AMA Lap Speed Avg - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

AMA Lap Speed Avg

I was watching the AMA races @ Miller on Speed Channel. The Formula Extreme front runner were posting laps speed averaging 120 and above. Then (tivo) I watched the SuperStock there were only doing around the mid 90s. What is the reason? I assumed the opposite would be true?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 09:19 AM

That's interesting since I read that Mladin was the first to post an average lap speed of over 100mph. I'm not sure of what the facts are with average laps speeds but it is very possible to have the FXtreme bikes posting faster speeds than Superstock since the FXtreme front runners are probably producing as much horsepower as the Superstock 1000s and maybe more and the FXtreme bikes are lighter most likely.

Let me do some research... might be able to get some numbers on weights and estimated rwhp.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 10:01 AM

Some info I've obtain <cough>: The top FXtreme bikes are putting out about 140 at the rear wheel give or take a couple hp so they don't have the hp advantage but... they are limited to 350lbs and you can bet that the top teams aren't carrying anymore weight than is required. One other advantage they have besides weight is that they can run whatever suspension they want. They can change out to a complete Ohlins Superbike setup or Showa factory Superbike suspension. They also can run slick tires.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

May I dare say that 1000cc are "too big" for current day tracks?
Or that the jump from a 750cc Superbike to a 1000cc Superbike class is a jump that should not have been done so soon?

Probably not ... but this avg lap speed is interesting.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 11:45 AM

What time are these races on? I've been trying to catch any of the pro bike races for awhile but can never find them on TV. Thanks in advance for the info and sorry for the hijack.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Check your TV giude (on your cable box) on Sundays afternoons on the SPEED Channel. They will replay them on Tuesday afternoons if there were races the previous Sunday.
(If you have TIVO, search "Motorcycling Racing" it should come up.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 11:52 AM

Thanks, Ill give it a shot. I can only scan 12 hours ahead unfortunatly though. I don't have Tivo either, I spend enough time infront of the TV already
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-23-2006, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by nomadic
May I dare say that 1000cc are "too big" for current day tracks?
Or that the jump from a 750cc Superbike to a 1000cc Superbike class is a jump that should not have been done so soon?

Probably not ... but this avg lap speed is interesting.
Of course we were discussing Superstock and FXtreme but either way I sort of disagree with your opinion on the jump to 1000cc Superbikes. It had to happen because that is where the World Superbike Championship was going and that is where the manufacturers wanted to go. The speeds would have been right where they are even with 750cc Superbikes. Technology would have followed and costs would have skyrocketed. The difference being only factory teams could have continued. The privateers would have been pushed even farther back. Right now a well financed privateer and have a fairly successful season. It is cheaper for the teams to have Superbikes since the 1000cc bikes have so many restrictions on them(in the AMA). Superstock had turned into a joke too with every bike except 2 being Suzukis. No body wanted to continue to put money into 750s except Suzuki.

Your reasoning makes sense but it's just not the right timing to use it. LOL it's 10 years to late.

MotoGP was going to 990cc 4-strokes so the whole marketing thing said you needed to phase out 750s and start using 1000cc bikes.

Of course my logic will be totally contradictory here the near future because....

It really isn't going to matter here real soon when FXtreme moves into a more unlimited class and takes on the Superbike name. It will eventually be the premier class. They avoid the answer now but it will happen for the reason you state... the tracks aren't safe enough over here.

Next 5 years will be interesting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode