What's with the one headlight out on RR's? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 12:35 AM Thread Starter

What's with the one headlight out on RR's?

I keep seeing R1's, R6's, and CBR's etc.. with only the left or right headlight on.

Is this the latest fad or something?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 12:46 AM

one's low beam, the other is high beam... made sense with the engineers... I've been pulled over twice by cops telling me I have a broken headlight.
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 03:37 AM

Cops are total ass holes!
I got pulled over 2 times in one day within 1 hour just because they wanted to make sure I had my motorcycle endorsement on my drivers license. Sorry, that this doesn't relate to the headlight. But cops are f__ked up in Texas right now. They think they are God. At least I didn't get a ticket. I am legal.

"The good, & the evil; there never really is one without the other...!?"

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by JBaz
one's low beam, the other is high beam... made sense with the engineers... I've been pulled over twice by cops telling me I have a broken headlight.
The first time I found that one out, was when I took a brand new bike back to the dealership.

post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 04:58 AM

Honda has been doing that since the RC-51 in 2000. I believe that Ducati has been doing it since the 916 came out back in the mid 90s but I'm not positive on that one. The ones I worked on didn't have their lights.
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 06:38 AM

I just always keep my high beems on.
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 06:45 AM

This is just a rumor I heard and I'm not sure I believe it. I heard they went to one headlight because a bike with two beams looks like a car that is far away, but in reality it's a bike that's very close. Does that make sense? If you think about it, it does. If you see two lights coming at you at night you would think it's a car, but the lights on a bike are so close together, they look like one light anyway from far away.

I don't really know. Thats why I don't really believe that explanation. I think I might have even read that in one of the "funny books" like cycle world or motorcyclist!
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 07:16 AM

Hi DieSonne-

That is very interesting about the headlights. I've always noticed the "off-center" appearance of late-model motorcycle lamps but never really thought at length about it. I remember when some riders used to run a white bulb and an amber bulb to provide additional depth-perception to cagers.

What does everyone think is the engineering reason behind it? Does keeping the low-beam and the high-beam bulbs completely separate from each other preserve the filament by letting them stay cooler? I'm not technical in nature, so I'm kind of puzzled.

~ Blue Jays ~
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 07:23 AM

I think its a cost thing again bluey. They could go suzi style for one bulb, but that would change the "look" too much. If they go with dual filament bulbs in each spot, we're talking about a higher price.

post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 08:47 AM

Hi Vash-

So you're saying a rider could have two low-beams and two high-beams (if they wish) by replacing the stock single-filament bulbs with dual-filament bulbs? I'm just asking because this will apply to my "dreambike" someday!

~ Blue Jays ~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode