stay focused - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-24-2006, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

stay focused

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...08006818943324 I saw this on another forum. Just wanted to know you guys think of rider's form/concentration or lack thereof ................................the caption below was attached to video.....................................

1. First off, this is a link to a video I made. I put it here in the hopes it would get more visibility.

There have been quite a few riders going down this season that we know personally and who we only know as screen names on this site.

So I put this video together and named it "Read The Signs"

These "signs" are not the only contributing factors to single bike accidents they are surely part.

These are the signs you get when you hop on the bike and you are feeling like you have to force the bike to do what you want. Your head just may not be in the right place to fully execute the bike through the corners at the rate of speed you want. Or you may be thinking of other things than the ride. Maybe you are too tired. Whatever the reason, "read" these signs and adjust your behavior accordingly. The signs will be there and most of us will notice them and will compensate the way we are riding. It is hard to do for some people sometimes if in a group. You may feel you have something to prove, but no one does. You will look really stupid when you are picking up your bike from off the ground or out of the ditch.

We all have to be humble when it comes to our abilities. You will always be faster than someone else, and there will always be someone faster than you.

Personally I think the only ones capable of forcing the bike to do what is needed regardless of ones current physical/mental state is the professionals. Even at that they can't do it 100%.

The following video is of a rider on this site who went down Memorial day. On a ride with our usual group of guys who also are on this site. The rider in question here is a very accomplished rider. Anyone who will follow him will usually comment on how smooth and precise this individual rides. He also has a habit of falling to the back of the group if he doesn't feel like his head is into the ride. This is one of the signs I speak of. For whatever reason on this day he failed to read the signs being presented to him. As you watch the video you will see them as well and ultimately this is what led to what you will see at the end of the clip. Our group wasn't going at a hair raising speed as you will see. However was still a spirited ride. This rider featured here could have made the turn(easily) however didn't. Mostly because it wasn't his day to ride the pace he chose to ride. While he is capable of the pace it just wasn't today. For whatever reason that was...he will only be the one who will truly know.

I submit this to remind those that are experienced and may forget that we aren't invincible, "I know I think I am at times" and to the new riders here who have the new experience of owning and riding a bike. From beginner to experienced we all will continue to learn from our experiences and mistakes.__________________
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-24-2006, 05:36 PM

Re: stay focused

Quote:
Originally posted by sixer
...He also has a habit of falling to the back of the group if he doesn't feel like his head is into the ride. This is one of the signs I speak of.
The thought had just gone through my head that "this guy is all over the place and keeps blowing his lines" when *bloop*, off the side he went. I've had days like that when, for whatever reason, I just wasn't into the ride that day, and I've turned around and headed home.

It sucks, but sure beats the hell out of the alternative. His accident could have been far worse and is a sobering reminder of what can happen when we don't have our heads in the game.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 10:10 AM

good post, good reminder that somdays is just not your day,

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 01:44 PM

Sixer who felt said rider was "---rider in question here is a very accomplished rider.---" ??? Not in my books for like hapster he was all over the lane, often wheels on the wrong side of the lane & often to close to the shoulder line where he finally pranged the bike, plus going into the bends to fast & gearing down part way through the bends or easing off the throttle & then opening it up a bit.

Had he been spotted by the RCMP he would have been stopped & give a Dangerous Driving ticket which means immediate confiscation of his bike to go in whatever compound they are using, in the clanger for a good part of the day with finger printing & mug shots. Then up to him to get a lawyer to have him out later in said day. In most cases the rider ends up loosing (I know for I was nailed with the same---but not wondering all over the road to even being on the wrong lane) it will be a heavy find of over $500.00 & six months or more in confiscation of his license. They will also look at previous records & could make it heavier fine & longer time without a DL.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-25-2006, 03:13 PM

I agree with smitty. He maybe a good and safe rider, but in that video he doesn't seem to show it in the turns. He's leaning too early in some turns, breaking halfway in the turns, and not accelerating into the turn. He's also leaning way to far over when the bike isn't even leaning.

When the rider wrecks, he's lucky to have went into that little ditch or else he would have went over the side of the cliff. It does kinda suck that he did wreck as it looked like he was trying to take things slow.

This is why I prefer to ride by myself or with just one or two friends. I don't like group riding. I'm also not comfortable with other motorcycles going high speed through curves like a few feet away from me. It just makes me nervous and I won't feel as confident in my riding skills because I'd always think if I'd wreck would I take out other riders?
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 12:02 AM

I prefer small groups as well, though I've been out with as many as ten. The newbs didn't want to stay single file in the twisties, and like JBaz, that makes me nervous as hell. It's one thing on an interstate, with big sweeping turns, but not in the twisties on a back road, where you need room to maneuver. Worrying about the guy beside you just blows your concentration.

Even when the group is small, like four or five bikes, if I'm with people whose skill I don't know or trust, I drop to the back where I can keep an eye on them. If they seem to be getting really out of control, I'll try and signal the leader to stop and have we'll have a chat.

I'm always open to others critiquing my skills, but not everyone is so receptive. The more inexperienced and over confident they are, the more likely they'll just blow you off, or get pissed. Hell, when I know I've made a mistake, I'll ask the guy behind me (if there was one) what he saw. The worst mistakes can be the ones you don't learn from. If you don't, you'll end up learning the hard way. Or worse.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 03:24 AM

I hate it when other motorcycles change position in the lane instead sticking to the left or right side. Considering when you are riding in a group, it's suppose to be a alternating position. I'm always riding with idiots. Come on, I can't be the only person who read the manuals...
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 07:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by hapster

Even when the group is small, like four or five bikes, if I'm with people whose skill I don't know or trust, I drop to the back where I can keep an eye on them. If they seem to be getting really out of control, I'll try and signal the leader to stop and have we'll have a chat.
Man I do the opposite. I try to move ahead of them- sad to say,but I don't want to run into them in case they go down. Now don't get me wrong, I don't profess to be some great rider- I know there's alot that I still have yet to learn,but there are some guys that I've ridden with from time to time that just make me plain nervous.lol I would rather ride by myself than with people that make me nervous.

Last edited by sixer; 06-26-2006 at 07:43 AM.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 08:14 AM

So is my reason for riding solo 100% of the time. If I run into someone from my area & let us say I am around 30+ miles away, IF(?) they assume I am about to ride home & say they will ride with me, that is when I tell them I have to go & visit a friend for around an hr or so.

Mind you in past yrs if they were to appear at a dirt comp race to watch then okay, & if they appeared to help out then even better yet. If they came to actually compete then that would be prime reason to compete with them.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-26-2006, 10:05 AM

I'll add my scepticism to the "accomplished rider" crowd. Mid corner panic brakes, lousy line, target fixation. I would've been scared to follow him that closely, or to have him follow me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode