Brand Loyalty - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Brand Loyalty

It seems that most here respect all of the bike brands. Am I right? I dont see flaming against different bikes (a good thing, don't get out of hand now...)

When I see someone on any bike, be it Honda, Suzuki, Kawi, Yamaha, etc. I am usually just thinking to myself- "Nice bike.." I don't really know much about the differences in the technology, performance, and capabilities between an R6 and a ZX6 or a GXR and a CBR, but it just seems like every company makes a damn nice bike and whichever fits the best and feels good is your ride.

I got a 636 because it was the best used bike for the money in my area, but now I already feel pride in my ride. I think the styling on it just looks sick, and it just wants to rocket when you hit 8 grand on the tach. I have ridden with friends on an R6 and a Triumph 600 TT and I must say that the extra 36 cc's make a big difference off the line .

Why do you like your own brand of motorcycle?

What are the main differences across brands in the same class? (I've heard that suzuki's have a more agressive riding position and hondas are more comfortable)

Are there any grudges between certain brands due to track results or other factors?

And finally, there is no doubt when I see a Ducati I am like DAMN and rubbernecking the other way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 09:26 AM
Strength and Honor

I picked my ride specifically and only because of its seating style. In the three models years preceeding the '05s I'd not sat on a single bike quite like the 636.

I will never get out of the 636 everything it has to offer and the same could be said for any supersport so the power/etc was totally irrelevant.

A minor secondary point was maintenance, which is why Ducati and non-Jap bikes didn't make the consideration list. Or so was my impression from online commentaries.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 09:52 AM

Right now there aren't alot of differences in the different brands of Japanese bikes. The 600s are very evenly matched between the 5 brands as are the 1000s. Even moreso with the liter bikes. The Suzuki GSXR1000 is about 20lbs lighter than the other 3 but they are all 4 within 5-7 rwhp of each other.

The GSXR line is almost always the best track bike out of the box. That's not likely to change anytime soon. They have been that way for 2 decades now.

Honda and Kawasaki have typically got the edge on reliability with the four but they are all very reliable. Yamaha and Suzuki always push the light weight envelope so they tend to have a few more breakages/recalls but nothing very bad just some exceptions.

Ducatis are like Ferraris. Beautiful and high performance... when they are running. They take more maintanence and tend to break down a little more but still good bikes if you can afford it.

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 09:59 AM

Most has already been said, so this is just a few minor notes. Honda's are not that comfortable, at least not with the stock seat. Its like plywood with bubble wrap on it. Kawi's seem to have the most aggressive riding position, yamaha's the least. Gixxers feel smallest, hondas... well the seat hurts too much to think about anything else. Suzi seems to be the least reliable out of the 4 (still good), Honda's the most. Honda's are also the hardest to work on, while being the most newb friendly. Yami's tend to have the worst throttle responce, Suzi's have the best. Yami and Honda seem more oriented toward high corner speed, kawi is more toward late braking and fast exits. I think thats about all the generalizations I can think about.
To me the biggest advantage in sticking with the same brand is being familuar with propriatery systems, which eases maintanance.

post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 10:24 AM

I don't have a brand loyalty, all my bike so far has been Yamaha, Suzuki, and now Honda. I guess Kawasaki is next?

But don't put me on the green one.

I am also liking the new Triumph Daytona 675, I will have to keep an eye on it to see if it turns out reliable as the Japanese counterparts. It seems to be the lightest and most agile of the middleweights.
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 10:26 AM

Actually I prefer working on Hondas as compared to Yamahas although this CBR has way too many fasteners to deal with much like the Yamahas I've worked on. The RC-51 was actually very easy to work on while my ex's YZF was a serious pain.

I should add though, I don't work on many stock bikes so that isn't something I have a real broad experience with.

Ducatis are the easiest I've seen but it's a damn good thing.
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 10:42 AM

In my case I used an Indian 45 flat head for street & then for flat tracking while I also had a 45 flat head HD that I also modified into Dirt Hill Climbing though before it was for normal riding.

Also in with two others & we opened up a m/c shop of British makes.

You can see whatever catches my attraction as a bike I want to RIDE then that is the bike & not fussy over maker. I have had Jawa, BMW & some other foreign makes to what are on the market now, not that BMW is a foreign bike.

Still to Vash's bit about the stock saddles on Honda as being plywood with bubble wrap, or something like that, I actually like the hard saddle of my Honda 929 & 954 compared to the softer saddle of my Yamaha YZF600r & when buying the 954 the head salesman was amazed when I turned down his hardly use custom made saddle (for half his cost) of his 954 , for he now had a CBR1000 mind you the 954 was his first bike in the sportclass he had ever owned & I think he was more in liking to Cruisers as milage on his 954 was beans all.

Last edited by Smitty; 06-14-2006 at 05:27 PM.
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 11:23 AM

Hi All-

There isn't a dog in the bunch between Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, and Yamaha these days. My taste typically runs towards Honda because I like the fit & finish of their bikes...and I could just as easily be swayed towards one of the others on a different day. It's a great time to be a motorcycle consumer if one is in the market!

~ Blue Jays ~
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 12:09 PM

Kawasaki

As has already been said, there isn't such a thing anymore as a bad Japanese bike.

I've always been a Kawasaki fan though. Primarily because they're engineering always places a heavy emphasis on building a strong engine, which appeals to my hot-rodder nature. They're fit and finish may not always be up to Honda standard, but you can always count on them having a stonking motor. I also feel that Kawasaki as a company has a bit more of an "in-your-face attitude"- they don't care as much about being politcally correct about their products.
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-14-2006, 12:09 PM

I'm on my 13th bike, and they've all been Kaws. They oughta give me a free one! I guess if my first bike had been a Honda, I would have only owned Hondas.

I know how Kaws' engineers think now, and it makes it easier to work on and set up the bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode