To support squids or not to support squids. - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 07:01 AM Thread Starter

To support squids or not to support squids.

To support squids or not to support squids that is the question.....

I met up with a ya-hoo (aka: wanna be a wankster but I can only afford to be a wank; saving up to add the -ster lata homie, ya feel me) on a katana 600 last night. I hate the ghetto wanna be's expecially up here in Maine, come on your a hick never been further south than NH and you think your straight out of brooklin, please)

What a interesting character, he was chasing me around Portland for about 10-15min before I stopped to see what was up. Typical squid no helmet or gloves he did have a nice pair of ray bans, but it was 11pm at night so I am sue the visibility was limited from them. I am assumeiing that between the shades and bling (gold cross that I though may have been to scale of the origional) he had more invested into his "personal assecories" than his bike and a years worth of insurance.

I was quite interested in his riding tallent or lack there of.....doing freequent "humping of the bike" to bounce the front up and pull several 4-5 inch wheelies for a tremendous distance (if you were wheelieing a FLHTC) maybe 5-6 feet. He was quite impressed with his own abilities. He started to figure out about 15-20 min later that I was not participating in his squidly behavior and decided to "blow me away" so he took off through the tail end of a yellow light... At the same time I saw flashing lights to my right approaching the intersection, sure enough is was one of Portland's finest, responding to a call.

In all of about .4 seconds I experienced several feelings at once, first happy that he would get caught acting like a dumbass, then sick to my stomach thinking of what he would look like after he is side swiped by a Portland cop driving a SUV with a brush guard on the front at 40mph. In a flash it was over the, squid locked up both breaks and started to slide with his rear end kicking out to his right. The Officer must have seen him comming because he swearved to the right and matted the SUV! Just as the SUV when by the dope on the Katana highsided over the right and launched himself a good 15-20 feet. The bike slid past him and into a curb on the opposite side of the street.

Here I am shaking my head, stopped at the light. Wondering, damn.... is that PO going to come back to see if he is okay? Sure enough in the moments of counting my lucky stars for not allowning him to provoke my squidly behavior in the downtown area. I helped him pick up the bike and he decided to lay down on the sidewalk. Another cop car showed up (5-10 min later) asked if he was okay, and what happened. No call for an ambulance or any type of medical exam. That's great just let a dude like that riday away with a concussion.....After telling the story to the officer I asked... "Why didn't the other officer stop?" He riplied that the other officer was a domestic disturbance call and would not stop because he need to respond to a potential life threatoning situation.... WTF? I asked how did he know that he wasn't hurt or killed in this accident? No answer.... After checking both of our info out.. Lic, reg, ins, inspection's the Officer asks: So, do you want me to fill out an accident report? The squidly man said, yes I do! Officer: Are you sure I don't think it was over $500 damage to your bike so it will probley just make your insurance go up. Again the squid says yes. The Officer said well then I guess I need to write you up for not stopping for an emergency vehicle and no inspection sticker then huh...

When I realized he wouldn't dignify himself to a responce to any of my questions, I thought just shut my mouth and get out of there before he starts being really nice and hands me a nice ticket too (even though all my info was in order and I did nothing wrong). I left my number with the unfortunate rider and told him I would be more than happy to participate in any type of legal proceedings against the city if he needed me. He had a friend drive a truck over to get the bike I recommended that he also take him to the hospital, to document the accident and get checked out.

I normally say the squid gets what he deserves in a situation like this but the complete lack of respect and responsibility displayed by Portland's finest has me worked up. What if it were me and the cop car just kept driving to go to a "life threatoning call" and I am laying in the road unconcious or unable to move, waiting for another car to run me over. Not impressed one bit! In this case I think I should support this guy even if I think he is a ghetto thuggin wanna be squid.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 07:41 AM

walk away. There are no winners in this situation, just loosers. If it gets to court, it will either be settled for pennies, or become a long and drawn out crapfest. I'm sure mcsquid had some sort of priors, that someoen will make something up, and that the lawyers will end up screwing everyone involved. So you stand nothing to gain, but guaranteed to loose at least a few days of your time. Forget it ever happened.

post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 07:45 AM
Resident Smart Ass!

Send a message via AIM to Jester Send a message via Yahoo to Jester
After ths guy highsided, was he moving at all? Did the cop see him move? In most cases if he is moving and concious the police will roll through, calling for EMS. If he was NOT moving, then yes, the cop would have to stop and at least provide first response medical support until an EMT or paramedic arrives. ( I have EMT cert and get to boss cops around, talk about a power trip ).

Yes, the cop should have at least stopped.
Yes, the squid should have been wearing gear, gave the right of way to the police and not have been attempting wheelies in public.

IMO, I would not have said "Here's my number if you want to sue the city and need a witness".... but that's just me.

Help control the squid population, have your squid spayed or neutered

"it's not the smart ass behavior that gets to me... it's the dumb ass behavior that is a problem..." -Quote from my Aunt.

Only motorcycle riders understand why dogs stick their head out of car windows.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 07:48 AM

Hi mainerdr-

Look at it through the lens of risk vs. reward. One can always get philosophical about these kinds of events, but it just isn't worth the investment of your time, energy, and money in the scenario you've described. Once you start getting your name involved in lawsuits against the City of Portland you will sow the wind and reap the whirlwind.

~ Blue Jays ~
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 08:02 AM

I say let him do what he want with the city, but you should steer clear. Give him advise, like wear a helmet and some gear dipshit, be glad your still alive, and just move on. There isn't much of a cure for stupidity, other than a gun, so just let him attempt learn on his own. I do feel sorry that he had to meet some of "Portlands best" though. Some cops seem only to make a bad situation worse...
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Jester, the cop was moving at a high rate of speed thru the intersection when the guy wiped. So maybe he shouldn't have stoped, but in my gut I really feel that the officer was neglecting the use of caution through an intersection with a red light. Yes he should go through the intersection but not at 40+mph in a 25mph zone with a blind intersection... Just my opinion.

I guess I should stay out of it but, I can't help but think if it were me and I was injured I wouldn't want my only witness to just split and not offer help if he needs it. I plan to only say my side of the story and tell the truth to what I saw. I feel if I turn my back on a fellow biker that got the shaft then it's just bad carma for me. Maybe I am wrong but I feel I am doing the right thing.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 11:55 AM
Resident Smart Ass!

Send a message via AIM to Jester Send a message via Yahoo to Jester
Quote:
Originally posted by mainerdr
Jester, the cop was moving at a high rate of speed thru the intersection when the guy wiped. So maybe he shouldn't have stoped, but in my gut I really feel that the officer was neglecting the use of caution through an intersection with a red light. Yes he should go through the intersection but not at 40+mph in a 25mph zone with a blind intersection... Just my opinion.

Ok, now that you bring up the blind intersection, yes I can see that he should have slowed down. Being that not all the facts were given to start with, I was only going off of what you had told us.

EMT's and paramedics here are REQUIRED to stop at an accident scene, otherwise they get their license revoked. Dunno about police. If he radioed to another unit in the area due to him going full speed to a domestic, they would have gotten there sooner.

Help control the squid population, have your squid spayed or neutered

"it's not the smart ass behavior that gets to me... it's the dumb ass behavior that is a problem..." -Quote from my Aunt.

Only motorcycle riders understand why dogs stick their head out of car windows.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 12:44 PM

Very interesting situation. The squid blasted off at the tail end of a yellow light. Most likely speeding himself. He did not make contact with the patrol vehicle.

Emergency vehicles has the resposibility to verify intersections are clear when they are running red lights. Doesn't matter what the hell is going on. It is their resposibility to verify a safe run through the light. Where this guy would run into problems winning this is the fact that he was probably speeding and he didn't make contact which would typically mean he could have avoided the accident(in the eyes of a court).

I personally would still try to nail the police forces asses since it sounds like the cop was partially negligent. I believe if he had any kind of decent lawyer at all he would get at least something out of it. He could probably get enough for a new Gixxer Thou'.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 01:05 PM

Hi mainerdr-

You could always tell the whole truth how you rode around with this person for thirty minutes during which time he pulled wheelies in traffic and accelerated through a "stale yellow" signal to end your time together. Your challenge would be to report all the facts as you saw them with care not to add or delete any of the information leading up the moment of the crash.

~ Blue Jays ~
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Blue Jays
Hi mainerdr-

You could always tell the whole truth how you rode around with this person for thirty minutes during which time he pulled wheelies in traffic and accelerated through a "stale yellow" signal to end your time together. Your challenge would be to report all the facts as you saw them with care not to add or delete any of the information leading up the moment of the crash.

~ Blue Jays ~

A good lawyer would never let that happen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode