Oy, NFL and bikes - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 09:44 AM Thread Starter
Resident Smart Ass!

Send a message via AIM to Jester Send a message via Yahoo to Jester
Oy, NFL and bikes

Oh great, another great story about athletes on bikes. You would think "Duh, that linebacker might hurt my head when he tackles me..... better wear a helmet!" "Oh, I'll be doing 75 mph on a bike.... who needs a helmet?" Dumbass!

Quote:
PITTSBURGH (AP) -- Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was injured in a motorcycle crash Monday morning and taken to a hospital.

"He was alert and conscious," said Ernie Roman, shift commander for the Allegheny County emergency service.

Steelers Dave Lockett, outside Mercy Hospital, confirmed the accident but did not provide additional details.

In only his second year in the NFL, Roethlisberger helped guide the Steelers to the Super Bowl championship last season.

Calls to Roethlisberger's agent, Leigh Steinberg, were not immediately returned.

The 24-year-old Roethlisberger has said in the past that he prefers not to wear a helmet when riding his motorcycle. He has pointed out Pennsylvania's 35-year-old state law requiring helmets to be worn was amended to make helmets optional.

In May 2005, Steelers coach Bill Cowher lectured Roethlisberger on the dangers of riding without a helmet.

"He talked about being a risk-taker and I'm not really a risk-taker. I'm pretty conservative and laid back, but the big thing is to just be careful," Roethlisberger said at the time. "I'll just continue to be careful. I told him we don't ever ride alone, we always ride in a group of people, and I think it makes it even more safe."

AP Sports Writer Ben Walker contributed to this report.

Help control the squid population, have your squid spayed or neutered

"it's not the smart ass behavior that gets to me... it's the dumb ass behavior that is a problem..." -Quote from my Aunt.

Only motorcycle riders understand why dogs stick their head out of car windows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 09:56 AM

Not too smart.

"the big thing is just to be careful"....

You can be as careful as humanly possible, but it still isn't always gonna save you from gettin' hit by somebody else. You would think that's obvious. What a nimrod.
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 10:15 AM

His bike was a 'busa too.... Probably first bike...

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 10:33 AM
Strength and Honor

I love the Steelers but that's just misguided. Wonder if he'll learn.

And according to my very brief research he rides a Harley, not a 'busa.

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 10:35 AM
S370HSSV 0773H

Send a message via Yahoo to spicersh
Quote:
"I told him we don't ever ride alone, we always ride in a group of people, and I think it makes it even more safe."
No, riding in a group does not make you safer, it just means when one squid wipes out he has a chance to take out the whole group.

What a .

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully. - Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
Resident Smart Ass!

Send a message via AIM to Jester Send a message via Yahoo to Jester
More info on Capt. No Helmet.

Quote:
PITTSBURGH Pittsburgh Steelers Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is in "serious, but stable condition" at Mercy Hospital after a motorcycle accident this morning.

According to Dr. Larry Jones, the head of trauma at Mercy, Roethlisberger is in the operating room undergoing surgery for his injuries.

In a brief statement, Dr. Jones told reporters Roethlisberger was coherent and talking with doctors before he was taken into the operating room.

Eyewitnesses tell KDKA that Roethlisberger had a green light and was headed eastbound on Second Avenue when a car turned into his path near the 10th Street Bridge around 11:30am.

Witnesses say Roethlisberger flew over the handlebars of the motorcycle and struck his head on the windshield of the car.

According to witnesses, Roethlisberger was not wearing a helmet and appeared to have head and facial injuries.

The witness tells KDKA he said his name was Ben and he seemed groggy.

Pittsburgh Police Lieutenant Kevin Kraus says city police are investigating the accident -- as they do any accident involving critical injuries.

The driver of the car -- which had Maine license plates -- left the scene with police officers.

At this point, it's not clear if any charges will be filed.

Help control the squid population, have your squid spayed or neutered

"it's not the smart ass behavior that gets to me... it's the dumb ass behavior that is a problem..." -Quote from my Aunt.

Only motorcycle riders understand why dogs stick their head out of car windows.
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 11:15 AM

group safer? maybe maybe not.

You should get noticed by cager's more easily.. yes...

but there was a wreck in route to bike wk up here in laconia. 3 died and 2 were seriously injured.

7 bikes were riding to the rally when either the car or a bike crossed the line and struck the SUV/bike "not sure what really happened" the SUV rolled over and crushed two bikers the one that hit the suv and the two the suv rolled on top of were killed instantly two bikers made it out okay of the 7 in the group.
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kanwisch
I love the Steelers but that's just misguided. Wonder if he'll learn.

And according to my very brief research he rides a Harley, not a 'busa.
I thought so too (I am a huge Steelers fan BTW also), but watch the video on ESPN and it is a sportbike of some sort, looks like a busa

http://espn.go.com/
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 11:29 AM

Send a message via AIM to saturntangerine Send a message via Yahoo to saturntangerine
He's a moron when it comes to bikes... and for the record he was on a Harley... you could recognize it as one but it looked pretty mangled from the helicopter coverage from above. He is still listed in serious but stable condition.

Needless to say, this is big news in Pittsburgh right now.

Who wants to start a poll on whether he'll become a helmet spokesman after he comes out of this?
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 11:34 AM

He should just wear his steelers helmet when he rides.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode