Starting her back up - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-02-2006, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Starting her back up

I got up to my dads last night, and went out to see if my bike wanted to turn over. She has been sitting for three weeks now, but perked right up and sounds pretty good. I haven't taken her out yet, I wanted to input on what I should look at before I go back on her. For those of you who don't know, I went down on her three weeks ago and shattered the left side fairing. I rode her back to the house, all of 1 1/2 miles and parked her until my shoulder got back into shape (fractured the shoulder blade). Anyways I went out today, put her on the rear stand and cleaned the chain, I sprayed it with WD40 and wiped it down really well with a rag, then sprayed it down with alot of Maxima chain lube to get all the dirt that came from the fall. I also went over the brakes with brake cleaner to get the grit off of them. I also ran quickly though the gears while it was on the stand to make sure their all still in working order. Anyone else have any suggestions on what to look for before I go out and test her? I know the forks and frame are straight, atleast they look it, I wont know for sure until I'm on it and don't feel any shakes. Thanks for the input all.

Sepias
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-02-2006, 09:08 PM

Make sure you check for any small things that can fly off, or might have come dislodged during the accident.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-03-2006, 12:04 AM

I had dirt flying out of the area where my fairings overlap for quite sometime after I went down.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-03-2006, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

I've pulled all my fairings, except the front cowling and the seat pans, simply so the bike looks like it "suppose" to look stripped lol. I've got some SharkSkinz race fairings coming in, but that'll take 4 weeks for them to make them and get them to me. Is there anything I should listen out for, or check mechanically before I go for a spin? I'm planning on goin a little later tonight, its been raining all day and is just letting off. Thanks again for the info.

Sepias
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-03-2006, 08:16 PM

Look for oil & coolant leaks. Visually check the forks, swingarm, frame, and subframe for straightness or signs of damage. Take a ride, start out very slowly. Check brakes and shifting. Check to make sure the bike doesn't pull to one side or the other. If it checks out, ride it.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 01:32 AM

Bikes are so cheap to fix and get back on it than cars. I forget that sometimes, but comparatively, sportbiking is still so inexpensive compared to other good sports like autocross or drifting. And sportbikes are almost ready for the track right out of the crate.

I can even name other hobbies like making and painting models or r/c racing that can be so much more expensive with none of the adrenaline.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-04-2006, 08:12 AM

oh yeah total off subject but hobbies like building rc planes can be expensive.

I have a couple friends totally obsessed with that. They showed me some videos of bloopers, apparently those guys use custom made compressed air cylinders to push the gear down on their planes, on some of the huge flying models, and sometimes the compressed air system just blows and your 8 thousand dollar model you spent 2 years building in your basement just blows into confetti lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode