Viewpoint: Motorcycle helmets can do more harm than good - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Viewpoint: Motorcycle helmets can do more harm than good

Yea this is my towns newspaper... YAY just read on ill let you draw your own conclusions

Pensacola News Journal

Viewpoint: Motorcycle helmets can do more harm than good
Zeno Weir

The tragic automobile incident of an at-fault driver violating the right of way of motorcyclist and football star Ben Roethlisberger has invited comment by the Safetycrats.

Their specious reasoning is that if Roethlisberger had been wearing a helmet he would have been spared injuries. Ironically, the leading cause of death in motorcycle crash incidents is chest trauma.

Helmets often do more harm than good, yet the Safetycrats advocate mandatory usage rather than jail time for idiots and drunks in cars who slaughter innocent motorcyclists. If Roethlisberger had been wearing a helmet, it could very well have induced a basalar skull fracture, killing him.

After 28 years of riding a Harley-Davidson all over the good ole U.S. of A, I have developed a hate of itchy, hot, heavy, sight- and hearing-restricting helmets. Helmets are as likely to kill a rider as save the rider's skull as long as the impact exceeds 15 miles per hour, since that's all any helmet is rated for.

The danger of helmet usage in a crash incident is that the weight of the helmet is multiplied many times and induces basalar skull fracture.

NASCAR drivers Dale Earnhardt, Kenny Irwin and Adam Petty all suffered basalar skull fractures. Today's NASCAR drivers have their head gear restrained to prevent this fatal injury.

This is not possible on motorcycles.

On March 27, 2003, at about 6:30 p.m. I was riding my Harley on Gulf Beach Highway when I was rear-ended by a distracted "soccer mommy" who fled the incident scene.

Always watching my "six" under the "all cars are guilty until proven innocent" Zeno rule, I saw that the automobile was not even going to hit its brakes, and I accelerated and banked away. Flying through the air, I endeavored to "slide into second base" and suffered a separated shoulder, torn rotator cuff and, eventually, had a hip replacement.

My helmet was of no factor in this incident, but it did nearly break my neck. It still hurts and is stiff to this day. As I was lying there, trying not to move to prevent paralysis, I wondered if my neck were broken, and then had to threaten to shoot the volunteer fireman who insisted upon removing my helmet before I was properly boarded and head-restrained by the well-trained EMT team.

The LifeFlight ride was really nice. I would like to thank Trooper Matthew Freeman of the Florida Highway Patrol, whose diligence brought "soccer mommy" to jail. I would also like to thank Assistant State Attorney Lee Robertson for demanding and getting jail time for "soccer mommy," and a big thanks to Gulf Coast Orthopedics.

Bikers all hate to see another person hurt or killed, at any time. We can learn from the tragic deaths of the NASCAR heroes that helmets can be deadly.

Occasionally, they do prevent injuries. I have had rocks bounce off of mine. Perhaps, as more and more real medical information is shown to the public, they will begin to see that helmets don't always save lives, but can kill or inflict serious injury.

Mandatory helmet laws do nothing to prevent accidents or make motorcyclists safer. If the Safetycrats want to pass laws, try increased penalties for the motorists who maim or kill bikers and who are at fault in the vast majority of motorcycle-automobile incidents.

If the State of Pennsylvania would jail the at-fault driver who maimed Roethlisberger, that would coerce some drivers to "Look Twice for Motorcycles and Save a Life."

Zeno Weir is a Realtor, a resident of Pensacola and a longtime motorcycle rider.

Alert all the major bike/motorcycle foundations and tell them when there racing or doing things like moto gp that they shouldnt be wearing helmets
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 01:44 PM

Nice. So we got a guy that learned one long word, with no statistics to back it up, but who needs statistics when you got nascar?

post #3 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 01:49 PM

Yea, I seriously doubt that MotoGp would have any increase in injuries if they just wore bandanas.

post #4 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 01:55 PM

rated at 15mph is very different than effective at 15mph.
Most riders injuries are to the legs, not torso (you should wear your leathers to protect both)
Why arent we seing an influx of riders killed by basalar skull fractures?

How exactly are increased penalties going to help anything? Its not like everycager is out to kill a biker out there.

post #5 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 02:02 PM

Hi Zeno-

Thanks, but I'll take my chances with my current full-face Arai helmets if it is all the same.
  • Had a section of lumber fall from a dumptruck two vehicles in front of me and then get kicked up by the car that was following it. I was able to duck as the wood hit me in the forehead.
  • Years later, I had a bird miscalculate and swoop into my path. My Shoei helmet was splattered with blood and guts and I think it would have otherwise swept me off the motorcycle.
~ Blue Jays ~
post #6 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 02:04 PM

To everyone who reads this post:

The Pensacola News Journal posts garbage all of the time. They don't back anything up and they distort facts in their favor. I have refused to read this paper ever since they distorted a quote out of my mouth to make it fit the article. It is pure crap. The end!
post #7 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

sweet were going to meet up when i get back .
yea the daily news is much better IMO but its out of ft walton
post #8 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 03:00 PM

Helmets are dangerous

This asinine position has been scientifically disproven a dozen times. The only morons that actually still believe this drivel are the hard-core, dirtbag Harley bikers who try to find any way, no matter how illogical and disproven, to justify their choice of riding helmetless.
post #9 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 03:53 PM

If the impact was enough to cause a basilar (SP?) skull fracture... then without the helmet and the wouldn't it just shatter the skull and frag into your brain?!?! The idiots in this world... sheeze. And if he was going to use nascar as a viewpoint... he should have atleast gotten it right. The fractures weren't from an impact on the head, but from the head going forward to fast, over extenting and then literally ripping the base of the skull rather that jamming it into the skull. Is it just me or did he successfully avoid stating a single valid point? I think he hurt his head more in that wreck than he indicates...
post #10 of 67 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 05:14 PM

I think the point he was making was the effect that the added weight of the helmet would have.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode