Another rider down - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2006, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
Another rider down

Hi, all

A couple nights ago I decided to be a squid and paid the price. Before I get into that, let me say that 99% of the time I'm on the bike, I am in full gear, which includes:
Icon Domain Helmet
Icon Timax/Timax2 Jacket
Icon Timax Pants
Teknic SMT/Icon Timax Gauntlet Gloves
Icon Motorhead Boots

Furthermore, this isn't to impress, but I have put over 6,000 safe miles on my '05 Gixxer, 2,000 on the late '92 CBR600f2, and roughtly 500 miles combined between an '04 R6, '96 CBR600F3 and '06 GSF-600F. And so, I kind of know my way around bikes.

The reason I bring all that up is because it doesn't mean a thing if you lack judgement. My friend told me to take out his '04 R6 the other night to let off some steam. I had no gear on, and was pissed off. Anybody with common sense knows this is a bad idea already. I got the bike out of the garage and rode down his driveway, but I had to go in the grass to get around his car. It was really late, so I wouldn't be surprised if there was dew on the grass. Anyways, I turned right out of his driveway and the next thing I know, I'm laying down in the middle of the street 20 feet from his drive. The bike went down on the left side, so it looks like it was a highside situation. My best bet=cold/wet tires+too much throttle made it slide, and I instinctively let off the throttle. But it happened in a flash and I didn't realize that anything had happened until I was watching the bike slide away from me. Couldn't have been doing more than 15 mph when it happened.

Obviously, I agreed to pay for the damage which included a couple fairings, the windscreen, engine cover, clutch lever, front turn, bar end and the swingarm slider which obviously can't take much of a beating.

As for me, I'm sporting some unsightly abrasions on my left forearm, shoulder, hip and leg, as well as a good chunk of skin from my right palm. But the good part of the story is that he is my best friend, and was more concerned that I was ok than the bike. Obvoiusly metal and plastic are easier to replace than a human life. But I'm just mad at myself, for one because I went out without gear, and also because I went out with my mind on something other than the ride.

A word to the wise, leave the bike alone unless you're head is on straight and you're dressed to go down. God only knows what would have happened if I had made it out onto the streets and done something stupid at much greater speeds.

I hope I get a nice ugly scar to remind me that stupidity needs to be left at home.

Sorry for the rant.
-Snake

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2006, 08:20 PM

Hi Snakesht-

What a heartfelt post...your emotion can be sensed coming through the typed words on the screen and I agree with you 100% on everything you said. Heal well and we'll see you back in the saddle.

~ Blue Jays ~
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2006, 08:41 PM

At least it happened at low speed, and you weren't hurt too badly. Sorry to hear it though. Good luck getting the bike fixed and healing up.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-11-2006, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Send a message via AIM to snakesht
Thanks to the both of you for your concern. As an owner of a sportbike that I truly love, I could only wish to be so understanding as my friend if I was in his shoes. My recovery is not nearly as important to me as getting his baby back to how she was before. Besides, a little road rash adds character.

The main point, which I don't think I managed to emphasize enough, is if you're on a bike, wear gear. Everyone that I have told the story to cannot believe that I wasn't geared up, just because they know I never ride without it. And to ride with clouded judgement is just as imparing as cage drivers and their damn cell phones, if you get my point.

ESanders2, you're right, thank goodness it was low speed. I'm sure many here have suffered much worse, so don't think I'm here for sympathy. Besides, my pride hurts worse than anything.

Blue Jays, you are absolutely correct. The disappointment I have in myself right now is indescribeable, and that leads to some pretty serious emotions, even from a stoic type like myself. But I hope at least one person reads this and will think twice before going for a ride when it's just not the time.

"The only difference between death and taxes is that death doesn't get worse every time Congress meets."
-Will Rogers
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 03:48 AM
Strength and Honor

Very sorry to hear of your experience.

On top of the gear plea, when you're not really focusing on what you're doing, as you've noted, riding isn't a good choice. But its hard to remember that in some states of mind.

Rest up and heal quickly

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 08:57 AM

Glad to hear your alright. Riding pissed is never a good idea. Seems like the bike took a good bit of damage for the speed you were at. Is it just me or do newer bikes seem to be less able to take a beating than the older ones? But yea, wear your gear always. I made the same mistake you did not to long ago and came out with a fractured shoulder
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 09:14 AM

Sorry to hear about your accident, but know that your post served a purpose. I find myself out riding without my jacket on hot summer afternoons, but sweating a bit at a red light or two is much better than sliding acrossed the concrete at 60 MPH. Your post brought light to the fact that sliding acrossed the concrete at any speed isn't worth it.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 12:17 PM

Sepias cought onto this part as well being "--to let off some steam.-------" as you put it. Being NUMBER ONE no matter what of said errors. At least you had to guts to put it on this board.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 01:10 PM

Just goes to show you can end up going down anytime; doesn't matter who you are. Having your mind right and gearing up-definitely at the top of the list. Thanx for sharing your experience and get well soon.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-12-2006, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by snakesht
...to ride with clouded judgement is just as imparing as cage drivers and their damn cell phones, if you get my point...
I hear you, mate. When I wake up for work, I make a decision straight away if I'm in the mood to ride, or not. It's a "yes" or "no" answer. There is no "maybe".

Glad to hear that your momentary lack of judgement hasn't cost you more than a bit of skin and a few dollars.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode