AM

^I believe a few states also have it. Not sure which ones.
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 07-02-2006, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by JBaz
^I believe a few states also have it. Not sure which ones.
Very true. I was just talking about Michigan. I would imagine other cities have it throughout the state, but Im not sure. I only know of Detroit. They should install devices in new cars that retard the cell phone signal while in the car. You have to get out of the vehicle and step 10 feet away or so to use your phone. THAT would be sweet. We should petition for that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode