Tire Width - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Tire Width

I was just looking at the wear marks aka, chicken strips on my rear tire, vs my friends rear tire. I have a 160 on my bike and he has a 180. I was just wondering how the width of the tire affects handling characterstics and maximum lean angle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 01:09 PM

same cc bike?
good question though.
i just know bigger cc bikes have wider tires i would image beacause they have more torque? and you would need more rubber down? i have no clue so im waiting for some responses as well
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 01:16 PM

Hi slick1537-

There have been folks with big sportbikes who have swapped from stock 190's down to 180's on their rear tires for quicker response with only a minor amount of lost traction.

In my own situation, my stock front tire is a 120/60 R17 and I have migrated to a 120/70 R17 size. It seems to get more "gradual" turning ability and slightly improved ride quality. I can't tell whether I'm using more tread or not.

~ Blue Jays ~

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 01:30 PM

I am one of those that have gone from 190 down to 180 on my Honda 929 & 954 I like the slight improvement when cornering in this Cdn Rockie Mtn basically 2-lane roads.

Mind you my '97 Yamaha YZF600r is stock with 160 rear. Needed a new rear & realized I had the Metezler ME-Z2 still hanging around for my '91(?) Suzy GSXR-750. Though 170 it did go on without any fuss, BUT the cornering is not up to snuff of the 160. So once it wears out I will go to stock 160.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 05:23 PM

depends on the bike and how much power it makes. For older bikes, 160 seemed to be the set standard, but most 600 bikes back then only made like 75-80 rwhp. Now days, modern 600 bikes producing 100+rwhp use 180's to increase the grip.

For tires, when your going straight your U shape turns more into |_|, where the center becomes flatter - more surface area. When you lean, the same principle applies where the tire flattens out to increase traction/grip. 160 tires have a much narrower center flat spot, while 180's while, they do have similar curved ends on the sidewalls, are bigger in the middle. 190's and up are mostly thicker in the middle too.

Think of the 160 being (_) , easier cornering and you can flick on a dime (depending on bike).
180's being (__) , easy cornering but still enough center surfance area to move.
190+ (___) . When you lean and roll the tires to the sidewalls, there esstially will be less amount of tire when cornering. And they prove to be a bigger challenge when trying to flick the bike from side to side.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the answers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode