Are Expensive Helmets worth it? And Where to Buy Helmet In Canada? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Are Expensive Helmets worth it? And Where to Buy Helmet In Canada?

Hi all, I would like to say that I am new to the forums, but not to bikes, I am currently looking for my first bike, a CBR 600RR.
Anyways, I have a crappy HJC helmet right now, and my safety course is coming up in 3 weeks.
The helemt I have would be good enough, but I have been using it for my car when i do 1/4 race days, so I am uneasy about using it outside a parking lot.

Anyways, I like the way the shoei hemlets fit. But looking at the different models I dont know what to get, sitting on the shelf they all seem to be the same besides the graphics. Is there a benifit to spending 400 instead of only 150? will it save my head better? fog less?

I really like the RF-1000 Picotte 3 TC-5, but dont want to spend double on a sticker job.

Also being in Canada is there a good recomended place to buy from? I have been looking on helmetharbor, but shipping from the states to here usually kills me in customs charges. So somewhere cheap in Canada would be great. (they want 800 in the local stores for the helmet i listed)

Thanks in Advance

EDIT, looking it doesnt seem helmetharbor ships to canada anyways.

Last edited by Jeff000; 06-04-2006 at 06:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 06:13 PM

As with most things in life, you get what you pay for. From the protection standpoint, there shouldn't be to much of a difference since all helmets have to pass certain tests, provided they are DOT, SNELL, or BSI approved. The only difference would be to what degree they passed. The big thing is comfort and weight. My first helmet, and HJC CL-12, weighed about 4 1/2 to 5lbs were as my new helmet, a Suomy Spec1R weighs a little over 2.5lbs which is a world of difference on your neck. It is also alot more comfortable in the padding department, and they are also removeable. The visor is better as well, its UV protected, non scratch, and rain ex'ed. But it also costs $499 new, were as the HJC runs $100 (atleast it does now, it was origianally $150). If you like the way the Shoei fits, they are worth the extra cash in my opinion. Also, unlike the cheaper ones, a more expensive helmet should last longer, provided you don't wreck. Most people I know that buy cheaper helmets, HJC's, KBM's and what not, usually replace them every one to two years, but I know a few people who have been wearing the same Shoei and Suomy helmets for 3 and 4 years. Thats just my . Sorry I don't know anything about shopping in Canada, hopefully Smitty's will catch wind of this thread and give you some good pointers on stores.

Sepias
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 06:17 PM

The amount, if any, of extra protection in Arai helmets is questionable. Some even claim that the other helmets that are only DOT approved (instead of both DOT and Snell) are safer.

Through experience I've learned how the helmet fits you is twice as important as how safe the actual helmet is. Buy the helmet that fits you the best. It'll be the safest helmet you can buy.

I'm not really happy with my Arai purchase. I spent about $650 on this helmet I have now and it doesn't really seem much better than a $300 one.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

hmm, wish I could find the weights of the helmets somewhere?

I will end up with a shoei (L) because it fits the shape of my head best. Just didnt know if there was a good reason for the price differences, I would get the X11, but then I wouldnt be able to get a nice jacket... and well that wouldnt be good.

EDIT: damn the paint job adds a good amount to the price.

Last edited by Jeff000; 06-04-2006 at 06:50 PM.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 06:56 PM

Wish granted:

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...et-weights.htm

Also, the fact that a paint job alone can add over $100 to the price of a helmet pretty much goes to show that the price you pay isn't really representing what you get out of it.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 07:48 PM

The paint job isn't always the only thing that changes with the price of the helmet in the same catagory, atleast not with Suomy. While the shell and weight remains the same, the decals, interior vabrics, and visors changed with the helmet price. If you can't find a decent local place to buy your stuff, look at Helmetcity.com or even Ebay so long as you buy new. If you know a local privately owned bike shop in your area, you might hit them up as well. Most of the ones in my area are also parts and acessories dealers and give good discounts off the MSRP. Good luck,

Sepias
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SepiasSoul
As ....My first helmet, and HJC CL-12, weighed about 4 1/2 to 5lbs were as my new helmet, a Suomy Spec1R weighs a little over 2.5lbs which is a world of difference on your neck. It is also alot more comfortable in the padding department, and they are also removeable. The visor is better as well, its UV protected, non scratch, and rain ex'ed. But it also costs $499 ....
Sepias
I crashed in the HJC CL12. I had the helmet around 3 years. The impact on it was only minimal and it did what it was supposed to do. But after the crash I decided to get a better helmet. Just bought the Suomy Spec1R. The difference in weight alone is worth the investment I think. Just make sure you get fitted right for whatever lid you do get Jeffooo.

3mo

Truth is incontrovertible; malice may attack it and ignorance may deride it; but, in the end; there it is.

Winston Churchill

http://www.cortavine.com
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-05-2006, 12:41 PM

Cannot give you any great proof Jeff for I found the Shoei helmet was the best on the market & fit perfectly back in '84 I think & have stuck with Shoei ever since & especially once they came out with the same wide (then) plastic visor for one is not finding the visor are continually changed every few yrs which is a bummer if you want to purchase a new on & junk an accidently scratched one PLUS the gears for going up pr notch & down again are simply fault free. For on some other makes I found the plastic gears wore out about once every two months.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-06-2006, 06:32 PM

i originally purchased an HJC, but upgraded to a Shoei recently. I feel like the fit is so much better on the Shoei that it does make it safer.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-07-2006, 06:32 AM

I really like my Suomy helmets. I crashed one late last year and just bought another replacement. Lightweight is worth the extra money but in my opinion, graphics are not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode