Is that a ninja? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Is that a ninja?

Why is it that, despite the massive Suzuki logos and GSX-R Emblems, people who apparently don't know much about bikes still ask "Is that a Ninja?"? I mean seriously, I could be riding an R1, a Hayabusa, or a friggin' Aprilia, and I still bet they'd ask me if it's a Ninja...not a big deal or anything, just wondering if anyone else has been asked this before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 10:44 AM

Hi All-

It happens occasionally. I tell folks it "cuts like a ninja, slices like a razor blade" and they move to another topic.

~ Blue Jays ~
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 10:49 AM

isnt ninja what you call all crotchrockets?

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 01:12 PM

yeah there is a vast majority of people for whom Ninja is their first guess when naming a sportbike.

Kinda funny actually. You're not counting the fact that they may not know which company makes ninjas, and are therefore assuming suzuki does.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 01:29 PM

Weren't Ninja's the first really popular sportbike line? I'm guessing thats why most people think that instantly. Most people are ignorant though and choose to ignore the obvious. You bike could say Suzuki Hayabusa in big bright red letters on the side of your bike, and I'm sure someone will still want to ask if its a Ninja. I wouldn't be surprised to find out that some people have been asked if their crotch rocket was an HD...
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 02:04 PM

I wouldn't call it ignorance. I'd call it great marketing on Kawi's part.

In God, we trust; all others must provide data.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 03:23 PM

Weird I have never been asked if The Duc is a Ninja...however i have been ask by a slight confused older man..."Ducati?...who makes that...is it a Honda?" I have also been asked if it's as fast as a harley like 3-4 times, and also had someone say Yeah ducati, thats that new korean bike right?(Hyosung?!?) Shit i wish i was making all this up but the non riding public are pretty dim when it comes to bikes and models.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 03:29 PM

I haven't been asked that yet, but when that happens, I'll simply reply with, "Yep, it sure is "
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cookeetree
I wouldn't call it ignorance. I'd call it great marketing on Kawi's part.
yup yup. And thanks to Geico, they are expanding the ninja name in their TV motorcycle insurance ads.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 04:53 PM

Suzuki were the first to try & offer the public a bike close to what they were racing------so that would mean the GSXR often with last year's power plant.

Still if you want insult & see ignorance of none-riders I moved into this town with a Triumph Tiger 100 500cc with dual carbs, tach, clip-ons, Girling extended rear shocks, rear sets, alluminium petrol tank tucked in head lamp, allow mudguards & such----in other words a Cife Racer PLUS three Greeves dirt comp bikes being a Hawkstone 200cc, another modified to tough enduros, & a Scottish again all there being 200cc Villiers with top end by Greeves Amal monoboc carbs & such.

So would roll in town with the trials bike for a cuppa & outside would be the distinctive Greeves around '62 & '64 of where people would say they really like my Honda, to others saying they saw me riding my Honda on the hwy when in fact it was the Triumph.

All you saw of Honda were 50 to 125cc bike & first attempt at the 305 Hawk, while Yamaha, Suzy, & kwacker were stuggeling to establish dealer to handle their 50 to 80cc two-strokes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode