Leaving your bike in the rain? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

Leaving your bike in the rain?

Well i just moved to Naples for the summer and unfortunately there's no covered area i can leave my bike under. I plan on buying a cover for her but was just wondering how bad it is to leave bikes in the rain. It's a 03 and i'd think there's a better chance of keeping rain out of the gauges/electrical and such. One thing i have noticed is that after i left my bike in West Palm for 3 weeks i noticed there's a rust color on a lot of the chain. Thanks for the advice...it's been really wet down here in Florida lately.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 06:22 PM

Don't worry about it, unless it starts to flood. Bikes should be fine. I only have problems with carbs after it rains then FI bikes. But adding a cover will help, even if its a 5 dollar rain tarp from wal-mart...
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 07:50 PM

Hi FloridaMX5-

My feeling is the same as JBza on the topic...even a simple sheet of plastic would be beneficial if you know it is going to rain. Just keep on eye on condensation with temperature and humidty fluctuation!

~ Blue Jays ~

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 08:45 PM

Better think of something, Hurricane season is already here. With Alberta treading along west coast. I wouldn't keep my bike outside on any pouring rain and winds more than 5 mph. Besides, Naples are usually few of the first to evacuate.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 08:52 PM

Hi Z_Fanatic:

Good point about the hurricanes.

Maybe you can find a buddy who works someplace with a huge interior space to see if he/she could find an unused corner to park the bike if it looks like a really bad storm is brewing?

~ Blue Jays ~
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 09:04 PM

Yeah, there are plenty of public storage facilities if the other options do not work out. A bike doesn't take much space, I had my bike stored in my studio aparment - living room for 2 weeks last year.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 09:43 PM

ur bike will be fine as long as yea there isnt a hurricane or somthing going on.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 09:48 PM

just move into an apartment on the 1st lvl and store your bike in ur place. Tell your roomies that its an expensive sofa...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 10:20 PM

Rain in and of itself is not going to hurt the bike, think of it this way can you ride it in the rain without fear of it breaking (barring a crash) on the other hand it isn't the coolest thing to leave out there, as rain and wind can conspire to turn your ride on its side. I agree for short term in the apartment is fine and if you need to stash it for a while, get a storage unit. However despite cleaning and waxing my bike every other day ( I Know I'm really anal) and keeping it in a garage, I have had to park it in the rain at school, work etc. a number of times with no problems
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2006, 11:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by JBaz
just move into an apartment on the 1st lvl and store your bike in ur place. Tell your roomies that its an expensive sofa...
Haha...read my thread i accidently put in "customization." Already found me a dry place to keep it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode