Lowside - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs down Lowside

Well it finally happened. My first time off the bike. I was going around a set of S-curves in town that I've travelled over countless times on my way from work at 5pm EST. The tires were warm and the bike was functioning as normal. As I rounded the apex of the first turn the rear broke loose right over this damn manhole cover that I've ridden over many times (usually I try to avoid it as much as possible). Down I went on the right side at 35-40mph for about 25-30ft. After making sure I was at a stop I looked around and there was an 18-wheeler behind me that had stopped and because of the nature of the turn, no one was going to run me over. Got the bike up with the crazy strength and rode home (4 blocks). My left shoulder that didn't make contact with the ground is really sore and I have a very small rash on my wrist where the glove and mesh jacket didn't cover.

Thank God for gear. My Fieldsheer M4 jacket with padding worked splendidly as did the gloves. I was only wearing jeans, but didn't take any leg damage. I was wearing Docs for boots and the right one is scuffed pretty good, but held up better than any pair of tennis shoes would have. I am not looking forward to how sore I'm going to be tomorrow. If my shoulder is still hurting I'm going to go see the doctor.

The frame slider did it's job and was ground down, with only light to moderate scratches on the right plastic. The brake lever was rotated forward due to the wheel being tucked in and sliding. The bars seem to be straight. The muffler flange cover is bent up a bit, but a hammer should straighten that out well enough.

I guess it could have been much worse and I'm glad I'm in one piece. Be safe and wear that gear!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 03:17 PM

That sucks....good to hear you ended up ok. Now you can replace those Docs with some good riding boots!
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Funny thing (or not so funny) is that I have two set of riding boots (Vega and Sidi-B2), but because it's a hassle to change at work I didn't have them on. Dumb. I also have a full zip together race suit that I could have worn.

The road and the bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_0629.jpg (41.4 KB, 182 views)

Last edited by Thermide; 06-29-2006 at 03:34 PM.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

Bike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_0635.jpg (107.5 KB, 179 views)
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

More bike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_0634.jpg (100.7 KB, 179 views)
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

Slider
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img_0633.jpg (64.7 KB, 175 views)
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 04:44 PM

Good to hear that it was only a minor fall. I'm surprised that you didn't highside actually, after sliding the rear out.

Knowing that the manhole cover exists, you should never have hit it, let alone "ridden over it many times". Gotta keep your head in the game, mate. Could have turned very ugly, with that truck behind you.

As you've learned, gear that's sitting at home isn't going to protect you in a fall.

Take it easy.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by cookeetree

Knowing that the manhole cover exists, you should never have hit it, let alone "ridden over it many times".
Good point Cookeetree. A few things though on this road; The leftmost lane is actually merging traffic from another road that dosen't need to stop. The leftmost lane also is a "must left" lane as indicated by the arrows. This results in a lot of cagers diving into the middle lane erratically in order to continue westbound. Addtionally recent road work about 1/8 mile ahead (westbound) forces the middle lane to merge into the right lane. All of these conditions combined resulted in me picking the right most lane to continue my travel. That manhole cover is about dead center in the lane, so in hindsight I should have stayed in the rightmost portion of the lane, but due to the sand put on the road in the winter there is always some near the edges. You can see some of the sand/gravel in the foreground of the picture of the road.

But, no excuses. I apparently didn't have enough control of the bike/road and definately should have had more gear.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 05:04 PM

The big point is YOU were not injured more then what you say & in the next two days you will feel same other places or pain beyond what you have now. It is part of life.

Bike came out quite good. Probably be put back into action quite quickly & might show a minor "scar" from laying down. Like my frame slider took such a blow (I was probably clocking around 60 to 70mph) & the frame slider bolt was bent to the maximum. I am using the same frame slider with a new bolt.

True I had to replace the complete nose piece of my '97 Yamaha YZF600r, right panel, signal light & mirror. Managed to straighten out the front brake lever like a fraction at a time till I was happy, & some other parts had to be touched up with paint like the h/bar weight on the right side, a bit of the case touched up with paint, some of the exhaust with paint where it was black---seems everyone with a 600r that changed over to an after market better(?) sounding can simply threw stock new one away ( I guess people have a lot of money these days for being in the m/c business we saved evey slightely or dramatically damaged can for other uses) so it still shows the scratches as does a small bit of the fuel tank & frame. Otherwise the bike runs like a charm. I finished 6.5 hrs or riding up in the Cdn Rockie Mtn up & down twisty two lane roads & the bike has been doing this even since I pranged the bike in June 6th '03.

Mind you it took me a while to heal up like three broken ribs, damaed ankle, right shoulder & head did the ploughing in the gravel & dirt so natch a new Shoei helmet though healing up the front & back right shoulder muscles took time at the gym.

Still like others will & are saying-- NEVER touch anything on the road that is metal, the white painted stuff to even the yellow lines as you want to get over them fast & in the safest way. Like do not be slowly going over them & same in comming back onto the lane. Do it with snap movement for it is more direct.

Last edited by Smitty; 06-29-2006 at 05:09 PM.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 05:09 PM

Hey, at least you've learned from your error. Kudos for that.

While you're avoiding that manhole, I'd be avoiding the big, white arrow on the road, too! F*cking road engineers. They don't have any idea how dangerous they make the roads for bikers. Those shiny lines and arrows are like ice, especially with a bit of water on them.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode