Wrecked! - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Unhappy Wrecked!

hey guys, for those of you that dont know i wont be getting a sportbike till spring. For now though i have this scooter and last night i was out riding around and pushin my limits. I should have known better but i was doin about 40(toppin it out) around a corner and hit some gravel. I ended up lowsiding it in sandals, shorts and a tee. So now i have some bad road rash all over. I didnt go to the doctor cause i dont have insurance. So my question i guess is does anyone know what to do for it? its lookin pretty nasty, there some green goo crap in there too. Sorry if that was too detailed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 10:14 AM

Doc

Beg, borrow, or steal in order pay for it, but get yourself to the doc before that stuff gets any worse and you end up having a lot more to worry about than the bill.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 11:20 AM

The road rash isnt a big deal. Clean the crap out of it (I dont care how much it hurts, get it clean. Lots of warm water) apply lots of neosporin, cover with loose bandages, so it can breathe. Clean it twice a day(more if you can), its ok to tear some of the scabs off, your main concern is infection. reaply anti biotic ointment, and it should heal just fine. However a doc will likely have some ways to keep it from scaring, which its almost guaranteed to do otherwise. I would be more concerned about other injuries, if they are present, especially the tendons (sp?) those damn things dont ever want to heal.

Now that its over, what the hell were you thinking? Sandals shorts and a T? What kind of squidly bullshit is that? I know that its just a scooter and all, but a 30mph impact to the head is enough to kill you. As in dead. As in never getting a sportbike. Get yourself a helmet, it doesnt matter what kind of budget you are on, you need a helmet. Wear some good boots, cause you dont want to break those toes (ouch!), and at least a heavy denim pants and jacket.

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 12:05 PM

Gear

Good point on the gear Vash. You know, VERY rarely have I seen a scooter rider with gear. The other day, I saw one with a Joe Rocket armored jacket, full face sportbike style helmet, boots, etc. Initially, I thought it looked a bit weird. But when you really think about it, many of these scooters are traveling in the city at the same speed a motorcycle does and they are subject to all the traffic hazards and idiot cage drivers that we are.

Now there's a growing niche market waiting to be explored- riding/safety gear focused on the scooter rider.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 12:11 PM

I'd ATLEAST wear a helmet on a scooter, I dont care if they can "only" go 30-40mph, there can always be a car going 60+ coming behind you that doesnt see you!
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 12:16 PM

You crashed a scooter? Still gonna jump on that gixxer600 that will do like 160-170?
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 01:01 PM Thread Starter

yea i know, stupid decision on my part. Ive got a helmet but i was just dickin around in the neighborhood and figured i didnt need it. O and i figured out why people wear gear now, cause road rash friggin hurts! Im trying to clean it out like you said, i put some hydrogen peroxide on it, wow! that hurt worse than the wreck i think. Im tryin to get most the gravel and crap out of there but its hard to tell whats asphalt and whats scab. Yea a scooter rider in full gear would look pretty funny, but ill at least start wearing pants and a jacket. The main thing ill start doin, is not bein such a dumbass. I was doin 40 around a sharp corner in the neighborhood at midnight. ??? what was i thinking? well anyways its too late now, and yes i still want a 600. No more of that squidly bullshit however. O and how long will this continue to throb and burn!?!?

P.S Vash it sounds like youve wrecked before
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 01:04 PM

Damm I would work on getting that scooter under control befor you ever worry about a gixxer.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 01:55 PM

That crap never goes away...I have a two inch round scar on my knee that looks like a healed up third degree burn, and it happened about a year ago.

Everything Vash said is the best to do...as long as there is no underlying damage, i.e. the tendons that he mentioned, or if the skin is completely gone in spots. I have seen road rash need skin grafts. Odds are it didn't get that bad. Keep it clean and get some damn gear!!!
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-16-2006, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by taylords91
Damm I would work on getting that scooter under control befor you ever worry about a gixxer.
FTW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode