How can I keep my new bike scratch free? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-03-2006, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

How can I keep my new bike scratch free?

Everyone,

Questions. Just purchased an 06 Triumph Speed Triple (brand new) in all black. Spoke to a guy who had one in all black and said painted areas will scratch easily. I want to avoid this as much as possible since any scratch on black will be very noticeable.

1. Can anyone recommend protective spray ons?

2. I'm thinking about adding clear adhesive to high wear areas for protection. Any opinions on this? (Did this with my ZRX 1100 on the spine of the tank and it worked very well there)

3. Any other tips on how to remain as scratch free as possible - or to minimize the appearance of scratchs?

Thanks in advance for any help! I'll post pics of the bike when its delivered to me!

3mo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-03-2006, 08:29 PM

As to preventing scratches, be VERY cautious as to what cloth you use to clean/polish. Test any clothes out on a very inconspicuous area first just to make sure. Oh, and be careful about most microfiber cloths, since they are microscopic strands of polymer that basically scratch the surface, which is the reason they clean so well.

As to hiding scratches, I have had very good results with Eagle One Nano Wax. The black areas of my bike are the only parts that show scratches and this stuff works very well, especially on the really tiny swirl-mark scratches.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-03-2006, 09:12 PM

yeah, keep it in your garage.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 09:18 AM

i disagree about microfiber. i have used a lot of different polishing cloths, and microriber scratches the least. A lot of times cotton will hold little dust particles and rub them against the surface, whereas microfiber "hides" the dust better inside the cloth and keeps it from scratching the paint.

I repainted my eclipse black a year ago, and remember looking at it while it was still in the paint booth after being finished. the surface was mirrored and perfect. But even after the first washing and waxing (with good car care products, cotton polishing/waxing cloths), I noticed lots of little swirl marks everyhwere. This is just going to happen no matter how you take care of your car. Everything can make little scratches, even your fingertips.
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 09:24 AM

sorry accidentally submitted that one before i was finished.

anyway, you can't totally prevent scratches, especially on a bike when you're constantly rubbing against the tank. (I've actually found that some textile pants scratch worse than jeans, which makes sense b/c jeans are a lot softer. I imagine it's the same with leather pants). But you can try to minimize the scratches--

I would wax frequently, that can help reduce swirls/scratches.
There's also a bunch of swirl removers out there that work well, so if the scratches become too noticable you can use one of those. Meguire's works well and isn't overpriced.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 09:41 AM

Hi All-

Some good suggestions so far. I would include never wiping the motorcycle while it is dry. Spray the bike with warm water to wash away any microscopic grit or dust before taking a cloth to it.

Use a high-quality swirl remover every now and again and always keep a good coat of wax on the motorcycle. I make it a habit to wash my bike after each ride...especially if there are lots of dead bugs because they can "etch" themselves into the paint if allowed to sit there. My preferred cloth is old towels that have been washed about a million times so they're very soft.

Lastly, store the motorcycle in a garage with a soft and breathable cotton bedsheet gently draped over it. This will allow moisture to come and go as the humidity level rises and falls...while keeping additional dust off the bike.

~ Blue Jays ~

Last edited by Blue Jays; 06-04-2006 at 08:31 PM.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice thus far. Any opinions on using adhesive mil material on the high wear areas? Or static plastic? I'm thinking this might be a good safe gaurd. Any opinions would be great - thanks

3mo
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 03:11 PM

As far as washing goes, I wash my bike once in the morning, once in the afternoon so as to keep the microscopic dust to a minimum, and i usually put about three coats of wax, followed by two coats of polish a day on her before sealing her into a temperature/humidity controlled anti-exposure cocoon that I bought a couple years ago from an engineering firm. (great find, BTW!)

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 03:39 PM

I tend to wash my bike once a week, and wax it after every wash. Every three to four weeks I compound the whole thing to remove the wax, and then start over (ofcorse this is all before I wrecked her ) I usually didn't wash or clean bugs off her when I got off, but I always windexed the entirety of the bike while it warms up before each ride. I have never had a problem with scratches, other than those that I caused in drops lol. I would avoid any adheasive stuff though, simply because it can pull the paint, or leave nasty dirt lines around its edges. Plus you would have to pull it off to wax underneath it, if you don't keep enough wax on it the paint will start to fade, especially black. I always have used a genuine shammy cloth to dry my bike, and just paper towles when I Windex. After waxing I use an old 100% cotton shirt that has been washed alot to clean the wax, I use Meguirs wax and turtle wax polishing compound BTW.

Sepias
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 04:01 PM

i wash my bike usualy at lunch at work and use air from the compressor to dry my bike and wax once a week.

scott
2002 CBR 954 RR
when you are on a honda you are on the best
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode