storage? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 09:07 PM Thread Starter

storage?

I live in an apartment complex that has outdoor off-street parking. I was debating on buying a cover for my bike. I heard that they hold in the moisture and do more harm than good. What is everyone's opinion on covers? Pain in the ass? Any other suggestions? Please help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 10:01 PM

A little rain isn't going to hurt it, just plug your exhaust, the sun will though if you don't keep a good bit of wax on it as well as keeping the seats coated with something like armor all. I've heard similar things about tank bras and causing more harm than good. I guess it would come down to how often you ride it. If you ride every day, then a cover would be a pain, but I couldn't see moisture or dirt being a problem with it since it would be removed alot. Over longer periods of time, a few weeks, then maybe. I do know that some covers have a one way membrain on the that allows moisture out, but not in. Just what I've heard though, never needed to test it since I have a garage at the moment.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 10:19 AM

id like to first talk about the armor all.... i woudlnt put that on your seat as it will make it slippery and you could slide ride off, shift around alot etc. not considered good for safety reasons

which brings me to ask what should one use? to keep it looking new or nice and black? cover? make sure its garage kept?
because on my 01 the seat looks like ass ha. but im selling soon i hope which is why i havent invested in a corbin

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 10:28 AM

The seat covers are vinyl. Just go and have them redone, I've had a banana seat on my first bike redone for like $30, which should be less than the cost of the cover.
Unless you ride an HD, rain shouldnt hurt your bike. Beware of any aftermarket components, as those will often times show some rust.

For the ultimate apt storage see if there is a storage unit near by you can rent. My last apt owned one, so it was next door. For $25/mo you can have your own garage.

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 10:38 AM

Motorcycle Consumer News (July issue) compared stretch half-covers-Geza vs Nelson-Rigg

www.mcnews.com
Nelson-Rigg
Geza
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Vash
The seat covers are vinyl. Just go and have them redone, I've had a banana seat on my first bike redone for like $30, which should be less than the cost of the cover.
Unless you ride an HD, rain shouldnt hurt your bike. Beware of any aftermarket components, as those will often times show some rust.

For the ultimate apt storage see if there is a storage unit near by you can rent. My last apt owned one, so it was next door. For $25/mo you can have your own garage.
wow dude thats cheap it costs like 60 bux a month for a liike 5x10 ft storage here its crazy. but my were moving next month with a 2 car garage hellz yea, which is another reason im going to get a nice bike
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SkinnyJ
id like to first talk about the armor all.... i woudlnt put that on your seat as it will make it slippery and you could slide ride off, shift around alot etc. not considered good for safety reasons
Everyone keeps telling me that, but I don't seem to have any problems with it. If you get on right after you finish cleaning it, then yea its slick, but if you wait an hour or two it has absorbed in, atleast on my bike. What do you clean/protect your seats with if not armor all?
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 12:32 PM

well thats what i was asking because everyone says not to use armor all but then thats a pickle then isnt it? i just use soap right now lol. but when i get a new bike i want to know what to do
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 01:44 PM

Like Sepias I have used Armor-all on my saddles since around the early 80s. Sure it is slippery if you plunk your butt on it when wet, but I apply it the evening berore & let it sink in. Still slippery I will agree, but then I am scooting my butt to the left & right so often.

Mind you anything you sit on after be it vines or a wooden chair the person sitting on it will scoot off the other side thing it has the old grab & not all slitherred up from your jeans, fabric protective riding trousers or leather. BELIEVE me I have seen it when our service man would slam self down only to scoot off the chair to the others side, to be getting up & saying "Smitty you have used Armor All on your saddle again haven't you?".

Do not apply it to your tyres, but the black plastic in the cocpit area will take on a nice luster if you put it there & helps it as well.
One to NOT touch is "Son a Gun" for something in it to where you can make the vinel start to harden it. We noted this on a customer's bike.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-20-2006, 02:12 PM

so you guys are saying as long as it soaks in over night or somthing its alright basically?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode