Commuter afternoon energizer - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-09-2006, 03:53 AM Thread Starter
Strength and Honor

Commuter afternoon energizer

I often commute on the bike and when it comes time to head home I feel a bit lethargic. Outside of caffeine, any recommendations for getting my engine restarted for the ride home?

SportbikeWorld Supermoderator

Dragging knee is for the track, and dragging tail is for the lot. --Kane Friesen

When you're in a car, you're watching a movie; when you're on a bike, you're in the movie. --Robert Pirsig

Identity theft is not Fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-09-2006, 05:52 AM

Sugar Free Red Bull for me. It gives you low carb wings.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-09-2006, 06:13 AM

Anything that will elevate your heartbeat. I ussually roll a stoppie out of the parking lot (not on the street)

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-09-2006, 08:24 AM

Send a message via AIM to conrice
id say a powerbar. might taste a little bit like cardboard, but it'll get your body moving again.

that made dropping acid seem like a mild cure for boredom

'95 F3 Smokin Joe - tried to kill me, so i returned the favor and parted it out

'03 "Titanium" CBR 954 - frame sliders, reupholstered seats, cut and gutted stock exhaust, -1/+2 520 conversion, BMC race filter
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-09-2006, 08:29 AM

A nice wheelie outta the parking lot always works for me . Also some good tunes on the MP3 player .
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2006, 05:29 PM

"I often commute on the bike and when it comes time to head home I feel a bit lethargic. Outside of caffeine, any recommendations for getting my engine restarted for the ride home?"

I commute on my bike(s) to work quite often. Some of the things I found to help:

-Try not to skip meals
-Keep muchie food at your workplace so you can at your choice munch something before heading out.
-If necessary, chill out at the workplace a while before heading out. I don't like spending any more time at work than I have to, but sometimes I can tell I need to collect my thoughts, even if I'm just staring at nothing for 5 minutes.
-Drink water through the day to keep hydrated. Riding dries me out pretty quick. Don't just drink before heading out, drink water (I try to avoid cokes and the like) all through the day.

Funny thing about dehydration is you don't feel thirsty until you're aready in the beginning stages of it, and it's tougher to catch up once you've fallen behind. Therefore, I try to drink water with a large glass mug (about 2 1/2 coffee cups worth) at a time, not 2 seconds of slurping at a water fountain. I'm a hefty guy (230 lbs?) so what amount of water works for me may not work for you.

I figure I'm drinking enough if I have to urinate several times a day and it all comes out clear or close to clear. If it's dark and smelly, that's a sign of dehydration.

...and by the time I ride home, which isn't far: 11 miles, I usually get another big glass of water as soon as I'm in the kitchen, because by this time my mouth is starting to feel dry again. In other words, I make this an all waking hour habit of drinking water.

At some point I heard another good reason to drink water this much: it helps keep kidney stones from forming. I haven't had a K-stone problem but I know a guy who didn't listen to his doctor to "drink water, lots of water" and he had 2 kidney stones in the same year.

I dunno if this will help your before ride home lethargy, but it can't hurt.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2006, 07:16 PM

Call it a day 'round 11:00.....................
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-18-2006, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MadMaximillian
"I often commute on the bike and when it comes time to head home I feel a bit lethargic. Outside of caffeine, any recommendations for getting my engine restarted for the ride home?"

I commute on my bike(s) to work quite often. Some of the things I found to help:

-Try not to skip meals
-Keep muchie food at your workplace so you can at your choice munch something before heading out.
-If necessary, chill out at the workplace a while before heading out. I don't like spending any more time at work than I have to, but sometimes I can tell I need to collect my thoughts, even if I'm just staring at nothing for 5 minutes.
-Drink water through the day to keep hydrated. Riding dries me out pretty quick. Don't just drink before heading out, drink water (I try to avoid cokes and the like) all through the day.

Funny thing about dehydration is you don't feel thirsty until you're aready in the beginning stages of it, and it's tougher to catch up once you've fallen behind. Therefore, I try to drink water with a large glass mug (about 2 1/2 coffee cups worth) at a time, not 2 seconds of slurping at a water fountain. I'm a hefty guy (230 lbs?) so what amount of water works for me may not work for you.

I figure I'm drinking enough if I have to urinate several times a day and it all comes out clear or close to clear. If it's dark and smelly, that's a sign of dehydration.

...and by the time I ride home, which isn't far: 11 miles, I usually get another big glass of water as soon as I'm in the kitchen, because by this time my mouth is starting to feel dry again. In other words, I make this an all waking hour habit of drinking water.

At some point I heard another good reason to drink water this much: it helps keep kidney stones from forming. I haven't had a K-stone problem but I know a guy who didn't listen to his doctor to "drink water, lots of water" and he had 2 kidney stones in the same year.

I dunno if this will help your before ride home lethargy, but it can't hurt.
Now dont go water crazy, to much can cause just as many problems...2-3 liters a day should do it for most. significantly more than that can throw your sodium levels outta wack. By significantly more i mean like in the area of 3 gallons
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 04:55 AM

A good slug of water.

A few ccs short of a full litre.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-19-2006, 08:28 AM

hahah you guys are funny just do a quick stoppie or wheelie lol. no one sasys anything to you?

I dont drink coffee and try to stay away from sodas and such. I prefer to drink tea it has less caffeine and i drink unsweet so no sugar, its alot better for you than coffee or other things. Lipton makes the cold brew and that only takes a few min, plus a take a sport bottle full of tea with me from home in the morning, i ride (well when im not overseas) my bike 90% of the time to work its about a 35 min ride
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode