Difference in tires if I just commute?? - Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-29-2006, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Difference in tires if I just commute??

the tires I have look pretty worn because of the previous owner. It has the Pirelli Dragon Supercorsa on it right now which i've heard is for track use mainly. I just realized that the thread on my tires are showing an i MUST replace them. For a person who doesn't hit the twisties (will in the future) and rides to commute, will I notice a difference If I slap on some Pilot powers? Or will I only notice the grip difference if leaning like you pros.Also, Because I'm scared as shit to lean and and im a pretty new rider, will putting on new tires be a good upgrade? Remember that I've been riding on some worn out almost bald supercorsa

Edit: I've read in a few threads that changing to a better tire improved there confidence because they can feel better grip, but i dont know if that applied to the guys who've been riding for years or the new guys

Last edited by Liqwed; 05-29-2006 at 03:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-29-2006, 03:54 PM

there are so many threads on this dude. get the pilot powers or the dunlop 208's which are now the qualifiers now.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-29-2006, 04:32 PM
Super Moderator

Dunlop D220s. I'm running them on both my bikes now, and have no complaints. I've had friends say that they have gotten 7 to 8 thousand miles out of them, which is over double what I get from the D208s.

Dan
1991 FZR 1000 - built 1040 with race cams, Akrapovic full exhaust, and mild suspension work
2004 YZF R1 - Graves full exhaust, velocity stacks, BMC race filter, and Power Commander. Rear Ohlins. Forks rblt with Race Tech springs and Gold Valves.
2005 20th Anniversary V-Max (0098/2000) - T boost,
2005 YZF R6 track bike - Graves full exhaust, Race Tech suspension

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-29-2006, 05:15 PM

What is the make & model of the bike. Like is it a modern late 90s to 2000 sportbike or is it a regular riding position bike?

So far from the tyres being pointed out then probably Bridgestone BT-020 would be a good buy as the new Yamaha FZ6 bikes are fitted with them & all seem pleased with them. I go a bit sticker with Bridgestone BT-012 on the front & BT-014 on the rear of the Yamaha YZF-600r, Honda 929, & Honda 954 bikes.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-29-2006, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for al the replies so far, but I'm really not concerned as to which tire I should get, I sort of had my mind on the Pilot powers. Really my main question was, will changing my tires affect the bikes performance and handling GREATLY even if I dont lean hard? Like I said I am really using my bike to commute and possibly in the future hit the twisties and my current tires are almost bald from the previous owner. So when I switch tires and ride like I normaly do will I notice a drastic change in grip and such?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-29-2006, 05:30 PM

I'm a Metzler fan myself. Ive tried the D208's and don't like them much. But I love my Metzler M1's I'm planning on getting some Metzler M3's next. They are good on long rides and also great in the twisties. The somtimes cost a bit more depending on were you live, but I think they are well worth it.

Sepias
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-29-2006, 05:33 PM

+1 on the bridgestones. If your just commuting and not taking the twisties, you can get almost 10k miles out of those tires easily. They have decent traction too.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-29-2006, 05:56 PM

Hi Liqwed-

Another vote for Metzeler tires from me, too. Durable, supple, predicatable, and the hands-down winner for wet performance. In my riding life I've been on Bridgestone, Dunlop, and Metzeler at various times...and my clear preference has been cemented at this point!

~ Blue Jays ~
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 10:37 AM

Well I'll chime in on this since I have some pretty good first hand knowledge.

I ran pilot powers on my R6, and I do a LOT of commuting on it. Like almost 1k miles a week.

The pilot powers are great tires in my opinion, but they are a bit soft for constant use, so I took them off and I only use them when I'm going to go out carving or doing serious riding. You are definitely correct that they will increase performance.

However, I found that the diablo's worked great for me as a replacement tire, they still have great performance, although they do take a little longer to warm up, but they are a much longer lasting tire than the powers if you are doing a lot of commuting. Basically I was eating up performance tires running around in straight lines on the freeway to and back from work, and thats not very cost effective.

The diablos still give me good cornering, I run on them great once they are warmed up and I dont notice much loss in the twisties, and I'm saving myself hella bucks. I was going thru 2 or more sets of powers a season, and only 1 of the diablos. So now I keep both around , the powers for special occasions, and the diablos for every day riding.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-01-2006, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Liqwed
Thanks for al the replies so far, but I'm really not concerned as to which tire I should get, I sort of had my mind on the Pilot powers. Really my main question was, will changing my tires affect the bikes performance and handling GREATLY even if I dont lean hard? Like I said I am really using my bike to commute and possibly in the future hit the twisties and my current tires are almost bald from the previous owner. So when I switch tires and ride like I normaly do will I notice a drastic change in grip and such?

The answer is no....unless you've already developed your skills to the point where you are sliding around on your Michelins, Pirellis, or whatever.

I recently bought an Avon Azaro rear tire. There was no difference in handling or feel, I've ridden it to the edges without any traction issues, and they're on their way to lasting almost twice as long as any of the other tires mentioned in the posts above................

Sure those other tires will grip better, but only at a point which more than 90% of street riders never reach
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Sportbike Forum: Sportbike Motorcycle Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode