Close one - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 08:05 AM Thread Starter

Close one

Out riding with a couple of guys today. We come up to a righthander. The turn's marked 15mph.. I would say it favors a 90 degree turn. So I make my approach; choose my line; look thru the turn....got my lean on....I go to bang the throttle to get thru turn there was a wet spot which I didn't see because I was looking thru to my exit . As soon as hit the throttle on the wet spot the back tire spins out....the front end starts ocillating back & fourth. The bike is now in highside mode & I have no control of the bike whatsoever. It happened so fast I didn't have time to think.I reacted instinctively,but I didn't panick because I knew no matter what happens I was in full gear...leather jacket-armor elbows-etc; icon field armor leg guards under my jeans, and sidi riding boots.So I wasn't in fear of getting hurt. I held on to the bars and was thankfully able to ride it out. I Held my arms up in the air triumphantly! and continued on my way. We all know that being able to think thru a situation is half of the battle, so even though everything turned out well I still don't know what I shoud & shoulnot do in this situation. Could someone please shed some light on the subject....thanx..sorry about the long winded thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 09:00 AM

http://www.robspeed.com/highside.htm

Good to hear you are okay!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Yeah thanx. I'm glad too

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 10:20 AM

Hi sixer-

Glad to hear everything turned out fine for you!

In the years I've been riding I've only twice had the rear of the motorcycle start to come around on me and both were in wet conditions when I thought it had rained enough to wash away the film of oil, transmission fluid, gasoline, and diesel. One happened on a curve and the other happened while braking in a straight line while approaching a tollbooth.

In both situations I kept the bars turned towards the direction of the skidding rear tire and kept the exact same pressure on the brakes so as not to upset the chassis, wheel speed, suspension, or traction. I'd like to say it was skill...but the reality is that it was 97% luck combined with 3% calm demeanor. Should this ever happen again in the future I will use this same technique.

~ Blue Jays ~

Last edited by Blue Jays; 06-04-2006 at 10:22 AM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 12:25 PM

Oh Shite for part of a second, that seems like everything has slowed down, in time, & you also know you have really puckered up. Glad you came out of that one & there was nothing you could do for we would all have been in the same boot.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

thanx for the vote of confidence everyone. just one more thing: I had said earlier that I didn't panic because I had on my gear. I realize that people can still be injured or worse even with gear,but I knew that I had done everything I could to protect myself. That in turn left me a clearer mind to deal the task at hand.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 07:32 PM

Way to hang in there with it Sixer - glad to hear you'ge in good shape along with the bike.

3mo
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 07:44 PM

Sounds like it was a fun ride there. Glad to hear you rode through it. Like Blue Jays, it's only happened to me in wet weather, or when I jump on the rear brake for the hell of it Don't you just love little moments like that that make your adrenaline pump through your veins like a fire hose? Makes you nice and light headed

Sepias
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 08:09 PM

I went down one time on fresh blacktop. Come over a hill pretty fast and a car was stopped in the road. I went to stop and the back tire lost traction and came around. Its sounds stupid but it happened so fast but at the same time it was like it was in slow motion.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 10:35 PM

I have to say if you ride in rain or wet spots, it will happen occasionally. And there's no way to prepare for that except keeping the thottle steady, and the bike will take care of itself, if not, you'll know a second after you did it wrong.

Guys who do say none of these incidents ever happend to them on the rain, well then either' they're not riding a proper sporbike, or not riding it hard enough.

I think what could be even scarier if the front starts to slide at a wetspot while the bike is still at a lean. Same thing, keeping throttle steady.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode